Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 14:54
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%
Default Here's my official commitment..

I, Jude, make this contract with myself and my fellow challengers: I commit to staying physically active for the next eight weeks. I will use this thread to stay accountable ... Each Friday, I will make goals and post them. And I am going to do my very best to achieve ‘em, too!

Week One …
I will go to Curves and not wimp out Monday, Wednesday, and Friday--and complete the entire stretch afterward!
I will walk or do other aerobic exercise* at least 2x
(*IF my "Walk away the pounds" tapes arrive, I will do the one mile tape. If not, I'll walk or climb my steps for 30 minutes.)
I'll stretch after the aerobic work, too!

Extra Credit ...
Name three benefits you get from exercise that have nothing to do with weight

1) I get de-stressed (rather than DIstressed)
2) I have more energy.
3) It feels good to take time and do something just for me.

Jude
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 18:14
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Challenge Logo

TDC Fitness Challenge Official Graphics
We’re lucky to have graphics provided by a very talented Marebear! Mary created three different logos you may want to add to your signature line … Choose your favorite!

http://www.spundreams.com/madebymary/tdcchallenge1.jpg

http://www.spundreams.com/madebymary/tdcchallenge3.jpg

http://www.spundreams.com/madebymary/tdcchallenge2.jpg

Basic instructions for adding a graphic
1) Copy the address
Go to the picture you like; underneath you’ll see the web address; highlight it. While your pointer is still on the text, right click the mouse and choose ‘copy’.

2) Click ‘Profile’ near the top of this page

3) Click ‘Signature’

4) Insert the web address of your favorite image
Go to the main posting area and click to bring your curser into the main posting area; right click the mouse and choose ‘paste’.

5) Highlight text and click on the Image Formatting button
The Image Formatting button is yellow and looks like a mountain and sun.

6) You should now see something like this:

[IMG]the web address you chose[/IMG]

---> Make sure there are no blank spaces

7) Click ‘Preview Signature’ to see if it looks right to you.

8) Click ‘Save Signature’ if you’re happy with the results.

That should be it! If you have any problems, please don’t hesitate to PM me or leave a message here.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 18:59
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I would very much like to join this fitness challenge and I hope I dn't have to invoke the Alien Abduction Challenge this time! Fridays are busy for me, so I will probably end up posting on the weekend, rather than Friday, with my goals for the following week.

I've scaled back my fitness goals a little -- at least temporarily -- and right now I am just focusing on brisk walking supplemented by crunches to try to work on my flabby abdomen. My goals for the next week are to walk a minimum of four days for at least three miles each time. I've been walking at the rate of 3.5 or 4 miles per hour (I'm faster earlier in the day), so three miels takes me a little less than an hour. Ideally, I'd like to do more than that, but I'm trying to be realistic. I'll also do crunches at least three days.

I'd like to get back to going to the YMCA and working out on the treadmill/swimming, but I don't think I am quite ready to do that yet. That's a long-term goal right now: before the end of this challenge I will start working out at the Y again.

Three benefits I get from exercise (other than weight loss);
  • Increased feelings of physical well being
  • Increased ability to mentally concentrate
  • Fewer mood swings
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 20:20

Plan: Atkins/Paleo
Stats: 255/233/150 Female 5ft 6.5inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I, Lynn, am joining in this fitness challenge, and hope that I will follow through with all that I hope to achieve.

Daily week one goals:
Mon-Wed-Fri---1 hour walk and work with weights for arms
Tues-Thurs----1 hour pilates
Sat and Sun---I will either walk or do an arobic videotape.

3 benefits of exercising which have nothing to do with weight loss:
1) Know that I am helping my heart and have more energy.
2) Fulfilmet in doing something and sticking to it.
3) Knowing that I am doing something that will help me keep up with the kids.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 09:15
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I am here, though I am honestly just setting my goal this week to survive it lol.. I don't have my tv or dvd player (to do any exercise video's) but its not like I am sitting on my butt we have been moving over the past few days (happy thanksgiving to me...) and I am trying to get the last of the stuff this afternoon and hopefully get everything unpacked this week while working full time plus OT lol
at the moment my main goal is trying to get back to eating low carb but we won't have a frig or microwave until dec 3rd if I knew where the can opener was that might also help! bless my step-grandmother's heart but her packing is not very orginized :/

I can do this anyways, 3 benefits which have nothing to do with weight loss:
1)depending on what I do I can energize myself or relax myself
2)I sleep better (sleeping has always been a problem for me)
3) my self esteem has gone up with it

hopefully next week will be better!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 14:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/336/179 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default I'm here, I'm here...

Hi all, I Teresa, am a committed follower of Monika and the TDC Clan. I will strive to do my best, post regularly and be an active participant.

My three benefits are:
1) my shrinking self
2) my physically stronger self
3) my more energized self

Thanks for the inspiration and organization!
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 18:21

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm back again! This time I'm going to start with some simple goals. I got a little ahead of myself and my back injury that's in recovery, and I became overwhelmed. So... for my first week I plan to:

1) Hit Curves 3x no matter what work and family life throws my way;
2) Get walking in 5x- whether it be the mile I do at work or WAP after work; and finally
3) Take the safe route in all my activities so that I do not tick off my back.

My 3 benefits which have nothing to do with weight loss are:

1) Feeling satisfied that I've done something good for myself and my family (esp. since it has nothing to do w/food);
2) Knowing I'm doing something to help sustain a longer, healthier life;
3) It's an awesome stress reliever.

Here's to a great start folks!
Nikki
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 19:31
Registered Member

Plan: SYNDROME X
Stats: 252/162/150 Female 65 INCHES
BF:
Progress: 88%

{{{{{Monicka}}}}}
I was just about to get a search party out for you!!!! I am so happy you are back. You have been such an inspiration and I attribute much of my success to your thread and all the members.
I ,Lynn,am totally committed to my WOL and the TDC group. I will stay physically active for the next eight weeks and keep up with posting each friday.
Week One...
I will walk 3 miles a day on treadmill with 2lb weights~3.0 incline
I will continue with 20 minute aerobics tape.
I will start tae bo tape and alternate with stationary bike-15minutes a day
I will take off one day a week and do something positive for myself!
Extra Credit...
1. I get truly energized for the day which shows in everything I do.
2. I have noticed my anxiety level going down-even dealing with stressful situations.
3. I am happier-all the time!
Its great to be here with everyone!
Lynn
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 11:47

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Hi All,
I've already put in what I am doing for this week, but wondered how everyone smushes everything into their schedules? I don't know if my family and work really keep me as busy as I think, or if I use them as an excuse not to set time for me to get moving. As is I get up by 5:30 to get ready for work and to take my son to school. I pick him up after school and get home around 4:00. Start laundry, dinner etc then after dinner help son with homework and maybe check news or see paper for few minutes, then bedtime ritual to get son in bed between 8 and 8:30. Put up laundry, fall in bed and watch a show and go to sleep. HELP I just felt lazy when I saw so many of you doing your 30 min cardio and Tae bo etc. then weight training and a few miles extra walking. Wow. I thought I was doing good when I started parking past the cart return at the store and using the stairs all the time. Thanks and please help me keep moving. I do pretty well with what I eat, but the exercise part of it is weak. Thanks again.
Marie
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 12:38

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Hey Marie

I know what you mean. I don't have kids but I am quite active socially and work long hours. I have a few favourite TV programs a week and I exercise while I'm watching them. And any exercise is better than none IMHO. So weights, yoga or plain old-fashioned calisthenics like we used to do in school count for something. And one of my shows is about to start so off I go!
Have fun.
Kelly
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 14:48

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

As someone said we all have the same 24 hours in a day what you do with them is up to you. Take a block of time in your day and set it aside as your time to exercise. Use your lunch hour at work. use some of your early morning time. do it while you do the laundry. Make a new bed time ritual for you and son of an exercise tape or two. It doesn't matter when but commit the time to you because you are worth it. You can do it. And as Dr Atkins says in DANDR if you aren't exercising you aren't doing his plan.
Happy low carbing.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 15:30

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the input and support. I just needed to have someone else tell me to get off my behind! I am trying to turn some of my son's play time into my exercise time, that's why this week I put riding bike minimum of 1 mile a day with him. I'm at school all day and teachers don't get lunch hours or really breaks for that matter! I try to eat something at the same time that I am watching and helping 20 five year olds eat in about 25 minutes. I count myself lucky to get bathroom breaks and considering how much water I drink, those are important I will try to get more organized at night to do more before going to sleep. Thanks again.
Marie
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 01:53
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Smile Howdy Folks!

I’m so impressed by this great group of Challengers! There is an amazing diversity of people and programs here... I have to admit, I LOVED reading everyone’s Extra Credit answers. So often I felt myself agreeing along with you, inspired by your answers. So many great reasons to do this, huh?

I always get so excited at the start of any Challenge, the infusion of energy I get here can power me through the tough times when I‘d rather quit. I thank all of you for being here, participating and sharing your thoughts and goals with us all!

I’ll have less internet access here for the next few months, so I’ll just be checking in on Fridays. Until then, I wish you all a very healthy week!!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Welcome Back GreenEyezz ... Love the chart of the fridge! Motivation to keep making those good choices!

Welcome Barry ~ I look forward to seeing your progress on BFL. It seems to bring great results to it‘s followers!

Marie ~ First off, welcome! Second, a big {{hug}} to you and all the other folks out there with very full lives. You should give yourself credit for the exercise that your lifestyle already gives you ... it can’t be easy being a Mom, keeping house and running after kindergarteners all day. The biking with your son sounds great! I have a suggestion, though, if you can stand the idea of getting up a few minutes earlier: You could add an exercise tape to your day. I’ve been sold on those Walk Away the Pounds DVD’s ... you can do a 1 mile walk in 20 minutes. Just don’t get down on yourself for not doing as some of our fellow challengers or set yourself up for failure by thinking you can do more than your schedule allows!

Marty ~ It’s great to see you again, and I look forward to hearing more about your fitness journey!

Bjuba ~ Welcome! Those are some serious inches gone! Congratulations ...

Atkins4myW ~ Welcome back! I’ve got to ask you about your dressing, Queen O’ Flax ...

Julie ~ Welcome to you! I liked your ‘Christmas Shopping’ exercise benefit!

Kelly ~ Welcome to the Challenge! Good for you making your goals achievable with your schedule.

Mary ~ Welcome back! Are you making protein bars? If so, I’d love your recipe!

Jude ~ Welcome! There sure are a lot of women who love Curves, have you been going for a while? Also - you’ll have to give us a review of how you liked the WAP workout. I’m a convert, so I hope you enjoy it, too!

Liz ~ I hope you don’t get beamed away this time, either! Welcome back!

Lynn / ncwingnut ~ Welcome! I’m glad you’ve joined the Challenge ...

Crysania ~ Welcome back, my tall friend! I hope you’re getting settled and the essentials have started to re-surface!

Teresa ~ Welcome back, Challenger! I look forward spending more time with your shrinking, stronger and more-energized self!

Nikki ~ I’m glad to hear you’re going to take tender, loving care of your recovering back. Welcome back!

Lynn / JstPeachi ~ You’re so sweet, I swear you could swell a girl’s head. I was thinking about you just this morning ... I switched my strap-on weights from wrists to ankles* and got a more intense, good burn workout. I was really feeling the strain in my shoulder from using them on my wrist, but I loved the added intensity. How can we add some extra weights for our upper body without stressing the joints? I need more than just one head to figuring this one out ... What do you think?

***Edited to add ... Oops! I just learned that using ankle weights while walking is a really bad idea. I read an article that says Walking With Weights can damage your knees. No 'good burn' is worth injury!

Last edited by AntiM : Mon, Dec-01-03 at 06:32. Reason: Walking With Weights infomation
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 07:18

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

OK I'm in.

Since I cant lift weights (pregnant) but did get the ok to use a crosstrainer, here are my week 1 goals:

3 days per week - two 10 minute sessions on my crosstrainer.

I know its not much but I am starting from nothing, and have to start somewhere!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 12:44

Plan: Atkins/LC e-meal
Stats: 282.6/234.6/180 Female 69"
BF:41.72/34.64/26.6
Progress: 47%

Monika

Thanks for the welcome and words of encouragement.
Kelly