Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206.5/173.5/145 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 54%
Question Green Tea Drinkers

Are you drinking decaffienated, or regular? Does it matter? How many carbs in a cup of green tea?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 18:43

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

i drink 3 or 4 cups of green tea a day... seems to speed up weight loss a bit and helps stave off water retention... not sure how much carbs... but it's safe to say around 2carbs each cup?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 18:54

Stats: 182/170/143 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi,

I drink 1-2 cups a day. Pretty sure that pure green tea leaves do not have any carbs...it's only if you add a sweetener. I add Davinci's sugar free syrups, or sometimes a little splenda. And yes, I have noticed that when I'm drinking the green tea, I have more energy and I seem to lose more weight.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 21:08

Plan: MY OWN
Stats: 192.9/187.3/100 Female 59in
BF:30%/30%/20%
Progress: 6%

If you drink green tea black without any AS it has no carbs at all. Check out Low Carb Tips on the top of the page and then under Hidden Carbs it states zero carbs for green tea.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 22:10
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From what I understand to get all the health benifits they are touting now adays you have to drinnk the caffinated and massive amounts. Taking an extract as well can help with that.

I have both regular and decaffinated, though I don't drink it much anymore. I found to much caffine at night would keep me awake, but a nice cup of hot tea is so relaxing at night.

Right now though I'm in love with Good Earth Slimming tea. There is no carbs. caffine, or senna (the thing in most diet teas that cause upset stomach) and the taste is great. I add a little DaVinccis and a few granuals of pure stevia extract for a sweet treat before bed
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 22:21

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

ok, i'm ignorant, i'll freely admit What are davinccis and stevia extract and where would one get them?
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 09:58

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

DaVinci's is a brand of syrup. It comes in sugar free and regular. The sugar free is made with sucralose (splenda) and you can get it at some grocery stores and at low carb specialty stores. You can also buy it online. If you click on the shopping cart above where it says the low carb superstore it will take you to a shopping link.

Stevia is an herb (I grow it at home). You can buy powdered stevia at health food stores. Although I haven't found it locally, you can also buy liquid stevia and, I believe, granular stevia. It's used as a sweetener. I would caution you not to use too much however since it can leave a bitter after taste.

http://www.herbaladvisor.com/genric...&OVMTC=standard

That link will take you to a site where you can purchase stevia in several different forms.

This link http://store.yahoo.com/thevitaminbin/stevia.html will take you to a site that explains a lot more about stevia.

shortstuff
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 10:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Stevia is wonderful, just get pure extract that doesn'thave fillers. Like shortstuff said it can be bitter if you use too much. The trick is to get the exact amount for your tastes. right before the bitter stage there is also an over powering sweet stage.

I use the pure powder extract because so far it's been the easiest to control and best tasting. Only a few granuals are needed for coffee or tea, so a small bottle used on a daily basis has lasted me for months so far and isn't even half gone. 1/3 tsp = 1 cup of sugar
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 16:38

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

If you want to "decaffeinate" your tea somewhat before drinking it, put the bag or loose leaf in a cup/pot with boiling hot water and let it sit for a minute (full minute here) then drain. Refill the cup/pot with boiling hot water and use the same bag or loose leaf to make a second cup of tea that has now "lost" a lot of its caffeine. I use loose leaf in a small cheesecloth bag. That way the tea leaves can then make their way into my compost pile.

shortstuff