Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 10:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Question Are Metabolife and/or L-Glysamine acceptable?

I have been doing the induction diet with no fiber for five days. Interestingly enough, I'm not yet in ketosis but have lost 3 lbs.

However, as per Atkins, I was not limiting myself on the allowable foods, but concentrating on what I ate. I haven't craved carbs, but I found I was actually consuming huge steaks many times a day, and was getting sick of my greasy kitchen and the smells. I have been running home from work, after stopping at the store for a roast chicken, and scarfing it down, and running back to work. It has been as if I'm not craving carbs, but meat...I've always been a meat lover anyway, and now I have permission to eat lots of it.

Anyways, I decided to look for l-glysamine to help, which I understand is good for alcohol, carb, and other cravings. Couldn't find it. I have looked for it and asked for it in several places to no avail.

During my search, I found Metabolife, which I recall my daughter using a few years ago to loose a tremendous amount of weight as it helped with cravings for food and provided energy. I am wondering if this is acceptable on a low carb diet, at least in the beginning.

(Also, speaking of energy, any normal exercise is out of the question for me right now, since my leg is in a cast.)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 15:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Metabolife

Hello Tikerberi. I'm sorry I dont know much about metabolife. Most of the places looked for information are no longer carying it (they did not explain why). A search on this forum relvealed a few threads you might want to look at. http://forum.lowcarber.org/search.p...rder=descending

Many of our members use L-Glutamine for cravings and it seems to work. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=lglutamine

Don't worry about the ketone strips. Many people never show even a trace and still lose weight. There's a great article by Doreen under "Low Carb Tips" about Ketones and Ketone Test Strips you should take a look at to alay any questions.

Eating steak and chicken and craving it isnt unusual. Be sure you're eating enough fat though. The fat is what fills you up and helps you to not feel hungry. You should be getting your fat from things like nuts, seed, olive oil, flax oil, olives and avocados.

You might want to start a journal in the 'journals/bootcamp' section of the forum so we can see what you've been eating. It would help us to give you more advice.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 22:00

Stats: 207/201/165
BF:32%/32%/25%
Progress: 14%
Default Thanks Nat....

I'm glad you understood the "L-" word I was talking about. For some reason, certain words get confused in my brain (glucosamine, glycogens, glysamine, etc. amongst others with similar sounding names that I don't understand) and I just can't remember them. It may have something to do with the fact that I'm bilingual, an English teacher, and have the disease of CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t).

I appreciate your encouragement. Thanks.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-01, 22:49

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Thanks Nat....

Quote:
Originally posted by Tikerberi
and have the disease of CRS (Can't Remember Sh*t).

CRS; heh, heh, I'll have to remember that one
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-01, 11:33

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

One thing I noticed in my case was that during the first 4 or 5 days of induction I ate a lot more than I do now. I stuck to the lo-carb guidelines for Atkins but I was still eating a lot of food and calories. However, as time went by I found myself to be less and less hungry and now it's a struggle to get down enough calories to keep myself out of "starvation mode". Maybe it was residual carbohydrates working their way out of my system and the insulin not yet totally stabilized that caused this, I really don't know.

Did other people find this to be true, or is it just me?

Raven