Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 13:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Protein limits on Atkins?

I read a comment in the Protein Power forum saying that "Atkins" asserts that "too much" protein caused glucose production and fat storage. The writer thought this was stupid.

My question is: does Atkins in fact limit protein? My understanding was that while fat is the only nutrient that doesn't cause an insulin response, protein causes a relatively mild insulin response, and so the diet is properly called high fat rather than high protein. But does Atkins anywhere advocate eating less protein than most people would eat on Protein Power?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 13:33

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I began Atkins, I used the web-site which stated there is no need to count anything but carbs. As a matter of fact, in the Atkins for Life book it states to make sure that you eat extra protein when consuming high glycemic foods such as water melon to slow the absorption of glucose into the blood stream. My understanding is that protein helps to keep the insulin in balance. I do not know where the writer of that post got his info.

Black57
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 13:51

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I guess that the original poster would have to define how much protein constitutes "too much". I have never read in any of the Atkins books that protein is limited other than to eat until you are satisfied, but not stuffed and I've never seen a recommendation in any of the Atkins books for amounts of protein to be consumed.
In theory, eating a lot of protein could eventually be converted to glucose by the body, but this is such a slow process that I'd really hesistate to say that you would get an insulin response even eating a large amount of protein.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 15:49

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I did read, I think it was in DANDR or on the Atkins site, that too much protein can be turned to glucose, and that a recommended level of protein at one time would be up to a 6-oz. serving. Maybe some people could eat more than that in a given meal, but that's a huge amount of meat in my opinion.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 17:00
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

He doesn't giv ea specific limit, but in DANDR he does talk about how fat is the only completely neutral substance, and protien has minimal impact on blood gluclose.

The 70% of calories from fat comes from someone emailing the Atkins center the question of how much fat should be eaten on induction.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 17:21
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't believe the quantities of protein that anyone would willingly eat can cause blood sugar problems.

All I know is, when my blood sugar is messed up (post thanksgiving regrets ) I go and make sure I eat some nice carb free meat or cheese. It really helps.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 18:12

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??

Quote:
I don't believe the quantities of protein that anyone would willingly eat can cause blood sugar problems.

I agree with you. I often eat meat with carbier foods to help offset. I also eat fats the same way.

Even though I know I read what was said about 6 ozs. (and if I had more of a brain in my head today I'd remember just where ), when you think about it, just how much glucose could be made off an extra ounce of meat or two, vs. the carbs in an extra ounce or two of a carby-type food?
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 01:49

Stats: 272/226/150 Female 5'6"
BF:Way too much!!
Progress: 38%

Lila, If you feel like you're going crazy cuz you read that somewhere, then save me a bed next to you honey. I remember reading that also. Please, folks do not bash me, BUT I think I read it somewhere on this sight. Don't want to cause a stir, but I don't use any other LC sight other than Atkins & this one. I wish I could remember where, but I don't recall. I have been on Atkins since 10/15/03. The reason I remember this, was that my family was on me about having to cut down on servining sizes. Wish I could remember what part of the site it was posted. Sorry!
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 09:46
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

There was one person on here asking for people to look ov er her fitday and give advice. On a daily basis she was eating well over 300g of protien. I have trouble getting to just 100, but for some people they can eat massive amounts.

Alot too is what the protien sources are. Some meats, and sea food have large amounts of protien, while others have a better combination of protien and fat.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 11:09

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

The high protein level is a realitive term. On a RDA diet the atkins protein level would be too high. On the Protein power plan the Atkins level would be too low. The ketogenic diet which is what Dr Atkins plan is uses fats as the primary fuel source and the amount of protein is limited to 30% of your daily cals which will be a different number of grams of protein for each person as we each have a different Basal metabolic rate and active metabolic rate. The Atkins ratio is 65% fats 30% protein and 5% carbs for weight loss. the fats go down some and the carbs come up some when you transition to premaintenance and maintenance. You will not find the ratios in the books just the words of warning about getting your protein intake too high or not trying to do a low fat Atkins.
Since insulin is also a fat storing hormone Atkins dieters don't want protein converted to glucose in the liver and stimulating insulin production since that would mean some of the dietary fats would be being stored during this glucose burning period. Protein power folks have a low dietary fat intake and aren't worried about ketosis or storing dietary fats. You can't compare the two plans levels of anything. Pick the program that works for you and then work it as the book tells you to. For Atkins folks that is high fat moderate protein and low carbs eaten daily from the accaptable food lists in the amount needed to satisfy your hunger at the time you are eating not just because it is allowable and you have room in your belly, drinking all the water, doing the daily required exercise and taking the supplements your body needs to make up for the ones lacking in your food choices. if you do all that then you too will be a big Atkins low carb loser.
Happy low carbing to you.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 13:07

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks for the percentages. Looking at fitday I find that my fat is higher than 65%(closer to 70%) and my protein and carbs slightly less. Is this going to hurt?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 17:06
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

the 70% isn't an exact number. Just experiment and find what percentage works best for you personally. 65 is so close to 70 is may not make much a difference, then again it might mike alot of difference.

An easy way to get fat percentages up is to suppliment with flax or coconut oil. Just close your eyes and grab a tablespoon
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 17:59

Judyr if it is working for you then that is the ratio you need. some folks need less fat, some more. It is almost impossible to hit it exactly. I know a former 300+ pounder who does best on 75% fat while i do better on 60-63% fats. You are supposed to keep your protein number higher then the carb number too as you play with them also.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 11:04
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes

This is a nice site to find out how much protein your body needs:

http://www.eatprotein.com/answers1.htm#1c

Good luck !
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 14:37

that site is for the protein power diet, not the Atkins diet. It is calculating your protein intake based on their diet plan. Stick with the Atkins Center recommendations of 5 oz servings and up to 7 seven servings a day if you need that much. Use your ratios and remember you don't want to be burning protein for fuel only using it for cellular repair. Don't use a body building site either since they are lean muscle machines and have very different needs from someone trying to loss weight. You can call the Atkinscenter 800 number and talk for free to someone who can either answer your question about your protein amounts or find someone who can. Far too many new Atkins dieters mess up their ketosis by eating too much protein because they don't understand how the program works or misinterpret the unlimited amounts statements.