Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 05:33

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 450/348/225 Male 72 inches
BF:UGH!
Progress: 45%
Default PROTEIN POWER PALS....Friday, November 28

Good Morning Everyone!!
It's the day-after-Thanksgiving around here. Or, as I call it: Recovery Day, that day you wake up quoting the old ad "I can't belive I ate the whoooole thing"

For those of us who got of program for the day.... GET BACK ON!!!!

for those of you who managed to stay on program....... (not that I would EVER be jealous!!)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 06:34

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hey there, looks like we have 2 threads going but wanted to reply to both. It's up to the rest of our Motley Crue to decided which they are posting on.

Glad to have you here this AM, Reverend Yeti!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 07:28

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Great minds think alike - Rob and I posted at the same time. I asked the moderators to change thread name and transfer the other thread to the lighter side (joke section onthis board).

Happy day after Thanksgving. My new photo is below - note I'm using my tape measure again - kept rolling off the scale.

Last edited by Orang : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 08:59.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 07:29

BF:

OK, first "Wendy Plan " meal.(I like Wendy Plan better than LFL ) Didn't have turkey bacon so used some turkey from yesterday and some of my cranberry sauce which is just water, cranberries and splenda.I used full fat cottage cheese. From Fitday:

Reg Cheese, cottage, creamed, large or small curd ½ cup
Almonds, unroasted 12
Cranberries, raw .25 cup, choppedcup,
Splenda 1T
Apple, raw 1/2 cup,
Turkey, light meat, cooked, skin not 2 oz

Totals 330 14 20 33
Total: 330
Fat: 14 127 39%
Carbs: 20 63 19%
Fiber: 5 0 0%
Protein: 33 132 41%

I am eating this at 8 AM which is 3 hrs later than I usually eat bfast since I am off from work today. I will let you know how I do on this later today.

Last edited by ewinpa : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 07:30.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 07:32

BF:

FYI -I had posted on Orang's thread ;based on the color of her new photo I had asked if they had managed to feed her cranberry sauce.......
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 08:51
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey all! Hope you're recovering from Turkey Day. Canadian thanksgiving was a month ago, and I don't do the feast thing, anyway... kinda hard with just me and a vegetarian boyfriend. I did, however, roast up a turkey thigh and used the broth to make cream of broccoli soup.

I'm going to have nightmares about that ugly fish now!

Happy Friday!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 09:32

BF:

Rob -
Stop me!!! I'd have cheated if I could've figure out how to get stuffing and mashed 'tators down an NG tube .

Glad to see you starting our thread - still waiting to hear how you escaped from the the Wally-World lady -- she looked pretty tough (for a SIM )

Kristine:
Sorry about the ugly fish - it is a puffer - inflates itself and turns red to scare off preditors. Is your veggie BF also using PP? Imagine this would be a difficult WOE for vegetarians.

Elaine:
Good one re: cranberry sauce.

WTG re: staying LC on the holiday.

Black57:
re; finding your before pic. Good to see you here - how did you do on Turkey Day?

Ellie:
Not sure turkey day was the wisest day to get a drumstick...

Glad your neighbor is doing well. Has DD recovered from the illness she had?

Thanks for sharing the yummy recipes lately - can't wait until I'm up to trying them out.

Wish you hadn't mentioned the Christmas tree - actually hubby wishes you hadn't (he's out inthe storage building locating it now... will let granddaughter and her kids decorate it this afternoon)

Robin:
WTG re: holiday eating - you did great.

Bawdy:
Great minds do think alike (coming from someone who forgot to bake the stuffing last year )

Marnie:
Sorry you forgot the chicken.

Glad to hear your son is reading the book.

Weird re: car - have to wonder if there was a compelling reason you shouldn't have gone when the car didn't start.

Karen
Wonderful to see you posting on the thread. Thanks for the soy link - I will read it when all the company is gone.

Shelly (Lisette)
Glad you are back. Hope your ISP will stay up

Glad the mashed cauliflower turned out good. I'll have to try Bawdy's food processor trick. Only hubby goes near the mashed cauliflower -- I put cheese sauce on it (home made LC - cream with melted cheese cooked to sauce consistency)

Wendy
Let us know when you get home - we miss you.

Rebecca:
Come tell us about your Turkey Day. We miss you.

Last edited by Orang : Fri, Nov-28-03 at 09:49.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 10:03

BF:

As the Wendy Plan Turns....in this episode, our heroine has 1/2 cup LF yogurt with 1/8 cup sunflower seeds as a snack. Still hungry but lunch is not too far away. (Burger, no roll, salad maybe?) I guess I am doing a weight loss day and not a protein day? This is a little confusing. Do I need to buy the book?

Orang, I wasn't kidding about the Turkey soda...
Turkey Soda Flies Off Shelves

POSTED: 10:23 a.m. EST November 26, 2003
UPDATED: 10:57 a.m. EST November 26, 2003

Turkey and gravy isn't just the Thanksgiving Day menu. It's also the flavor of a new soda.

The folks at Seattle-based Jones Soda say they're stunned by the demand for the rather bizarre flavor. All 6,000 bottles were sold out in about two hours last week.

Now, Turkey and Gravy pop is fetching a premium. As of yesterday, online bidding on a two-bottle set was up to $63.

The soda has a retail price of just 99 cents a bottle.

And how does Turkey and Gravy taste? Mary Turner, a radio disc jockey in Lansing, Mich., says it's sort of like putting turkey and mashed potatoes in a blender, and leaving it out for three days.

Can't wait to see what you do with THIS in Photoshop, haha, maybe they'll use it as a label next year!

Hi Kristine!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 10:24

BF:

While I'm dying (as in ) to try the turkey soda, I still can't have anything by mouth. I have the tube because they had to cut a hole in my esophagus to remove the scar tissue --- and if I eat or drink anything right now - it would likely get infected. Hate to think what's in that soda... now I'll have to go off and think of a suitable photoshop offering for fermented turkey and 'tators....
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 11:31

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

happy the day after everyone!

After yesterday's indulgences I am more convinced that the lc woe is for me, I woke up this morning with a stomach in knots, my face and hands were (and still are) swelled up!(I look like I ate the WHOLE TURKEY!) I shudder to think how much worse it could of been if I would have had the stuffing and potatoes ect.... Today I am doing a protein, lower calorie day, which should be pretty easy considering all the excess of turkey on hand and my lack of appetite!

Orang, Will you be able to start the soft foods this next week?? and btw, i FEEL like that fish today!HA
Hope you have fun putting up the tree! My DS always puts hers up the day after also!

Elaine, good luck with the "Wendy plan"!HA I have still to try the cottage cheese with the splenda, I just bought some, and have some sf and 8 carb yogurt to eat! I just need to do protein today to get the sugar and the flour out of my system, I am sure that my body is in shock!HA I have been cheat free since Feb- or March. Oh and BTW, Thanks for misses! Big back at ya! Stay tuned, will our heroine Elaine drink the turkey pop, or remain on the real stuff??

BW, forgetting the stuffing was prob a lc angel on your shoulder saying"Don't eat the high carb stuffing!"HA

Well We are heading up to visit the family today, going to take in some Christmas shopping!

A Big HELLO to Rob,Ellie,Kristine,Wendy,Robin,Marnie,Black,Rebecca,and everyone else!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 12:01

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Everyone must have the day off work today. Nine posts by 1:00 EST!

I didn't go overboard yesterday. I ate the whole shebang, but not to excess. I still felt fine afterward. Then, around 1:00 am, I woke up feeling like my stomach had inflated to about 3 times its size! I felt so lousy, I got up and took a Pepcid, and I never do that.

Today has been a lighter day. For breakfast I had half an apple and a tablespoon of SF peanut butter. While out shopping, I bought two pieces of SF chocolate (a large peanut butter cup and a plain chocolate blob with nuts). I meant to eat one, but ended up eating both. Not very tasty, so I doubt I'll trouble myself to buy it again. No lunch yet. I'll probably grab a piece of turkey in a bit. No clue what supper will be. Guess I should start thinking about it. We'll be having the full turkey dinner again tomorrow night (WITH stuffing this time) before DH leaves for his business trip Sunday morning. I'll again have some of everything, but this time it will be more turkey and less of everything else.

I'm pretty sleepy this afternoon after shopping all morning. Everything's done, though, except for one 2-year-old. If anyone's interested, LL Bean has kid's snowshoes on sale for $29. I bought some and they look very rugged and easy to put on and take off. Their site is www.llbean.com.

I'll check back later. It's been rainy and nasty here, which I'm happy about because then at least the hunters will be miserable. I never mentioned it, but I'm opposed to hunting. I just don't think you should get pleasure out of killing something. I'm not looking for arguments, and won't enter into one. I know some of you hunt, or have loved ones who hunt. Also, I don't know why I have to go to the trouble and expense to post my land. It should be the other way around -- you can't hunt unless land is specifically posted to allow hunting. And it annoys the heck out of me that I have to take special precautions to be outside in my own backyard this time of year.

A few years ago, a woman in New Hampshire was in her back yard, just a few yards from her back door hanging laundry. She was wearing (gasp) white mittens and a hunter mistook her for a deer and shot and killed her. He got off with a slap on the wrist. It was mentioned over and over that she shouldn't have been wearing white mittens. Like it's her fault the stupid guy couldn't tell her from a four-legged animal.

Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now. I'm just glad hunting season is over tomorrow.

Catch you later!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 13:31

Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%
Progress: 93%

Hi everyone! I'm back from MI. It went well, other than Gramma doesn't know who I am anymore. My dad kept showing her an old photo that has my sister and me (ages 4 and 2) with her and and my grandfather (now deceased). He kept asking her who the people were, and she kept pointing at the four-year-old me and saying that was her. My dad would then tell her that she was the grandmother and she would just laugh in disbelief.

I ate completely on plan yesterday. I'm so boring I had no desire for any indulgences. Just loaded up on turkey, salad and green beans. I spent most of the 8 hours in the car yesterday sleeping, so pretty much lost the whole day. Actually the day before was worse. Wednesday I was soooo tired from being up till 3 am with DMF (designated male friend) that I decided to lay down for a nap at around 4 pm. The next thing I knew it was 11 pm!!!! That was a 7 hour nap, which is more than I usually sleep straight during the night-time. Needless to say, I'm a bit messed up in my sleep patterns right now. This morning after all my extra sleep, I woke up bright and early at 5:45 and beat the mad rush by going grocery shopping extra early.

Today, day after Thanksgiving, my weight is still 149.5. Today I am doing a protein day. So my goal of maintaining this weight at 1450 calories worked. Tomorrow I am going to cut back calories again, but only to 1200 since I was still losing at that amount a couple weeks ago. I just don't have any desire to go down to 1000 again, and hopefully I won't need to. That was really hard, not b/c I was hungry, but b/c it was exhausting physically. I think I needed to go that low, though, at least for a little while, to get my body used to losing weight.

Elaine-You should not need the LFL book to do the Wendy Plan. I used it as a starting point, but I don't follow it really anymore. My plan currently is this:

-Start out by doing 1-3 protein days which consist of ~9 100-calorie servings of lean protein; this comes to 900-1000 calories, ~30g fat, ~30g carbs (primarily from cottage cheese and yogurt); no veggies on these days!
-Then you do 6 days of weightloss menus, which for me initially was 1000 calories, 50-60g carbs, 120g protein divided into 3 meals and 3 protein snacks per day
-Alternate the one protein day with 6 weighloss days for no more than 4 weeks

-Then you give your body a rest and do metabolic adjustment, which involves upping calories (mostly by adding fats) and carbs to raise metabolism and maintaining current weight
-I spent 3 weeks upping my calories by 150 per week:
week 1--1150 calories, 120g protein, 55g carbs
week 2--1300 calories, 120g protein, 60g carbs
week 3--1450 calories, 120g protein, 65g carbs
-I continued to do one protein day per week as described above
-Carbs are spread throughout day, but I do consume a slightly higher amount in the AM
-If at any point during metabolic adjustment you go 1.5 lbs above your lowest weight, eat only protein for dinners until it is lost

-You must weigh every morning

-That's the plan I used last round. This round I am only doing 1 protein day, not 3 to start, and only dropping to 1200 calories for weightloss, not 1000. At first it is really hard being that low, but the initial 3 days of protein really do curb your appetite. You just have to be faithful to them and give them the chance to work. I hope this is helpful, and feel free to ask more questions in the future. I just want to remind you that this isn't LFL. LFL focuses much more on adding carbs and not on adding fat. I have been able to get up pretty high on both, though, and am very happy with the current percentages. Yesterday I ate over 70g carbs with my 1450 calories, and I'm thinking once I get to maintennance I may be able to get as high as 100g. But if I don't, I won't be sad, b/c 70g is pretty darn liveable.

Hello to everyone else!
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 14:33
Contributing Member

Stats: 225/210/125 Female 61
BF:40
Progress: 15%

I fell off the wagon......but jumping back on........I hope everyone is having a great day and feeling good, if not I hope you get better.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 14:40

Stats: 230/200/175 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Hey guys,

Had a good Thanksgiving. DH got home Tuesday. I cooked a turkey breast, with stuffing (I love stuffing too much to give it up on this one day out of the year), and made carrots and a cranberry jello salad (using the sugar-free, aspartame-free jello method). Not exactly 'on plan' but we didn't overeat. Pumpkin pie (made with splenda) with whipped cream for dessert.

Today would, of course, have to be my weigh and measure day at Curves, wouldn't it? Weight was at about 200.5 (not bad for the day after Thanksgiving), but they had lost my measurements sheet from last month, so I don't know if I've lost any inches anywhere.

Now I have to go to work tonight...at a mall. Keep your fingers crossed that I don't get trampled by mad shoppers.

Rebecca
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 15:04

BF:

Wendy, thanks for the info. So I guess I wasn't doing a protein day today since I had fruit at breakfast and salad for lunch...at least I am eating well today, then, no junk.OK, I'll try it again tomorrow.I'm printing your post off and tacking it to the fridge door so I'll know exactly what I should be doing when.

Hi Lisette! And Hi Rebecca and Dreamer Sounds like we're all climbing back on the wagon together, it will be an interesting ride!

Rebecca,think they'll ever make a Farscape sequel? I really miss that show!