Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:27
Contributing Member

Plan: ???
Stats: ???/???/??? Female ???
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Extreme Makeover

Tonight on ABC, I didn't catch the time, a man who lost 200 lbs in a year has surgery to remove the excess skin.

That's something I didn't consider. Does everyone have that problem after losing a lot or is because he lost it so fast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:13
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I think it works both ways due to genetics and/or age. I have a friend who lost 112 pounds in 4 months at the ripe old age of 34 who had NO flab remaining (though he did have a gaunt face and a slight roll around the gut!). He was called the incredible shrinking man. For good reason! He went from 312 to 200 in 4 months.

I have another friend who lost 75 pounds who needed the stomach lift or whatever it is called. Looked great afterwards and I know some insurances pay for that surgery POST weight loss due to whatever health reasons.

I would expect that my 200 pound weight loss (when I get finished!) at my age may leave me "loose". As long as it is livable it is fine witth me. BUT I will not allow myself to be uncomfortable with what could be a great deal of excess "whatever" hanging. In that case I will be first in line for a Skin Tuck or whatever. Not vanity. Sanity.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:19
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 159/132/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 113%

Mistere,
I Just Love Your 21 Day Of Christmas Goal The Enjoying Being Alive Is The Best One.

Dawna
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:21
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

I have read that the slower you lose the weight the easier it is for your skin to keep up. Like MrE said, age and weight may determine how the skin goes during weight loss.

I believe exercise during weight loss has a positive effect on the skin.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:24

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 190/190/90 Female 153
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default extreme makeover

i was surprised at the extreme makeover. but i was astonished to how nice the woman looked like afterwards. it was a con that the woman didnt pay for the treatment butwas an advert for the usa surgeon
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 19:25

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the heads up on Extreme Makeover, coco...

...I'm definately watching it at 9:00 central time...

Donald
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 22:21

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I watched that tonight. If I were to lose to the "by Hoyle" proportion for a guy my size, I'd be about 179 at most - a loss of 159 pounds. I think it is more realistic for me to weigh about 200 pounds given my shoulder width and frame. Either way, a big loss.

I was really shocked at that guy's skin. It looked so awful hanging there. I cannot afford surgery to repair myself if I get drooping skin like that, so I'm hoping a 128-138 pound loss won't do that to me. Even if so, it'd still be worth it. I'd much rather deal with skin than fat.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 22:30
Contributing Member

BF:

To be continued?
Rip-off.

I agree. If I'm meant to go through life looking like a sharpei puppy, then so be it.

Last edited by coco2 : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 22:34.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 20:19

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I was disappointed that it's to be continued, but it will be worth watching.

I saw a show on the same subject about 1 month or so ago. It focused on a woman that had gastric bypass and lost, like, 150 pounds in a year. She had a whole body lift, including thighs, butt and arms. Oh, and had her boobs redone, as they literally hung to her waist but looked completely deflated.

She ended up looking great. Just as the doctor said last night, she traded in 35 pounds of loose skin for some serious scars. But it was worth it.

I've lost 140ish pounds and I don't have saggy skin. I have a lot more to lose and I'm sure if I did it quickly I would sag too.

Interesting what they said about his diet...how he wasn't eating proteins and that it was not good for him. It was also interesting the way he talked about how he knew he was just a breath away from binge eating and being out of control...

BTW, anyone have any thoughts about his wife, her size, and their relationship? An interesting dynamic.

Donald

Last edited by DWRolfe : Thu, Nov-27-03 at 20:21.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 23:24

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Donald,

As we were watching that, I wondered about the same two questions. First, how does he think he'll stay on it if he's always on the verge of a binge? My thought is that he can't sustain it. The iron discipline that would require is something that he probably doesn't have in the first place, if he was massively obese. I'm not under any illusions that I'd succeed if I was hungry much of the time. Willpower may be a myth.

The second thing is of course, that his wife looks like she needed to lose weight as much as he did. My guess is that she tried his rabbit food diet, and couldn't hang with it. Since very few can, that isn't any surprise either.

My wife and I are both losing on Atkins, which makes this thing a team effort and makes it easier to do. If the wife is eating junk, and the extreme makeover guy is eating rabbit food, he's going to either have some pressure to regain his bulk or there will be issues. Wouldn't he be a huge hypocrite for leaving his wife because she was fat? I would guess that like any converted junkie, he can't be around the junk anymore, and he's fanatically opposed to the junk.

I have to think it will be difficult for them. But I'm in the corner of any fat person, having lived a lifetime of it. I'm hoping that I don't waste the second half of my life as thoroughly as I did the first.

(Rambling, apologies)

--Scott
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 04:44

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Hmmm.. Interesting, I really wish I had seen that show.

My SO, BF, whatever you want to call him LOL, is a big guy. He weighs about 360 or so. I have found CAD and have been plugging along, losing on it faithfully. He hasn't jumped on the low carb bandwagon as yet. Now that I have lost a significant amount of weight, I am amazed at how many people have insinuated, or outright said, that I won't be interested in him anymore once I get to my goal. That just isn't so. He is still the same guy, and I am the same too, no matter how my outside may change. I couldn't imagine being that shallow. People have also asked him if he is getting worried now, that other guys will hit on me. Geesh. Just goes to show how obese people can be seen as undesirable and lucky to have found anyone at all.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 15:36
Registered Member

Stats: 242.0/238/105 Female 61inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

I watched the program and was disappointed that it was to be continued.
My DH and I were both thinking about his wife and her weight issue too.
When they do this surgery to remove all this extra skin---IF he did start to gain some of his weight back would his skin stretch again without causing him problems?? Just wondering!! I know our bodies are magnificant machines- even we abuse them.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 16:15

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hey good subject

I watched the show and marvelled. He looked like a deflated balloon. Not a very nice thing to say, I know. His face also looked gaunt and old.

Due to the amazing amount of surgery required, the most I have ever seen on that show, they had to do it in stages. So far they have done a brow lift and a nose job. The change is already amazing. He looks much younger.

One of the thing that occured to me watching him is --- if there was one couple who needed Atkins it is them. They were so concerned about his bad diet, the lack of protein in it, they had him extensively tested. They were afraid the surgery would kill him.

He declared that he was always on the verge of a binge. So he is probably a carb addict. His wife tried his "regime" but gave up because she likes her sugar too much. Another carb addict. Low carb would be SOOOO good for them. Too bad we can't contact them.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 18:17
Contributing Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKay
IF he did start to gain some of his weight back would his skin stretch again without causing him problems?? Just wondering!! I know our bodies are magnificant machines- even we abuse them.

This is the part that interested me the most. I could be wrong but I was under the impression that prior to extensive plastic surgery, there is psychological counselling. Assuming there is, is it a good idea to perform the procedure on someone who's always on the verge of another binge?

Somewhat related to this, a few years ago there was a Twilight Zone marathon. One episode took place in the future and was about a frail and elderly couple who were shopping for younger, healthier bodies. They could only afford one and decided it would be for the husband because he was the sicker of the two. When the procedure was over, he was young and healthy and she was still herself. I think he has the procedure reversed. Anyway, when I was watching Extreme Makeover, I was thinking about that episode and how it related to them.

Leigh
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 10:32

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

A man in my area had the surgery and his doctor adressed this issue. It was written up in the paper several years ago. He donated 4 yards of skin that was removed to the skin graft bank and his dotor assured him in the even he did get fat again his body would grow more skin. I have yet to see any science article that says we are just stretched out balloons of skin and it will shrink back to skinny skin size when we lose the weight. Our bodies responded to the years of extra pounds by growing us a larger coat of skin to cover it.
I find it rather ironic that folks are more concerned with the wrinkled loose skin looks then the dangers of having the fat it would take to keep the skin plumped up and full. I would rather have the empty skin hanging on my healthy lightweight skin then the extra pounds needed and the unhealthy fat to fill it up.

Hapy low carbing to y'all and may all the TDCers reach the point where you have the empty fat gone forever low carb WOL loose skin.