Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 12:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/214/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default Am I losing weight too fast?

I'm on my 7th week of Atkins and I've stuck with induction for the full 7 weeks. My weight loss is averaging a little over 5 pounds/week. Is this too much weight loss too fast? Is it healthy?

I have had several people tell me horror stories about people on Atkins who lose weight very quickly and have serious medical problems. (in fact everyone I've talked to who "used to do Atkins" stopped because of medical problems. But that's a different topic. )

Should I move to OWL to slow down my weight loss?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 14:01

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I think you should move to OWL. Not to slow your weight loss (although it will of course) but to experiment with new foods and enjoy your eating a bit more. This is a way of eating for life - there is no rush and you might as well start finding out what you like and can and can't eat without gaining weight back.
Congrats on the weight loss.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 16:34
Registered Member

Stats: 282/257/140 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 18%

congrats on doing so successful!! I think you need to do what feel's right for you and your body. It would be great to experiement with owl but make sure it's right for you!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 17:05

Plan: MY OWN
Stats: 192.9/187.3/100 Female 59in
BF:30%/30%/20%
Progress: 6%

Hey Moose, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!! That is incredible. Can I ask what you typically eat in a day? Wow! I am impressed. I wish my metabolism was as fast as yours.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 20:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xena2005
Hey Moose, CONGRATULATIONS on your weight loss!!! That is incredible. Can I ask what you typically eat in a day? Wow! I am impressed. I wish my metabolism was as fast as yours.

I have varied a little from strict induction foods over the past couple of weeks, mainly because my wife went off induction and she's been cooking some yummy stuff. But I'm still staying below 20g of carbs.

Breakfast
3 Egg bacon and cheese omelette
4 slices of bacon (2 in omelette)

Lunch
Caesar salad

Dinner (this varies alot)
Steak
Broccolli (or Broccolli Au Gratin)

or
Pork Chops
Asperagus

or
Pasta-less lasagna
and some green veggie or salad
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 21:17

Stats: 250/248/160 Female 5'4
BF:BigBallaFat
Progress: 2%

I'm in my 5th month of staying under 20g a day and I lost my weight as rapidly as you are losing now. It did slow down and the rate of loss will slow down for you too. YOur body will sooner or later adapt, so as long as you feel good, do whatever is working for you.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 21:25

Plan: MY OWN
Stats: 192.9/187.3/100 Female 59in
BF:30%/30%/20%
Progress: 6%

Thank you Moose for posting what you typically eat. You don't have any snacks? I notice that you are a guy (lol) and 'usually' guys eat alot, you don't seem to eat as much as I thought a guy would eat. Are you ever hungry or are you totally satisfied? My problem might be I eat too many snacks! LOL All legal mind you, but maybe too many. I still average about 25g carbs daily. But well done on your loss.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 22:29

BF:

I might have a snack once a week. It's normally a slice of cheese. I have also had nuts and occasionally beef jerky while travelling even though they aren't induction foods.

I've never been really hungry on this diet. I'm averaging a little over 2000 calories a day which helps. The caesar salad for lunch is normally a little larger than it should be, but I'm still under the 20 carbs. I think the key for me is eating breakfast. I haven't eaten a breakfast in years so now that I do, I feel full well into lunch time.

On I also drink a lot of water. Easily a liter in the first couple of hours in the morning, another before lunch. I'm averaging about 5 liters or more a day which helps me feel full.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 07:11

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:

If you want to increase your carbs, do it. I'd just make sure they came from allowable veggies. I doubt you'll slow your weight loss that way, and you'll probably make it easier to get all your needed nutrients.

I think you're fine losing that quickly, unless there are other symptoms developing from it. I've lost the same amount, but in a bit over 4 months, so I say congrats and keep up the good work.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 16:51

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

The only thing I'd be worried about with losing that quickly is that your skin might take a while to catch up and shrink. I've also heard that men tend to lose more quickly. Also, larger people lose more quickly to begin with, then slow down at some point.

But it sounds like you're following the plan very well!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 17:37
Registered Member

Plan: no rice
Stats: 132/132/112 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 0%

wow... i cant believe you can lose weight that fast.. i wish i could do too...
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 02:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delilah
The only thing I'd be worried about with losing that quickly is that your skin might take a while to catch up and shrink.

There was a little of that but it's not been too bad. The biggest problem by far has been back pain. My back muscles haven't been able to adjust fast enough to keep up with my new posture. It's getting better but I've had a rough past 4-5 weeks.