Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/178.4/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default I don't feel hungry - and this is a problem!

I just don't feel hungry anymore. I think it is becoming a problem, because I am sure that I am not eating enough calories, and the scales aren't shifting (but I think the inches may be).

Anyway, sometimes the thought of food makes me feel a bit nauseous.

So, help me! What do I do? What can I eat that will make me want to eat? It's not like I feel deprived or anything. I just don't want to eat because I really don't feel hungry. Right now, I eat according to the clock, not any signal from my stomach! Anyone else have this problem? How did you solve it?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:56
Registered Member

Stats: 156/140/110 Female 5.6 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi Strudel. I am not a doctor, I've read some Atkin's books. I feel very good, lot's of energy and I am not hungry AT ALL.

I feel there is nothing wrong with that; actually this is the first time that I feel I am in control and the food is not controlling me.

I do take my vitamins, fiber, protein and calories required to stay healthy. I have a metabolism disorder, so I am making a calorie controlled Atkins Diet. Guess what, the scale hasn't moved much...but my cloth is looser...I mean, I've lost 3 inches from my waist and 4 from my hips.

Atkins wrote in his yellow book (New Diet Revolution), if you are not hungry have a snack with your vitamins. I have learned that this diet is not about eating and eating because "I won't gain a pound". It is about getting healthier everyday. I don't think that will happen to you if you eat nothing at all, or very little.

I got myself an account on fitday.com and it's been estremely useful. I was on the other side. Eating too much. Since I started using fitday, I eat what my body needs to live. It has been and enlightment!

Please, eat and take care of your health. Eat at least your minimum required calories and proteins.

Take care of yourself and good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:52
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I had that problem initially. I made a schedule to eat at 6,9,12,3,6 and sometimes 8:30

Now like clockwork I am always hungry at those times
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:56

Stats: 280/235/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hiya Strudel

I second what Eveee says. You have to eat, regardless of hunger - your body needs it to survive, and what use is finally becoming thin if you are too sick to enjoy it?

I have found that induction level has seriously curbed my appetite. Most days it's a matter of making myself eat something not wishing I could eat more. (wow I love this WOE) Watching the clock is the smartest move you can make right now. If what you consume is minimal - make it smart choices, so that you receive good fuel for your body. Make sure you don't falter w/your vitamins and supplements and just keep keepin on. It's quite possible your body will level itself out soon and your appetite may resume to a more normal level. Personally... as with Eveee, this lack of desire to eat has helped banish the overeating frenzie I've dealt with all my life. It has made me stronger in social situations where there is little that is "legal" and has helped reduced my inner desire to "graze" all day.

A sample menu of something I did when the appetite was all but nil:
B- 1 hardboiled egg, 2 slices bacon.
L- 3-6oz tuna, 2-4 T mayo, 1-2 c lettuce.
D- 4oz meat, 1 c higher carb veg.

Keep in mind that exercise also helps increase appetite. And don't allow yourself to eat too late at nite in order to wake up a lil hungrier and get that breakfast in!

Good luck to you and remember you must eat to lose on this WOE, but you don't have to devour the whole kitchen to be successful.

Last edited by lissame : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 11:58.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 13:00
Registered Member

Stats: 182/178/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%

I have been having this same problem! And I am fairly new at this, so I don't have any really good advice. I have been told to eat some vegetables when not really hungry, but seriously lacking in the calories. I've also been told to schedule eating times, that way I am sure to get enough calories (never thought that would be a problem!

Good luck to you!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 15:02

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

If you are in ketosis, the ketones that are being produced in your body can cause nausea. This could be why you don't feel hungry. A friend of mine just went through this and was forcing herself to eat several small meals during the day to keep her metabolism up. This also happened to me during the first couple of months (while in induction), but I feel much better now. Keep up the good work and keep on eating regular meals. If you eat too few calories, your weight will stall out and your metabolism will drop. Good luck!

~Kelly Deneen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 15:32

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

HI Strudel182!
First off congrats on your loss so far!
Losing your appetite is typical during induction and the early stages of Atkins. This seemed like a blessing for me at first as I couldn't remember as time when I didn't crave foods all evening! Naturally though you have to eat.
Your appetite will return as you begin to increase your carbs but now you will be more able to control it.
Use Fitday
It is an excellent tool to help you get a handle on what you are actually eating.

Remember that too few calories can send you into starvation mode and you body will resist using calories since it feel like it won't be getting enough.

Although calories are a distant concern in relation to carbs I have found that not eating either too few or two many is important.

Again Congrats on your success!