Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 13%
Thumbs down A little discouraged!

Well, I wasn't going to weigh myself until Thanksgiving morning, but I couldn't stand it any longer. I have been doing so well on induction this last week. It was one week yesterday, so I figured I would go ahead and weigh myself this morning.

Well... I was only down 2 lbs. I thought for sure it would be more than that!!! I have felt so much better! I know I shouldn't get caught up on what the scale says, but I just can't help it! I am down 6lbs. over the last two weeks, but the majority of that came from the first week when I was just eating lc, but not limiting myself like on induction.

I'm not going to let this stop me, and I know I should be grateful for what I have lost, and I am. Just a little frustrated and discouraged!

Sorry to whine to you all! Thanks for putting up with it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:23

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Don't get discouraged, hon. I've been doing this since August 18 and have lost 18 pounds (haven't updated - my stats show 17). But you know, the other benefits of this WOL help even out the slowness of losing weight. I feel great. I have tons of energy. My hair and skin have improved greatly. And even though I haven't lost huge amounts of weight, I wear two sizes smaller! My blood sugar is stable, my blood pressure is down and I haven't had a migraine since I started this WOL.

Just hang in there. You've only been doing this for a couple of weeks and you really don't have all that much to lose. We're all here and ready to help or give you encouragement any time you need it.

shortstuff
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:27

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

don't forget that its in direct relation to teh amount you need to lose too, you aren't far from your goal and so the weight won't come off as quickly as someone who as doubel or treble that to lose.

just don't give up - plug your details in fitday to check you are doing it right maybe up your fats or keep an eye in your cals, throw in an additional exercise class.

6lb over 2 weeks is actually double what you should lose on induction - I think its about 10% which mweans 3lb not 6lb

Also the fact that you were doing LC before induction means that you are not shocking your system as its already doing what it should...

Honestly your doing exactly on target and shouldn't worry about it - give the scales and miss for a while and enjoy it instead
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:31
Registered Member

BF:

You guys are so great!!! I do feel better already, and I knew I was just whining. I know I should be happy with 6lbs, but I think you are right. I want to see this drastic loss, but I'm not trying to lose 100lbs. and that probably does make a difference.

This is the point where I always give up. I don't see enough weight gone and I think it is not working. But, obviously it is. I FEEL better and that counts for something! I will NOT stop this WOE, this IS working and will continue to as long as I continue doing it!

Thanks for your responses, you have really helped!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:28

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hey Jenny! They're right. You don't have a lot to lose! So keep your chin up! How you feel is more important than your rate of loss - although sometimes I know that feels more important.... Hugs to you and good luck hon!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 09:08
Registered Member

Stats: 157/157/130 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

from one Jen to another.............hang in there sweetie! 6 pounds in 2 weeks is a very healthy rate at which to lose. Some people seem to take it off faster than others and gender, the amount of weight they have to lose, etc,can have alot to do with it!

shortstuff said it best when stating that it's not just the weight you lose; it's the way this WOE makes you feel. I don't know about you but I have more energy, more control over my appetite, and way less cravings than I did before starting Atkins. I'm healthier than I've ever been and that's way more important than losing weight slowly. It will come off, trust me--you just have to hang in there. It may take a while but I promise you~~~you're worth it!!!

Jen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 09:48
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Drink that water, it'll melt off.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:01

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

I think my loss rate was similar the second week--and I know, we all want to lose 5-6 pounds EVERY week!!! I keep reminding myself what I looked like/felt like before I started, and any amount of loss is better than that! This does work, like nothing else, so I'm glad you're going to keep on.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:10

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey good for you for useing this forum for what it is meant for "Support!"
Everyone, gets a little fustrated now and then but coming here helps keep you on track You have the right additude about it, you'll do fine.

Check my records below, we are pretty close in start weight.

Cheers Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:21

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Good Cop, Bad Cop.....

Good Cop says: "So you lost 2lbs this week. OK, so if all you do is what you did this week how much will you weight in 14 weeks?" (Really, stop and figure this out). Hint 28lbs less than what you weight now....

Bad Cop says: "GET A GRIP! You're succeeding and you're still whining?!?! Did you gain weight this week?!? Did you just maintain your weight this week?!? Did you lose too large and an unhealthy amount of weight this week ?!? NOO! You lost the ideal perfect amount! If you asked your doctor what would be the ideal amount of weight to lose what do you think he'd say?!? ABOUT 2 LBS PER WEEK!!!

......Just kidding! but hopefully it helps you see just how successful you have been! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:30
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Talking Hang in there girl !

YOU CAN DO THIS ! YOU CAN DO THIS ! YOU CAN DO THIS !

I've been on Atkins since July 28th - have lost 15 lbs. That's an 0.8 lbs a week average. Like you I was getting very discouraged. Especially during my 8 week stall..... But thanks to this forum and the support I received, I'm still going strong. I am losing gain, - but VERY SLOW !

The main thing is not to give up !
YOU CAN DO THIS ! YOU CAN DO THIS ! YOU CAN DO THIS !

Last edited by Nille : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 11:33.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:43

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Nille,
Your post made me stop to calculate my lbs per week, and I just have to say wow I never thought of it that way. I lose about 1.2 lbs a week, definatly in wooshes not steady but still that's acutally not bad. Just wanted to say thanks for the realization.

Amy
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:46

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

Pay attention to PilotGal's advice. Two weeks ago, I didn't drink any water, only diet pop (no aspartame, even), and I lost only one pound that week. Soon as I started drinking water again (2 qts a day), the pounds went flying.

I'd never given the water thing too much thought, but I did that week, so I did a bit of research. As it turns out, your kidneys need a lot of water to perform their blood-filtering functions. If they don't have it, they push some of their job off onto the liver. The liver, of course, is the organ that metabolizes fat. It can't do that, though, if it's busy taking on the job of the kidneys.

That's an over-simplified explanation, but it's good enough for me. Anyway, THAT is why you have to drink water. Also (something that's messed me up these last few days), don't go more than six waking hours without eating. That's very important.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 11:48
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Talking See !

We have to focus on the postive stuff, like feeling great and see the scales moving - at leat NOT upward ! And I forgot to mention inches. I've lost no weight for 3 weeks now, but lots if inches ! That counts too !

GO GIRL !

#15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 12:47
Registered Member

BF:

I am overwhelmed by all the support from you guys! This place is wonderful!!!

I am proud of what I have done and I am going just keep plugging away at it! Archie, you are a trip! But, you are so right! I think I had both of those conversations with myself!! I added up what I would be down in 10 weeks if I only lost 2# a week, and wow! That is a lot of weight!

And as I said before and as has been said here again, I feel better and that is just as important!

I need to and can do better in the water department! Starting today!

And just a little brag, I just got back from my son's preschool Thanksgiving feast. I ate turkey and green beans. I turned down mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, rolls, and lots of sweets, oh and fruit. I truly did not even miss it! I am proud of myself!

You all are awesome!