Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 17:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie10
Hi Hilary...I was experimenting today making homemade maple syrup.....Which was very unsuccessful, so far....I was wondering if I could use some browning liquid to make the colour look more like maple syrup?....Julie

Nope. The browning liquids usually have flavor as well and a lot of salt. You might get the right color, but it wouldn't taste good at all!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 17:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleG
Hillary thanks much for the gravy tips. Is Thick and Thin widely available?

Check your local health food store and if they don't have it, you can substitute Guar or Xanthan gum (that's pretty much what Thicknthin is made out of anyway). Just remember...a little goes a long way. If you use too much, you'll wind up with gravy that resembles jello more than gravy.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 20:31

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielleG
Ok I have to admite something here. My momma never could teach me to make a proper gravey. how does one do it with soy flour? is it a mater of using turkey dripings and browning it in a skillet then adding water?

Gabrielle

When I make gravy I disolve the flour in a little water then I pour the soy flour/water mixture into the pan drippings. Knowing my husband, he made a rue of the soy flour. That is when you put the dry flour into the hot drippings and it
it will make a brown paste. Then add chicken broth and seasonings. It should need no thickener.

Black57
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:28
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Lisa's right about the browning liquid. It's for meats only, and I'm sure it would add a very weird flavor to sweet things. As for buying the ThickNThin, I ordered mine off the Atkins website. You might balk at the $17 price, but a little goes a long way and I'm sure this container will last me a year or two at least. Like Lisa said, you can also try other thickening agents like guar or xantham. I haven't used those but I'm sure they all work about the same.

On another note, Atkins also makes a ThickNThin called "Not Sugar" as well as the "Not Starch." Does anyone know the difference?
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:52

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

Expert Foods makes the "ThickenThin" products, you can check out their website for product descriptions. However, I don't have personal experience to know the difference between them. I have xantham gum and use it for thickening. I bought it at my health food store for $7.50 for an 8 oz. pkg.

http://www.expertfoods.com/products.php#thickenthin

They also have some great recipes (I'm going to make their green bean casserole and sweet not/tatoes for Thanksgiving dinner).
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 10:55

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%

Thanks Lisa and Hilary for the infor about browning liquid....I will try my gravy next time with the soy flour also.....Julie