Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 08:25
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Thumbs up I made homemade yogurt with Atkins approved milk..

oh YUM!!!!!!!!!!!! I used one quart of the whole (red carton) CarbCountdown (with the Atkins seal of approval on it) and one packet of the yogourmet starter, put it in my yogurt maker (the one I have, you can start with cold milk) and it took about 7 hours. I had some this morning with some raspberry davinci syrup mixed in and some LC granola on top, it was heaven, and at roughly 1.5 carbs per 1/2 cup serving, you can't go wrong!

I can't wait to try it with the LC chocolate milk, and with other Davinci syrups mixed in. I also have some LC Steels jam to mix in...ooooo, the possibilities!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 08:38

Plan: Atkins (modified - no red meat)
Stats: 324/244/150 Female 5'6
BF:46.6%?/42/20%
Progress: 46%

That sounds delicious! Where do you find your "supplies?"
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 08:50
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Did it turn out thick enough? I have some dried milk I was going to add in, which would raise up the carbs, but I was worried that with just the carb count down milk I would have more drinkable yogurt.

I'll have to find some yogurt starter maybe. I might just use store bought though for the first batch. My yogurt maker should arrive in the mail 5-9 days from now, I can't wait
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 09:10
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

It was plenty thick for *me*, you may like it thicker. When I tipped the jars to test thickness, it did not move at all, only when I stirred the whey back in did it get a bit thinner. (you can also drain the whey off the top, but you also lose some protein that way)

Here are the ingredients in the yogourmet starter:

Ingredients: skim milk, sucrose, ascorbic acid, lactic bacteria (L. acidophilius, S. thermophilius, and L. bulgaricus)

You only use 1 Tbs per quart batch, so I would guess that the carbs added from the skim milk and sucrose would be negligible over the 8 servings.

Last edited by 4beans4me : Tue, Nov-25-03 at 07:43.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 13:35
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

I'm sorry Melissa! I totally overlooked your reply!

As for my *supplies* I have a Miracle Yogurt Maker (JC70). I used a packet of starter, (you can also just use a few Tbs of plain, full fat yogurt) and 1 quart of LC milk. That's it! It took me maybe 5 minutes to make and clean up LOL!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 19:11
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Quote:
Miracle Yogurt Maker JC70

I looked at that, but all the small jars looked too much fuss. Instead I got Salton YM9 1-Quart Yogurt Maker
which was much cheaper. I think you have to warm the milk first though, but that shouldn't be to complicated.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...5649043-5568019

I'm ordering 15 min LC recipes and 500lc recipes for my mother while I'm digging around Amazon
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 19:32
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

See now, my thoughts were that I would rather fuss with the jars (I actually like that it is all pre-portioned that way) than deal with heating and cooling the milk mixture I ended up getting mine off of eBay, new and in the box for $9.95 plus shipping. I'm going to keep my eye's peeled for some replacement jars on there so that I can make a batch while the other is in the fridge.

I'm getting those 2 cookbooks for Christmas from my parents! I can't wait!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 20:14
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

hey where do you find the atkins approved milk? I had some LC granola that would be better with a milk. what did it taste like?
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 21:50

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

GabrielleG...Carb Countdown (made by Hood) milk is probably what she's talking about...the only place I've found it here is in our Super Walmart...red carton is homogenized (as close to regular milk as you;ll get, IMHO), brown carton is chocolate...both are delicious to me!

Sherry
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 22:43
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

Yep! That's exactly what I used, the Hood LC milk.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 09:22
Gold Member

Aww darn no Supper Walmart near me. I do have a regular Walmart but it's somewhat far away. Oh well maybe I'll check in with the company to see who carries it in my area.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 09:28
Anyone?? Bueller?

BF:

Another idea is to use a Tbs of heavy cream and a Tbs of water mixed over your granola. This is what I used to do before I found the milk.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 10:13
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

What can also work is to make your own Almond milk. Basicaly you put the almonds in a blender with boiling water and blend. There's an actual recipe on here somewhere. Coconut milk is also a great health food. It has some carbs, so use in moderation, but great for lactose intolerent people. Lactose reduced milk and goat's milk both have lower carbs then regular milk, though still a bit higher.

For cereal, drinks and what not I still love soy slender. It's splenda sweetened and only 1 net carb per 8oz cup. Because it deosn't have all the fillers, there's not that funny soy milk taste other brands have. It comes in chocolate, vanilla, and cappichino.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 10:53
Gold Member

hey ladybelle I have used the soy slender, and though I like it a lot I am finding that it is becoming a tad to sweet for me when coupled with my granola. I'm sure this is a product of this WOE because I used to love sweet things. I am using the organic soy milk by westsoy now.

Gabrielle
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 08:18
Resident Loud Mouth

BF:

Well my yogurt came out. It was really thick too, almost jellied like. It was a bit tart, but that is because I did a 12 hour batch and used goat's milk yogurt as a starter. I think next time I'll use a little of this batch as a starter and do a 6 hour batch. Either way fresh homeade yogurt for 3g net a cup sounds like a great treat.

The milk also is good in my morning coffee since I have to avoid cream. Lets see if it trigegrs cravings like cream does though.