Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 13:49
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 211/189/160 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default Shame on me!!

Well, 3 1/2 months and 22 pounds lighter and I cheated this morning. I had a donut!!! I am so dissapointed. Here is my question. Anyone know how many carbs you burn off exercising? Any info on that would be greatly appreciated. I want to know what I have to do to get these excess carbs out of my system. I don't care if I have to walk 20 miles today, I want to get back to burning fat asap!!
Thanks in advance for the help....
La Vonna
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 13:57

Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

that's an interesting question, but i think you've done the hardest part....you stopped at just ONE donut!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 14:14
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

No worries La Vonna! Minor setback, as sjkling said above, you overcame the hardest part by just stopping at one! Stay focused and you'll be back in ketosis before you know it!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 14:16
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I don't know exactly how much excercise, but I do know when I had a cheat everyone recomended upping water intake to help flush out system of carbs... could help.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 14:22
Registered Member

BF:

lol.....ok, truth be know, it was one plus 1/2 that someone else didn't finish...oops, did I forget to mention that part ;-) Thanks for the encourgement guys, it helps a ton! I guess it's good that I just got my Winsor Pilates tapes in the mail this weekend hu. Anybody out there try these tapes?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 14:32
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I just picked up a Denise Austin Pilates dvd this weekend, havent tried it out yet.... Was looking for the Windsor one, but this one was in the $4.88 bin so I figured why not.....
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 15:09

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Its not called a WO LIFE for nothing. You can't possibly go through the rest of your life without ever indulging in some unhealthy carb treat. But its not food. Food is the real stuff you go back to eating now that you had your indulgence. Just pick up where you left off. IMHO as long as you ate it, savor the memory, enjoy the moment and move on. Guilt is a useless and negative emotion. Knowing that it was an indulgence is the key. Good for you!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 15:26

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

I LOVE Winsor Pilates. Which one(s) did you get? I got a set of three through the internet and I just love them. Word to the wise though, Pilates is harder than it looks but after the first few days you'll notice how much more toned your feeling.

I also do Tai Chi as relaxation. I find the slow graceful movements relax my mind and body and get me ready for the day or night, depending on which set I do.

shortstuff

Last edited by shortstuff : Mon, Nov-24-03 at 15:28.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 15:29
Registered Member

BF:

excellent advice! Thank you.....to tell you the truth, after I ate it, I thought "My gosh, that was just way too sweet" I didn't feel like, "ahhhh, that was devine" (thank goodness!) And yesterday was my birthday, and I didn't induldge in any cake at all....in fact I threatened my family within an inch of their lives if they even considered a cake for me.

I will get past this, I just want to get these carbs out of my system asap! Now, I figure that the reason they always tell you, when you are working out, that the first 20 minutes you are not burning fat, is because you are actually getting rid of the carbs first. At least that is my theroy. So, do you generally get rid of excess carbs in about 20 minutes of rigerous exercise? Anyone know ??? Am I way off base here?
La Vonna
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 15:33
Registered Member

BF:

Hi shortstuff! I got the same ones. I did them a little while ago and you are right, it is harder than it looks! But, I feel good. It's so short, I couldn't believe it was that short. How long have you been doing it? Do you do it every day, or just 3 days a week? I think I'm going to like it and coupled with my walking on my treadmill, I hope to start seeing results soon. I forgot to mention that I hit my first plateau.....I've lost 22 lbs, but am stuck there for about 3 weeks now. Maybe that is why I cracked and had the donut. But, I will get right back to my new way of eating, as I will never go back to my old ways!
La Vonna
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 18:02
Registered Member

Stats: 212/175/159 Male 66 inches
BF:33/23/14
Progress: 70%

Happy birthday Lavonna,

Don't worry about the doughnut, you can have another one on your next birthday. You're doing great on this WOE, keep it up.

By the way, yesterday was my birthday too.

Johnie
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 18:08
Carb Nazi

Stats: 260/255/160 Male 6'0
BF:YES!
Progress: 5%

Lavonna: I don't think exercising helps as far as carbs go. It usually takes me 3 days to get back into ketosis after a slip. Good news is, as someone has already said, you stopped at one donut! I had a slip with pizza a year ago after losing 20 lbs. and it took me a year to get back going. You will be fine! GOOD LUCK!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 18:31
Registered Member

BF:

I'm not so sure about that. I know that the body goes after the carbs to burn for energy, then when they are depleted, it goes after the fat. Therefore, I'm wondering how long it takes for it to burn through the carbs.
Glad to hear you are going strong again MadMike!
La Vonna
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 18:43

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

If you are usually on ketosis on this diet, it shouldn't take you long at all to get back into it. Just drink lots of water to flush the carbs out. Also, I believe I saw a low-carb donut recipe somewhere in the recipe forums... maybe try for that next time
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 18:54
Registered Member

BF:

sweet! I must find that.