Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 09:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 294/255/155 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Help!!! In an eating rut

OK you guys, I need some help. I've been doing Atkins for 7 months, and lately am finding myself eating the same things all the time. It's not really intentional, but easier I guess. I haven't been going to the recipe section or anything like that.
Do you all find that you do that, too? Or do you all eat a lot of different things. If you don't eat differently all the time, what do you do to get out of the rut? Or do you? I have no desire to go off my plan or anything like like. Not tempted to eat anything high carb, but sometimes I just feel blah with what I'm eating all the time. Any suggestions?
I find myself eating a lot of eggs. Eggs with sauted veggies for bkft. Hard boiled eggs with cut up veggies for snacks, sometimes meals. Meat for dinner. When working at night, usually hb eggs or left-over meat from dinner. When I eat my salad, it's Romaine, with other veggies, and my flax seed.
Thanks,
Echo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:02
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

I eat the same old stuff all the time its just easier I don't have the time or skill to cook somthing new all the time!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

i do the same stuff most of the time, but i'm happy with it. i did try the pizza quiche and scalloped cauliflower, and was pleasantly surprised by both of them! they are going to become part of the "rut!"
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:09

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

I told my DH only yesterday that I couldn't be bothered with food anymore because it had gotten boring - eggs, meat, salad and more eggs!! He resolved that by cooking the most delicious prawn curry which I had with La Tortilla. It was really yummy. Restored my faith in food!!! Sorry, don't have the recipe but I'd urge you to try the Tequila Chicken from the Atkins recipe site. It's really easy to make and well worth the effort with some salsa and sour cream on top!!! Also there are some cool and easy to make recipes on this forum which are worth it. If you take the time to make it the first time its very easy to make after that.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 11:22

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Get yourself a good cookbook (I love 500 Low Carb recipes by Dana Carpender) and a little food processor or a blender if you don't have such.
I think leafing through a good low carb cookbook will inspire you to try something, and then you are on your way.
I never cooked before! Now I'm getting into it, making Italian Pot Roast tonight. If it turns out well I'll post the recipe.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 11:24
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I went out and bought a big bag of pre-cooked shrimp at Sam's Club. Wife made scampi out of it. Mmmmm. And a bag with enough servings for 8-10 meals (big meals) was only 8 bucks.

Also if you can find the low carb tortillas (and if they are usable on your food program) they add variety to any of the old foods!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 11:27

Stats: 480/440.2/225 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Hmm, I eat the same foods all the time. It will probably be until I get so comfortable in this WOL that it is second nature - I'm not quite there yet.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:13

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

I really don't mind the rut. One of the mental paradigm shifts I'm trying to make is that food should be considered fuel, and not much more. I used to look forward to what I was eating tonight. Now I look forward to seeing that scale move the right direction in the morning.

Having said that, I think the advent of La Tortilla and low carb taco shells, Atkins BBQ sauce, and other things has helped. I've never been a big green veggie eater other than salad, so I'm learning to love asparagus, etc.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:37

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%

I eat dinner for breakfast and breakfast for dinner. I guess it feels like a switch. I bought some Atkins shakes to have for breakfast and I tried his cereal. It was worth the few extra bucks to have something different for a change.
There are tons of recipes here that are pretty simple. My family loves the Deep Dish Pizza quiche. We NEVER seem to have leftovers unless I hide it. LOL! It's great anytime of the day.
With a little effort you will find a variety of satisfying LC recipes that will add a little flavor to your palate.
Tanya
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:48

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I think it's fair to say that I eat a lot of the same foods/recipes on a regular basis...

...but then again that's not so unusual, LCing or not.

You might want to try making a menu for, say 2 full weeks. See how many different recipes you can come up with. If you're stuck for inspiration, check out the recipes section--seems like new recipes show up there on a daily basis.

Oh, and I know you already know this, but just because something is listed as a breakfast recipe doesn't mean that it can't be good for dinner. And visa versa.

Donald
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:48
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

I don't see it as a rut, to me it's more like a safe place where I can eat foods that are good for me, which are not making me fat, and are improving my health. Before I changed my eating habits I was in a rut, only I was eating all the wrong foods.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 14:47
SeeMyself

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi,

I tend to eat pretty much the same during the day, because I am by myself, (still being new, that way I keep my carb counts accurate). But at night, since my hubby is doing this with me I try to get creative. He will get in a real rut if we eat the same thing every night and if he goes off this woe it will be hard for me ( I am strong, but not quite there yet) So I have been hitting the recipe section plus I have been taking some old favorites that we use to eat and just making them low carb, but adding different things to them, and having more vege's on the side.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 15:46

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Like several others who have replied here, I have de-emphasized food in my life - I just don't spend as much time thinking about food as I used to, which makes it easier for me to eat less. At the same time I still basically love food (I'd be willing to bet that's something we all share) so what I do is actually "cook" about once a week, sometimes even less often than that. I'll make a casserole, or a really good soup (soup can be high protein if you use homemade rich broth), or some baked chicken with good stuff on top. I save back a couple meals' worth and freeze the rest in small containers. I keep veggies and make them fresh all the time, but that doesn't take long. Another staple of my diet is fresh spinach for salads (I got burned out on lettuce) and I make the dressing to my own taste so I don't get tired of it - sometimes I have two kinds in the fridge at once. Now see, talking about this is making me hungry )
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 17:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I dont eat the same things all the time. take tonight for example
poppy seed encrusted sea bass. On a bed of lobster, grilled aspergrass, and marinated watercress. All with a yummy lemon butter sauce.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 21:06

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I eat a variety of things because I like to cook and I cook for my family. I cook all low carb. I scavenged a lot of recipes from the forums here and other places on the internet. So I am trying a lot of them out and that makes for a pretty good variety. Right now I am trying out some of the cookie recipes to see what ones can become family favorites for the holidays.