Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.K.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 02:04

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Thumbs up Atkins - Fat or Fiction

Summary of the programme. This was an hour documentary. I thought that it was very good and did not get worked up at all. As you would expect it was not 100% supportive, but I thought it told the story well. History about the Atkins diet was given and they even referred back to Banting and his letter of copulence. They also discussed how when it was published in 1972 it was lambasted in the US. Then of course the low fat movement came on board and it fell more into disfavour. The book was rewritten in 1992 in the US and once again the revolution started. There were people talking about the celebs in Hollywood on it, but more importantly that bread and chips are almost a thing of the past there. Starters or canapes appear to be mainly meat or tuna. They said in the UK about how it was catching on and that the bread, potato, pharmaceutical and slimming industries are all feeling the pinch because of it. Therefore for their own livelihoods they will look to discredit it. There were UK representatives from the Medical Research Council and Kings College London, both doctors, who were not keen on the approach, regarding it as unhealthy, but were not out and out against it. There were case studies of several people who had tried it with great success including one girl who lost 4 stone and conceived rather than having to have fertility treatment as she was expecting to have. They call the baby their Atkins child. They certainly said about it being a diet that men like as it does not seem like a diet and its clear guidelines are easy to follow. There was also a video diary of a girl who started Atkins and followed her for 3 weeks. Whilst she lost 10 pounds over the time she did not enjoy it and was cheating on cereal and some fruit. It was noticeable that she had a cold for much of the time and this would not have helped, so I'm not sure if this really affected her approach to it. I don't think she went into it with a positive frame of mind and this also did not help. We did not really see what she was eating so it is difficult to know if she was doing anything wrong. So overall a very good programme.