Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 08:51

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Red face Need to vent.

The other day I went shopping with my partner, and I swear, it must have been the hardest thing I have ever done. It wasn't so hard before, but this time it was horrible. I am sure it didn't help that I was starving when I went it there. I think I read every label on every loaf of bread. I did find one that was 18g of carbs w/ 7 fibre. I drooled over every cookie. I wanted chips. I SUCK!

But, it is more than that. As you all know, he is not on this WOE with me. I am going it alone (No offense intended). I think I am bitter. That night he made these wonderful burritos. All this beef, peppers and REFRIED BEANS wrapped in a tortilla, fried in olive oil! He does what I call "Costco Cooking" too. I think he made about 10 of them, for lunches and quick dinners. So I am sitting there, drooling because the whole house smells so delicious. I think I had better invest in some of those LC Tortillas (Island Girl...if you read this...plleeeasse hook me up ) I really wish he would join me on this. At the same time, I love to see him happy...hehe, and he is happiest when he eats.

All in all, I really, really want to get to my goal weight. I have hit this major stall and feeling very discouraged. I did my Fitday yesterday and realized I really shouldn't have had that cup of blueberries and that peach...and that made me really sad, because, well, it's fruit.

Well, just from re-reading this. MY NAME IS LINNEA, AND I AM A CARB ADDICT.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 09:00

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Linnea

If you've been on Atkins since June 2001, you can certainly have the fruit. Blueberries are low in carbs. Peaches are pretty good too. I dont think I'd have had BOTH but one or of them would have been just fine.

Hang in there, I know it can be tough when you're the only one in the house following this WOE, but the benefits far outweight the inconveniences that rear their ugly head from time to time.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 09:20
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Is there some way you could "convert" him? LC is not just for losing weight. It is for overall, general health.

The Schwarzbein Principle explains very convincingly why the standard diet is bad, and low-carbing is good. Although I could not use her plan myself, the principles are sound. You should have a look at it.

Where we humans really fall down is not doing something before it's too late. Most of us have a heart attack before we realize it's time to change our way of life. Sometimes, it's not soon enough!

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 09:27

BF:
Default Fruit

Would you say it is safe to have one serving of fruit (blueberries, peaches, strawberries) a day?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 09:32

BF:

Karen,

I am trying to bring him over to the light-side. He liked my cheesecake, and I made some LC Bread (He liked that more than I did). I would really like him to eat a little healthier (he's insulin dependent...and the less carbs the better).

I guess, baby steps.

(You know, I think I would like to read every LC book. They are all so interesting. Has anyone ever read "Eat for your blood type?... How was it?)
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 10:01
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/140/125
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default I know exactly how you feel.

My husband has NEVER had a weight problem and can eat like a pig. Although he's getting better, the other day we stopped at McDonald's and he ordered 2 Big Mac's and a super duper, extra large, mouthwatering size French Fries! Ok, those are my absolute favorite. I ordered a Diet Coke. I figured he would wait to get home before he started chowing down on them but.......noooooooooo. I almost killed him. (kidding)

This morning he made me breakfast in bed (eggs, bacon) so I guess he's ok. LOL

Jen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 10:18

BF:
Default Slight Clarification

Hehe, I never said he doesn't have a weight problem

(McDonald's burgers taste exactly the same without the bun! I take a cheeseburger, remove the bun, then fold it like a taco. Give it a try next time he orders his fries! )
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 10:30
Registered Member

BF:
Default I know....

, I have ordered burgers LOTS of times without the bun. I usually order it that way so the cheese doesn't melt on the bun and I would throw the bun away with 1/2 the cheese.

I really like Burger King's Xtreme burger....yummy.

Jen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 11:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: I know....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenyphur
, I have ordered burgers LOTS of times without the bun. I usually order it that way so the cheese doesn't melt on the bun and I would throw the bun away with 1/2 the cheese.

They do that?????? OMG! We've been ordering them with the condiments and cheese under the patty, throwing away the top half of the bun, and eating around the bottom half. Quite an undertaking if you're doing drive through... Never occurred to me to ask for it WITHOUT the bun!!!!!

Thx, I learned something today!
Nat
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 11:26
Registered Member

BF:
Default Yep

Yeah, sometimes they give you a strange look but isn't Burger King's motto: "Have it your way?" I am having it my way all right! Plus you get all the gooey cheese, nothing is wasted. lol

Jen
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Sep-06-01, 11:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
Would you say it is safe to have one serving of fruit (blueberries, peaches, strawberries) a day?

It's safe only if:
  • It falls within your carb allowance for the day
  • It does not trigger carb cravings
  • Your weight loss remains steady

Karen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 16:35

Plan: PPP
Stats: /////////// Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default read any good books?

Linnea, I just returned a library copy of Cook Right for Your Blood Type. A health food store employee recommended it to me because of the blood type food charts. Considering that I am committed to low-carb, I decided that it was all pretty irrelevant and not very helpful.

Karen, I just finished reading the The Schwarzbein Principle. It is a great book for convincing people that high-carb, low-fat will not help them be healthy. I was almost ready to buy it and send it to my daughter and her husband (totally starch and sugar-centred life-style) until I came to the sidebar about a how dangerous a certain low-carb fad diet that focuses on ketones is. Now there's a concept I don't want to spread around. Sheesh!!! Do these people read each other's books?