Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 08:29
Anyone?? Bueller?

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default How many Atkids here use *the sticks*?

Just wondering how many of you use the ketosis strips? Do they help you, do they frustrate you? How often do you test with them, and what time during the day works best?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 08:38

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I use them fairly often - especially since I have started OWL and would like to monitor how I react to certain foods.....if I have higher carbs or something new, I do like to test once in a while to see if I am still in ketosis.

I understand the best time to test is in the evening 2 hours after a meal. If you test in the morning upon awakening you will almost always be in ketosis and your sticks will register darkest due to lack of water during sleep hours.

For those that don't know - it does not matter how dark the stick registers...any "pinkness" indicates your body is in ketosis. But all this means is that your body is burning fat for fuel instead of glucose - it can be dietary fat and not stored fat (which is what we all prefer!). I have noticed if my fat intake is higher (70%) my sticks still register ketosis, but my weight loss stops. I have better results sticking to around 65% as I guess at that level I may be burning stored fat, instead of dietary fat!

Froufie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 09:57
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I used to test every evening. Now, I do it every couple of days or especially if I haven't noticed any changes on the scales.
Regardless of the results, I won't get discouraged unless I stay out of pink for several days. (Which so far hasn't happened.)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 10:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%

used them daily in the beginning and usually tested first just before I went to bed. I figured that after a day of eating IF I was still in ketosis that I had had a successful day.

NOW I only test when Ive had a carb bing (LIKE YESTEDAY!) to confirm that I am able to get myself BACK into ketosis.

SOMEONE on this board (and forgive me but I forget who) gave this WONDERFUL tip. Cut your strips in half. (the long way of course!!). Because all you need is a tiny portion of the test pad to tell what color it is AND this doubles your suply. And for those of us pinching pennies THIS was one of the BEST tips I ever got!!

Any of this help? L
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 10:32
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Now I maybe use them once a week, just to make sure all is going well.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 17:54
Registered Member

Stats: 234.5/195.2/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I test every night about 10 pm. Every time I have tested I get the same result so I had my wife try it and she showed different so they must work. It seems you may need to use them in the beginning until yoiu learn how to read your own body and you can tell exactly what the strip will say before you use it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:26

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I have never used them but I think if they help to motivate you then go for it! I just couldn't really afford the extra expense.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:57

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

I use them--often in the beginning, once in a while now just to make sure that ketosis continues (especially since I add in some extra carbs now and then).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 18:57
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I use them
First thing in the morning when my urine is most concentrated.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 19:28

Stats: 271.5/233.5/210 Male 69 Inches
BF:35 - I am a Burger
Progress: 62%

I use them once every few days. Of course I have only been on this diet since 11-10-03 and I have been purple the entire time......

But I use them not so often but I do use them.

It just makes me laugh to think there are thousands of folks taking a wiz with a stick in their pee. Then they flick it dry, and hold it looking for it to change color.

We certainly do have tons of time on our hands dont we........

Max
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 19:52

Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I use them every day. I just started two weeks ago, so they've given me reassurance that I'm burning fat -- no matter what kind. There were some days during induction that I didn't lose, or even gained (always lost it the next day -- it was water), so the sticks confirmed that my body was doing what it was suppose to.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 10:17

Stats: 184/155/128 Female 5feet3inches
BF:
Progress: 52%

I used them constantly in the beginning. I use them now only once in a while when I remember too. I think they definitely helped me to stay on the diet because I could "see" that I was burning or eliminating fat. I don't put too much emphasis on them now, I wasn't getting the purple results as much. I'm glad I read that it doesn't always have to be purple and that is definitely a great tip to cut them in half. Thanks
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 14:00
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

Thank you everyone for your responses! I haven't tried the sticks yet... I'm thinking they would probably be just another thing in my life to obsess about
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 14:50

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I think it is best to test in the evening before bed. If you are in ketosis, this will confirm that you didn't have too many carbs that day. For new LCers, you should test every day or every other day as you get used to eating this way. After about 3 or 4 weeks, maybe test once a week just to make sure you are still on the right track