Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 21:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212.5/188/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%
Default low carb cool whip?

Has anyone heard on this.. I just did a survey on this.. so I kinda wondered if perhaps they are just getting an idea of what or how it will sell or if its already on the market.. Anyone know?
Thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 21:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

This is the first I've heard of it, but the only way I would ever buy that over real whipping cream is if they took out the hydrogenated fats!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 09:33
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It would be nice if they used real whipped cream and splenda or unsweetneed for the can. Those things are so fun to play with
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 11:25

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 183/180/145 Female 5'3"
BF:lots/of/it
Progress: 8%

I bought a whip cream dispenser on line~one of the best investment I ever made. Just add heavy cream, splenda or flavored syrup, screw in a cartridge and you have the best tasting whip cream~always on hand.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 16:11

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question Huh?

I'm a bit confused here.........

I thought I read in the Atkins carb counter that Cool Whip carbs are negligible...so how could there be a need for low carb Cool Whip? I read the labels of some cartons...and they all say 1 carb per serving...that seems pretty low to me anyway.

I don't get it....

Last edited by DerBlumers : Sat, Nov-15-03 at 16:13.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 16:48
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The carbs are low, but one of the main ingredients is corn syrup (i.e. sugar) and trans fats (the kind that cause heart trouble). Cool whip is one of those things that doesn't look bad, but is extreamly unhealthy.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 09:31
Registered Member

Stats: 234.5/195.2/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I use it. A tablespoon at a time isn't going to kill you. I put 2 tbl on my sf jello and I love it. Funny that I really never liked jello before. I hadn't had anything sweet for a month and a half until I had the jello and Cool Whip and was awesome. lol
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:04
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Actually, the carbs for CoolWhip aren't that low .. a 2 tbsp serving of regular has 2g carbs, and for the light .. 1g carb. Remember -- they're not referring to 2 heaped mounds, they mean 2 level Tbsp measures, which is a very small amount.

Low-carb CoolWhip will likely be the usual blend of hydrogenated trans fat plus chemical stabilizers plus artificial sweetener .. and since the maker of CoolWhip (Kraft) has ties with Nutrasweet, you can bet the sweetener will be aspartame, not sucralose (Splenda).

IMO, the only use for CoolWhip is the handy plastic container which is just the right size for a lunchtime salad.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 10:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
A tablespoon at a time isn't going to kill you.

Maybe not, but when you have an alternative that tastes better, costs less and is better for your overall health, why use the other product? I don't know about everyone else, but I'm doing this to improve my health as well as lose weight and it would seem that eating stuff with hydrogenated fat in it would be counterproductive towards that goal even in small amounts no matter how low the carbs are. After all...margarine doesn't have any carbs, but you wouldn't catch me ever putting that stuff in my mouth! I wouldn't even use it when I was on low fat!
If it's for convenience, I'd go for the Reddi Whip in an aerosol can over the Cool Whip. It's less than 1 gram of carb for 2 tablespoons and at least it doesn't have hydrogenated fat (transfats) in it. I check the "Fat free" Cool Whip at the store yesterday just out of curiosity and even that lists "partially hydrogenated coconut or palm oil" as the second ingredient. How that can be and still be labeled as "fat free" is beyond me, but it's there for anyone who cares to read the label to see.
IMNSHO, nothing beats real whipped cream yet, though. It takes less than 2 minutes to whip and will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator once it's whippped.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, Nov-16-03 at 10:11.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 12:01
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
It takes less than 2 minutes to whip and will keep for 2-3 days in the refrigerator once it's whippped.

Not in my fridge it doesn't, it's far too yummy!