Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 08:44

Plan: Atkins/M&E/HCG
Stats: 233/186/160 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Can I loose weight if I'm not in Ketos?

Ive been struggling for a while now. Did my fitday for a couple of weeks keeping my carbs around 25 some days up some down. With around 1900 calories. But, I finally got tired of no weight loss and just started eating. All legal foods mind you, I was more like 35 carbs and eating some lc Icecream. Now the last couple of days I've been out of Ketos and loosing weight again. I weighed today at 196 I've never been down that low. I'm wondering if its water loose only to be gained back again maybe. Or perhaps my body decided that me eating more carbs ment the famine was over and it's time to loose my fat finally. I just didn't know if you can really loose weight if your not in Ketos. But then other lc diets don't all require that you go into Ketos do they?

Of course my weight loss could be due to other things I do know that. There are SO many variable in this life style. I did start taking new suppliments now, so it could be that. The more I learn on here the more confused I get. A person could really become obsesed over what to do and what not to do. OHHH

Deana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 08:59
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

I am not really sure what is going on with you Deana, it may be one of the things you mentioned, it may also be that you were ready to up your carbs.I know I started losing again when I moved into OWL after a stall at induction levels. the weight loss was slow, but still, it was going. How are you determining that you are or are not in ketosis? are you using the strips? I have heard that they go bad quickly and they are very tempramental things. The book says that if you are losing, you are in ketosis. I guage by my breath and weather I am losing. I don't use the sticks, also they become less acurate as you increase your carb level. Another thing I noticed is that my body will sit at a weight that it had been at previously longer than any other weight. I will lose 2 or 3 pounds a week consistently then hit a weight I was at for a long time and slow waayyyy down. I dont know if this is a factor for you or not. Have you changed your sodium intake recently? how is water intake?
Your body could also just be taking a break from losing to catch up with itself, were you still losing inches when you didnt lose weight? are you excercising.
Yep it can make you crazy, but I just think what is working for me now is what I am going to do right now!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 09:01

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The short answer is yes. Many low carb plans don't focus on ketosis for the purpose of weight loss. Being in ketosis does help with keeping your appetite down. Also, how are you measuring whether or not you are in ketosis? If it's through the ketone test strips that you dip in urine, they can be very misleading as they measure both dietary fat (that which you eat) as well as your own body fat being burned. They also only measure one type of ketone and your body produces at least a couple. Something else that you may want to consider is that the test strips (if you are using them) may be registering no ketones because your body is using them all for fuel and so there is no "excess" to be measuerd in your urine.
Go with how your clothes fit and what the scale says. Take measurements regularly as well since the scale also doesn't give you a complete picture of what is going on with your weight loss progress.
Keep at it...it looks like you're doing fine!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 09:24

BF:

I do use the strips to test. I bought them in late August and use them a couple times a week. They have shown me in Ketos since day one. Then the last couple of times I tested I haven't been in. They could be bad, not sure.
I do measure, that's a funny one. I've lost many inches and no weight for about 2 months. I know not a true stall. Yes 200 lb's is a weight I was at for a long time previously. So I've kept that in mind. I have always exercised doing cardio for 4-5 days a week. Last week I hurt my knee and I've cut way back. Hate to think my not exercising could cause that. Don't even want to go there. LOL
My water intake is the same 154 oz a day, yes my sodium is down. I cut out my fried pork skins. That could be a big help.

Thanks for your replies.

Deana
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 12:48

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%

woolina,

Hi, how can your breath tell you that you are in Ketosis? I thought about buying the strips but would like a free method better..

Thanks,
Kat
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 19:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

I haven't been in "measurable" ketosis in probably six months but the weight loss has continued. Frankly as long as the inches are coming off I wouldn't worry about it.

OG
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 20:13

BF:

OG,
You have come a long way, great job.
Thanks for the input.

Deana
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 20:23

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Ohhh yes you HAVE come a long way OG! and cool name too!!!

I think you sure can lose weight not in ketosis! but I seem to stay in it even if I eat tons of carbs and then I dont lose weight oddly enough..lol I test in the morning before eating I think its more accurate that way.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 07:38
Low Carb Cowgirl

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 210/174/145 Female 5 ft 5 in
BF:
Progress: 55%

Fatkat,
You extrete (sp) ketones through your breath and in your urine both. Their is a distinctive odor affectionately known as "keto breath" or keto urine. It is a lot like dragon breath.... hehehehe