Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 08:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251/236/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 16%
Cool New to lowcarb *first day

Hi, it's my first day. I am a newbie. I have been trying to loose weight for as long as I can remember and I hope this new WOE will work for me. I am facing a big challenge as I want to go down to 150 from 235. I am hopefull I can do it. It's very hard for me to stick a eating plan since I travel for work, I mean I eat in restaurant every day, three times a day....for 45 weeks out of the year. So, you can see how it has been really hard for me to focuse on healthy habits. But, I think I can do it with the low-carb WOE.

Would love to hear from people who travel alot and can give me some tips on how to stay on track. Thanks and wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 08:55

Plan: Low Carb - Real Foods
Stats: 177/168.5/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Smile Great to see you, Techgirl

I can't say I travel a lot. But I do work in the heart of Vancouver...and I am horrible at making myself lunches. So, what alternative is there? Must eat out!

I have found eating out is really not that bad. I will give you some examples of my experiences.

I love sushi...however, rice is out. Sashimi! (just the fish)

McDonald's cheeseburgers taste EXACTLY the same with no bun...also you can have a side of nuggets.

Greek, I get the potatoes exchanged for greek salad and a meatball instead of the rice.

Chinese, Stir Fry with no rice.

Churches chicken. Need I say more.

At last but not least. You have to love salads. Every restaurant has salads right.

whew...blabbering.

Good luck. Keep us in the loop as to how things are going.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 09:01
Registered Member

BF:
Question

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the stir fry at lunch.
I had a ham and onion omellet at breakfast with grapefruit juice. I think the grapefruit juice was a mistake???? not sure???

Can anyone tell me if grapefruit juice is OK?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 09:01

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Traveling and LC

Hello and welcome tech. You've found the right place for information and support. Good luck to you.

Regarding the travelling. Work usually dictates I travel a bit each year (one week a month from Oct - May). While eating low fat, I was very uncomfortable with the idea of dining out for 3 meals, however I think it will be easier with this WOE. I know I can always find a ceasar salad with chicken, a good steak w/ veggies, chicken wings (yum)... and breafasts arent going to be a problem anymore... leftovers. Finding skim milk, fresh fruit and "healthy" foods in a city that is foreign to you isnt easy.... and thankfully its no longer necessary.

Once you get the hang of LC, you'll see just how EASY this WOL is and just how great it makes you feel!

Cheers,
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 09:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by techgirl
I think the grapefruit juice was a mistake???? not sure???
Can anyone tell me if grapefruit juice is OK?

I see you're following Suzanne Sommers, so I'm pretty sure grapfruit juice is OK. If you were on Atkins or PP it would be a No-No. You might want to pull out your copy of the Sommers book and do a quick re-read. The comments made on here tend to be from people following a much stricter low carb program than you're on, it might be confusing.

I also noticed you're in Ottawa. Hi Neighbour!
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 09:24

Plan: Atkins induction AGAIN...
Stats: 242/197/199 Female 5'8.5"
BF:ALOT
Progress: 105%
Wink

Welcome aboard, I just came on here yesterday, although I have tried the LC plan before and it worked fabulous for me, I just let myself veer away from it for much too long and want to get back on track. I was looking at your numbers and we are starting at the same, so thought we have a little something in common. I want to stay connected to this support board so I can stay on track and hit and maybe surpass my goals. Hope you do to.

I do not travel, but most restaurants have wonderful salads, like chicken Caeser, blackened chicken, or steak, go for those, there are tons of choices when you are out to eat, ask for extra cheese on stuff, eat the great burgers and chicken filets but without bread and ask for vegetables instead of fries.
Good luck.
Cindy
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 10:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka

I see you're following Suzanne Sommers, so I'm pretty sure grapfruit juice is OK.

Not familiar with Sommersizing, but why drink juice, which generally has 10 times the carbs and calories of it's equivilant size in the fruit itself.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 10:09
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by tamarian
....why drink juice, which generally has 10 times the carbs and calories of it's equivilant size in the fruit itself.
My thought exactly. Half a medium-sized red grapefruit has approx. 11 carbs of which over 2g is fiber. Certainly can even be incorporated into a lower carb plan, such as PP, or the later stages of Atkins.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 10:32
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the information on grapefruit juice and such. I will try to stay away from it. It's not my favorite anyway.

Cheers
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 11:36

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

welcome techgirl! hope to hear more from you!