Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 10:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 112/10.5/103 Female 5feet
BF:
Progress:
Talking looking for others with 15lbs or less for support buddies to share experiences

Hi there... I am looking for fellow lc with just a few lbs to lose...to venture the long battle...since losing a small amount is pain stakingly slow so i have been told... but with a little help from some friends ,, I am sure we can make it...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/150/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Hey there, I am in the same boat as you. Funny enough I did have only 17 lbs. to lose, but for some reason the scales said I gained 3 lbs. today so now I am up to 20. I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I am feeling a little discouraged, although I am only on day 8. I would love to walk through this with you so we can be a support team. I am not ready to give up, but again I am having a bad day. Kourt
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:44

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi,
I don't understand this either but I wonder if this works for me. I have gained 2 pounds since starting induction yesterday I would eat differently but I have bad hypoglycemia so this is supposed to keep me steady. What are you eating in a day? yesterday i was around 1350 cals and 100 fat and about 95 protein. carbs were 18 net. I was so not hungry just dizzy and could not sleep last night. any insight??
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:59

BF:
Progress:

I was the same way on my first three days. I almost felt like I had fever and the sleeping was horrible, but that will be gone in the first three days. I did another posting and I just had someone reply and let me know that salt is not good at all, and I have been seasoning everything with that so I am sure that is what my problem has been. For you it might be that you gain a lb. or two the first few days, but if you are like most people it will start falling off somewhere around your 5th day. You should at least notice the fluid coming off. You will also find you have to go to the bathroom constantly. I don't worry about anything like cals, fat,etc. I just count my carbs, I don't need anything else to constantly think about.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:22

BF:
Progress:

Thank You for replying... Its been 3 weeks for me and no lbs lost yet...
However I have been flying for 6 days and maybe its water retention... this happens with the job...yuck.. so in a few days I should know after i have been on the ground for a few days... so here is hoping... I have increased my exercise and insure I am getting enough water... also I read in the book chromium and L-carintine is suppose to help burn fat?? so I am off to the store for those supplimnents maybe they will help..?? I too only count Carbs... I would probably have a heart attack since I had the mentality of a low fat/ Cal eater for a long time ... if I counted the fat and cal's well I would probably flip... so its probably best I don't know...
lets keep in touch...any break throughs pass them on...
Oh I no longer suffer from headaches or cravings ..matter of fact I am no even hungry really... I eat because I know i should...weird... and the energy level is great ... and i made the big switch from Caffinine to DECAF!!
talk soon
Paully
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:35

BF:
Progress:

Hi Kay..

Well I am not sure of cal count... but I usually eat 2 eggs for breakfast with couple slices of bacon... if on the road..just eggs because I have to pack a lunch.
for lunch usually either a salad, tunamelt no bread of course , yess with mayo and cerlery pieces.. or if on the road... lunch meat rollups with a small slice of cheese in the centre , some celery with or without cream cheese.. maybe some cucmber slices...

snack some olives... maybe an atkins bar 2g carb... depends on how hungry andhow long til I get some wear for dinner... or if at home.. I have fish and salad or chicken or beef or elk, or shell fish usually crab... ( thats) treat night..mmmbutter... my salad is usually ceasar or greek... maybe if I am having a long day... I will endulge with atkins peanut butter cups 1 pak is 2gcarb...but
I usually eat only one pak spread out through out the day... and of course my decaf coffee and tons of water... hope this helps
paully
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:43

Stats: 137/133/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi-
I'd like to be part of this group. I've been doing low carb since July and have lost only 1.5 pounds. I exercise on a regular basis-I exercised prior to Atkins too. Anyway, my clothes fit me better. It is a psycholocal thing. I want to weigh 125. Thus, I'll just keep at it. Angie
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:57

BF:
Progress:

We need some kind of an expert for all of us to talk to because, we should be losing more. Angie, you for sure should have lost more. Maybe, it doesn't work for some people, but I am going to be soooo sad if I fall into that catagory. It works amazingly for some. I have a friend who started it three months ago, and lost the 20lbs. she wanted to lose in 6 weeks, and now has kept it off. She even eats french fries and things of that nature on the weekend. What to do!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 13:55

Stats: 150/145.5/128 Female 5' 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Default On Atkins 3 1/2 weeks

Hi All,

I have been on Atkins for 3 1/2 weeks. I have lost 4 lbs. I have found that I need to stay away from the scale. It is very discouraging for me. One day I am down and the next I am up a pound. I have a friend that has been very successful on the diet and she said it takes a good 5-6 weeks to see good results. She also went up and down on the scale. I am trying to be very patient. I have to admit I lost quicker on Atkins then on Weight Watchers and I am not hungry like I use to be. I don't have a problem sticking to it I just want to see quicker results but I am not going to get discouraged. I am thankful I found this site and knowing I have other supporters to help me. Thank you!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 18:13

Stats: 120.5/120.5/105 Female 4 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress:
Red face Just 15 to lose too

Hi to all of you! I just started on Monday and have decided to only weigh myself once a week. I lost weight before with weightwatchers and the once a week weigh in was better than every day.
The thing that worries me is the calories. I have been keeping a food journal on FitDay and seem to be eating alot more calories than usual.
I am full and under carbs. I guess I will find out on Monday.
I hope to see results during the 2 weeks or it will be discouraged.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 22:29

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hello,
today was better but if you look at my post you will see the well intentioned dumb thing i did with a potato. I am still counting tomorrow as day 3 though because i was at 21 net today. I do salt a lot and actually forgot somethings on fitday so it was more like 1600. today i started to feel better so i am glad to know this is withdrawal and that it should get better. also this might help. protein power says to not exercise for the first week until yuor body switches over. i think they are onto something. i will try that. anyway, WE CAN DO THIS!! thanks for all the tips!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 08:18

Stats: 137/133/125 Female 5'6
BF:

Hi-
You mentioned that you have friend(s) that lost 20 pounds on Atkins. How overweight were they? I've read that losing the last 10 is a killer. Plus, I started wanting to lose 10 pounds. If a person is very overweight, he/she loses weight quickly. I know, I feel that I should have lost more weight. However, for a long time I was eating Atkins bars and products. Then several weeks ago I stopped and am now in ketosis , according to stick. However, we went on vacation for a week and I went out of ketosis. Now, I'm sick and have not been exercising. I'm still in ketosis. Hopefully, I'll start exercising again very soon. As for my weight, I'm more concerned about size. I could stay this weight and lose inches and be very happy. I'm thinking being in ketosis is the most important thing. I'll give it till January and see what I weigh and my size. Angie
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 08:29
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:

Hi everyone! Stick with it and it WILL work I started September 11, and I lost 17 pounds in 2 months. I have 4 left to reach goal.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:09

Plan: no specific one
Stats: 162/149/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress:

I am new to this board but not this way of eating. I fall into the catagory of dealing with an extra 15 to 20 pounds. I have used low carb eating to bring my weight down a number of times and find it works well for a period of time.

It is curious that some are not experiencing the typical initial weight loss from water in the first few days. Atkins talks about resistant dieters in his book and gives a plan to follow. It is very strict and not something I would do, too restrictive.

I have also read about this problem in other places and a calorie counting diet is recomended. If 3 weeks have passed and you are not losing weight move to a 1000 to 1200 cal a day diet for a few days and see if that works. Many will tell you that 1000 is too low. I am not that big so that works for me. Another trick is to eat carbs without protein and comsume them within one hours time. Any carbs you want...bread, pasta whatever. Atkins mentions this too in only one sentence burried with other info. I always wondered why he did not give this more weight. It can jog you back into the mode.

This diet is not for everyone but usually works quickly on most.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 12:58

BF:
Progress:

Angie, I wanted to let you know that the friend I was speaking of weighed 157 and got to 137 in 6 weeks. I just wonder if it just simply doesn't work on some people. I too am going to give it to the first of the year.