Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%
Talking Any West Island/off island Montrealers?

Hi! Anyone west island or off island in Montreal (Vaudreuil-Soulange) out there interested in getting together for a support group? I was thinking although it's nice to have this board, it'd be neat to have a "meeting" like WW, but with low-carb focus.. and no cost.. grin! Support is SO important!!

Anyone?
Blessings!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 10:48

Stats: 210/210/160 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I used to live in Hudson...which is not all that far from you. But, moved to BC about 5 years ago and now live in Kelowna. I love it here although I do miss Hudson quite a bit. I haven't been out there for 4 years. I'll be visiting next year when my brother gets married.

I hope you find other off-islanders to form your support group. You're right...support is very important. Looks like you're doing great so far. Keep it up.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:42

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 168/163/128 Female 5'1.5''
BF:44%/44%/22-28%
Progress: 13%

Hello Shaerat,

I live just north of Montreal and wouldn’t mind taking the highway (or the train) to meet some other low carbers from the same region. Until we form a group, we can still exchange tips on this forum. Did you find those famous “pork rinds” that everyone talks about, in any store in our area?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 16:28

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Actually I did find some pork rinds in a small store in Montreal. It was in "La vieille Europe in the Plaza Alexis Nihon shopping center. Funny because after having bought it I never actually could bring myself to eat it <laugh>

They ended up in the garbage eventually
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 17:03

Thank you Angeline, I will check it out as soon as I can. I want the pork rinds to try the waffle-French toast-pancake recipes. The thought of never having those again in my life was disturbing me. Now, I can at least try the low carbs versions.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 17:26

Plan: Atkins May 10 2003
Stats: 135/120/120 Female 5 Feet 5 Inchs
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi everyone....I am also North of Montreal.....So happy your all here.....I have been buying my pork rinds at Zellers....I know for sure at Zellers in Deux Montages they always have some...Its been awhile since I bought some because the last time I did, I bought like 25 bags, came home and crushed then all and froze them in a container....This way I always have some ready to use....I think they were about a dollar a bag.....I also found some atkin products on St Jean Blvd at the Health Tree...I use to buy my atkin bars there before Loblaws started to shelve them....I still go to the Health Tree for atkins maple syrup and the atkins baking mix.......Julie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 17:42

Thank you Julie, I live in Deux-Montagnes so it will be very convenient for me to buy my stuff here! In witch aisle do you find the famous pork rinds? What are the recipes your are doing with those? I need to take a look at the Health Tree too. Thanks again!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 10:43

BF:

Hi CalicoCat...

The last time I bought the pork rinds,
they were in one of the aisles on your left,
as you walk in by the front door......I had to really look because the BBQ ones where everywhere but not the plain....Finally I found them way on the top shelve...The sales clerk told me she didn't even know they were there....

Here is one of the recipes I make with them....

Southern Fried Chicken

Please make sure your oil is HOT before putting the chicken in the pan otherwise the coating will stick to the bottom of the pan!

4 fryer chickens
3-4 cups pork rind flour mixed with parm. cheese
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder or garlic salt (your preference, I find the pork rind flour provides plenty of salt)

blend well in baggy

Wash chicken(don't dry), put in baggy (gal size) and shake until well coated. Cook in peanut oil (enough to cover 1/2 of chicken pieces in pan) on medium heat, turning to evenly brown. Cover and cook 1/2 hour. Put in roaster with lid and cook in oven at 325 degrees for one hour.

(In other words,after you've browned it on all sides in the fry pan (BTW, I use cast iron, famous for making the best SFC) cover and cook for 1/2 hour and THEN put in the oven and cover for 1 hour.)

This is an incredibly moist and sweet chicken!

Another idea is to coat the chicken in mustard before coating them with the p-cheese and p-rinds....I haven't tried this yet but I will.....

Let me know if you find them.....

Julie
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 06:22

Hi Julie, I found them at Zellers, with the chips. I can’t wait to try all those yummy recipes.

Thanks for the southern fried chicken recipe, my husband was a big fan of shake and bake so I will try it soon.

The only mistake I did was to taste one pork rind by itself. I thought it would taste like some “oreilles de crisses”, well maybe a little but what an after taste! I tried brushing my teeth, using mouthwash, nothing worked; I still had that awful after taste for hours! Now I know…
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:48

BF:

Hi CalicoCat......Happy you found them and they still have some....I am starting to run low on my stock.....I thought they would taste like “oreilles de crisses” too...What a shock.....They are bad...Julie
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 09:11

I went to the Health Tree on St-Jean Blvd yesterday. I was looking for some syrup to spread on the waffles
In the super markets, I can find some syrup reduced in sugar but they still contain concentrated grape juice. Their carb count is OK for 3 tablespoons but I know myself, I will probably pour about half a cup on my waffles! So I was looking for something near 0 carb.
The only flavour they had at the Health Tree was raspberry. I took it; it can always come handy in a drink (white wine), home made ice cream, or in a slush… I can’t wait for next summer! I also bought some muffin and bread mix.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 11:21

BF:

Your so lucky .... I am due to go to the Health Tree....I usually call them first to make sure they have some Atkins Maple Syrup.....I am almost finished mine....I do have some recipes for homemade maple syrup I will have to try ...... I am also due for some peanut butter.....I grin my own at the Health Tree....I always get he crunchy kind.....I did get some of the ED Smith sugar free syrup but like you, I don't trust myself....I found some low carb beer ... 2.3 carbs per bottle...I haven't tried it yet ... I can' t wait too....
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 11:14
Registered Member

Stats: 208/208/130 Female 5ft 4ins
BF:
Progress: 0%
Smile Hello Montreal!

Gee, it's nice to see other Montrealers on here (or close to, at least!)

When I first joined, I searched and didn't find anyone.
I fell off the wagon for about 6 months, but now I'm back with my New Year's resolution!

I just found Porkey's "pork puffs" at Zellers in Pincourt (I live in NDG but work in Ste-Anne-de-Bellevue). I think these are quite different from the pork rinds "oreilles de crisses" that Quebecers are used to. They are also carb free, and are easy to grind up for breading and such. One thing that is important, is to check the EXPIRY DATE!! I bought some that were past due, and they were rancid! eeek! Left a terrible taste in my mouth. That could explain why someone trying them for the first time might hate them (although they are not really great anyway... )

Did anyone get together yet? (Not sure if anyone is still here) You are right in that support is very important. My friends and boyfriend help me, but no one else follows this WOE. Hard sometimes...

Hope to hear from you!

Aria~
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 12:45

BF:

Welcome back Aria......Thanks for the tip about the expiry date on the pork rinds....I haven't met with anyone ..... I don't know if some other people have....I love this board....Take care....Julie
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-14-04, 13:02

Hi Aria, I am still low carbing and I haven’t met with anyone either.

Julie, congratulations on attaining your goal weight! You must be so proud of yourself!