Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 06:21
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Weights question

Just a quick question...

I have been advised to incorporate some weights into my exercise regime to help with weight loss and not necessarily to build muscle.

If i worked solely on my legs (for example), would the weight loss be localised to my legs/muscle area that i am working?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 07:04

Plan: Atkins & M/E
Stats: 225/216/140 Female 65
BF:31%/26%/25%
Progress: 11%

Sorry don't have an answer for you but I was just about to post a similar question so will be looking for answer here! Just about to buy an exercise bike.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:06

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default No

Weight LOSS, per se, always comes off evenly. What you will see is better tone because you are working any particular muscle, so it will LOOK LIKE you have lost weight in your legs, or butt, or where ever.

Some risk of injury if part of your body gets much stronger than other parts; generally a good idea to do a lifting routine that works all the major muscle groups. YMMV.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 16:23
Registered Member

Plan: Bodyopus - Varied
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 5'11"
BF:~8%
Progress: 20%

Actually, fat loss won't come off evenly. You have no control where the fat is going to come off at. It depends on where your stubborn areas are and most of that is genetical. It's different for everyone, although most males have it more in there lower abs and females tend to have it more in there thighs (generally speaking). It's really noticeable the leaner you get.

Incorporating the entire body with some weight bearing exercise will certainly speed up the process. The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest; that's why it is good to build muscle even when fat loss is the primary goal. It doesn't matter where the muscle is at. Just because you have a lot of muscle in one area doesn't necessarily mean fat mobilization increases in that area. That's why it is good to build muscle even when fat loss is the primary goal. Now, the leaner you get, the harder that will get, but that's another conversation.

HTH

Sporto
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 17:19

Plan: low carb & Atkins
Stats: 318/296/195 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 18%

you can not lose fat in targeted areas...
And the general rule is the fat that came on last will be the first to go. So, in my case, my dbl chin(s) was the first to come on, it'll be the last to come off (how depressing).. BUT, my gut is the last place I gained,a nd it was the first thing to go, so..
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 20:11

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Well, there is an arguement where you CAN target fat loss ... but that applies in a very strict environment.

As a general rule, fat will come off the way your body wants it to. Everyone loses in a manner unique to themselves.

Areas higher in certain receptor sites are more prone to be stubborn. Diet is a major portion of it. Weight training and cardio will speed the process along.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 46%

Very helpful indeed, thanks people
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: Bodyopus - Varied
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 5'11"
BF:~8%
Progress: 20%

Absolutely right Trainerdan, I wasn't sure how technical of an answer they wanted

Have you ever experienced with any of the topical creams with Yohimbe like Absolved/Fl7/etc..?

Sporto
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 07:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveah
Just a quick question...

I have been advised to incorporate some weights into my exercise regime to help with weight loss and not necessarily to build muscle.

?

You realize that building muscle is the best thing you can do to burn fat (even when you aren't working out), right? I have found that the more muscle I build, the thinner I get. It rules! Totally give the lifting a try....