Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:26

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%
Thumbs up Good Blessings - Bad timing

I've been working so hard towards losing weight. This is my first "real diet" as I used to be able to lose weight with just exercise. I actually cried the first time I wrote in my journal. My SIL had been so nasty to me and gave me the Atkins book and just said "you need to diet". Well that was the last straw and my rock bottom. In some sick way, I should thank her.

I got married in June (at my all time high weight) and have been making very good progress since July 31 (the day I started induction).

I've been sick the last few weeks, nausea, vomiting etc. I was starting to think my LC lifestyle was turning on me. Until I looked at the calendar and noticed I was REALLY late for my TOM.

Got my blood tested today, and yep, I'm pregnant. My first. But it feels so soon after I got married, and in some strange way I am very upset because I have worked so hard to lose weight.

Here's the interesting/good part. My doc is LC friendly. He did tell me it was dangerous to be on a completely restrictive LC diet, but encouraged to keep doing what I am doing, but eat enough fruit and have maybe a glass of milk to stay out of ketosis.

I dunno what to do. One side of me thinks that by eating a high fat diet and NOT being in ketosis will make me gain weight faster. I do eat a lot of veggies, and salads now so I think I will be ok.

MY DH is thrilled beyond words. I am happy to be starting a family but just feel like this will be another year of the weight battle.

UGH! I think I need to be more educated on pregnancy and being a parent, so my time will be minimum here. I know its early (6 weeks) to talk about it, but I did make a committment for one year to TDC. I guess I'll just check in from time to time and make my goal NOT to weigh more after 9 months than when I started here.

I guess I'll also post this in my journal so my few lc buddies are up to date too....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I don't know much about how to advise you on this subject...

...but I certainly want to wish you all the best!

There have been several other members who have had babies and stayed active in the forum throughout the process. I hope word will spread and they will show up here or in your journal to offer advice.

Congratualtions to you all!

Donald

Last edited by DWRolfe : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 11:34.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:56
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

1st: congratulations on (my personal opinion follows) the GREATEST ride in the park! I have just been blessed with my 1st grandchild and wish I had a dozen...for starters!
May God bless you and yours!

Last edited by MisterE : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 12:50.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 12:30
Registered Member

Stats: 160/134/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Congratulations to you and your husband. I wish you all the good things motherhood brings to a couple! I had a good friend a few years backfind herself in EXACTLY the same predicament as you are in. What she did was find a GREAT nutritionist and following the expert advice, she found that with careful management, she could have it all- future weight loss, and a healthly baby. With careful diet management, she was able to adjust the combined dietary needs of both mom and baby and came out of pregnancy better off than when she started. I have seen it happen, best wishes to you and your baby! Get good advice and don't give up!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 12:49

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

Congrats!!!...A baby on the way is a true blessing....
Like the others have said...just keep an eye on what you eat..and I think you will be suprised that with the LC knowledge you might not gain as much as you think. Get some true nuritional advise from a nutritionist. Let her know your concerns..and take it from there....

Good luck with your pregnancy...
BTW...I was 245 when I got pregnant the second time and I never knew about LCing...I lost wieght the whole pregnancy...and gave birth at 221. to a healthy 8lb baby....
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:14

Plan: My Own
Stats: 248.5/228.4/150 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Some where here I read that if you were pregnant that you should follow maintenace LC. Has more to eat. But the best advice was already mentioned, talk to a good nutrionist that knows what is what.

Congratulations to you and your hubby.

Windy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:46

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on the new baby!!!

IMHO, this is a GREAT time to be doing a lot of what the LC basics are about - no white flour, no refined carbohydrates, LOTS of protein.

Of course, upping the carbs means cutting back on the fat a bit - and you will probably want to, anyway.

If this helps you any - I actually LOST weight when I was pregnant (both times!) and I did not intend to. It just happened - my metabolism was different, I guess.

Have your calcium, have your protein, have a healthy baby. Take your prenatal vitamins - the folic acid is critical!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 14:28
Wombat Ashramite

Stats: 00/00/00 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Congratulations on the pregnancy!

I know the terror you're feeling right now in regard to your weight, because when I got pregnant I weighed 241. I was terrified that I would gain 80 pounds and end up over 300 pounds after I gave birth. But, interestingly, I weighed 230 on the day after I gave birth. Like Deanne, I lost weight while pregnant. I did some reading and learned that many obese mothers don't have the tremendous weight gain that their HWP counterparts do. Probably because our bodies already have the fat we need for breastfeeding, so we don't have to add it.

I can't stress enough that this is not a time to be on a weight-loss diet. Your baby needs nourishment and so do you. Proper nutrition is a wonderful gift you can give your child for life and it's very important. People born in the fall and winter months actually have a longer life-span than people born in the summer, possibly because of the abundance of fresh produce available to mothers who are pregnant in the summer. I know that I craved fruit like crazy when I was pregnant. Also, the baby takes ALOT of nutrition away from you, so you need to be careful to get enough food for both you and your baby. Having a baby is probably one of the most demanding things you could ever do with your body.

Along with the prenatal vitamins, you should take an Essential Fatty Acid supplement, because the baby depletes your stores of DHA while pregnant and you need to keep them replenished so that your levels will stay high enough that you won't get post-partum depression. It will help with energy levels, too. If you plan to breast-feed, having high DHA levels in your breast milk will help your baby's sleep-patterns and brain development (breastfed children outperform bottlefed children in IQ tests by an average of like six points, which is why they now add DHA to formula).

For the last half of my pregnancy, I followed The Best Odds Diet from What to Expect When You're Expecting. It doesn't restrict any foods, but asks you to get at least the required nutrients from the categories it lists (One category is Dairy, another is Iron-rich Foods, for example). I found that I was eating so much nutritious (and low glycemic index food) that I didn't have much room for junk, although I managed to eat some occasionally Those cravings can be killer!

Atkins does address this issue on his website. He suggest staying on Maintainence levels of carbs.Here's an article by a member of his staff who stayed on Lifetime Maintainence while pregnant:

http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/10/25-756904.html

Good luck to you and don't forget to enjoy this time with your husband. It's the last time it will be just the two of you.

Dig
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 15:38

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Congratulations. You've been getting wonderful advice.
I was going to say, many moms I know claimed breastfeeding helped them lose pregnancy weight,and it's so good for both baby & mom.
I know there are other moms to be that can give you more specific advice, but remember: so many things in life happen without planning. But it turns out to be good timing after all.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 17:08

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Congratulations on the wonderful news!!!! I'm planning on TTC after the new year and I share a lot of your concerns about this WOL and it's compatibility w/pregnancy. I just hope I can find that balance of carbs that will be healthy for me & baby. Guess it'll work itself out in the end for both of us.

I wonder if there is a thread or forum here for pregnant LCers?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 18:20

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
.....many moms I know claimed breastfeeding helped them lose pregnancy weight,and it's so good for both baby & mom.

Okay, this MIGHT have been true for a normal person but for myself I managed to cruise right along by eating every time the baby ate!!! Oh the times I held a suckling infant while prowling the refrigerator at two o'clock in the morning. Its kind of funny but mostly NOT.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 18:38

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

I never lost any weight breast feeding either, even though I didn't eat every time my son did. In fact, I know several people who gained more weight after their babies were born than they did during their pregnancies. It's that nesting syndrome.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 19:50

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

Just wanted to say congrats on the new baby to come. You have gotten excellent advice so far. Remember now is the most important time in the development of your baby. You will have your whole life to lose the weight but only one shot at getting the baby's development right.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 06:49

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

Thanks to everyone for your advice and encouragement. :-)

I'm going to get an appointment with a nutritionist as soon as possible.

Thanks again, and wow what an unexpected turn of events. My life seems to be moving so quickly!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 07:54

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

Congrats on the new baby! Everyone has already given the best advice I could think of, so Good Luck to you! Keep us updated!