Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 08:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Question Life after induction...

Okay, I'm a bit over two months in, and I haven't increased my carbs much past the induction level. I have added a bit of low carb ice cream, and maybe a touch more salad, but I'm more or less at less than 30 every day, and some days in the 20 range.

I have liked the weight loss, being down 29 in a bit over two months, and it's been easy to stay on. Is there any reason to increase carbs as long as I am feeling good and am satisfied with what I'm eating?

Last edited by kyrasdad : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 10:23.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:24

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default oops

That title should have read life after induction. Sorry.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:25
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi.

I'm a tad confused - your stats say you're 23% to your goal, so... did you forget to change them, or did you not mean maintenance? "Maintenance" refers to being at your goal weight and staying there.

...but to answer your question, it's perfectly safe to stay at around 30 g for ongoing weight loss (OWL), as long as you're having a good variety and you're still losing. It's a good idea to spend those carbs on veggies, low carb fruit, and nuts... not just the ice cream.

(edit) I just read your second post.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 10:26.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:37

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, you've done very well

Many will stay on induction for longer periods of time depending on how much weight they need/want to lose. AS well some have to move on to more carbs if they become bored with the choices, so when that is the case, it's a good idea to add in more by following the suggestions in the book, not by adding s/f treats
So really, it's up to you how long you stay on Induction, however, I'm a firm beleiver in that once you do move on to OWL, it should be when you still have some weight to lose. That way by the time you get to Maintenance, you have incroporated many more foods and your system will have adjusted to them. And the bonus is you can live so much easier on maintanance

There is a interesting thread titled Maintenace, from the main page, some of us talk about the importance of adding more carbs on OWL.

Cheers Kathy
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:42

Stats: 260/245/150 Female 5'8"
BF:A Little LESS!
Progress: 14%

I am at about the same % lost as you are. I stay around 25-30 carbs daily.
I feel good at this level and I find I'm less bored.
I haven't tried the low-carb ice creams, simply because I know i wouldn't stop at one serving. What I do once in a while is to freeze about 1/2 cup of the chocolate-flavored whipped cream in a can. I count it as a few carbs, and it tastes just like a yummy fudgesicle. And the extra salads and veggies are great too! I feel a lot less restricted than I was on Induction, but still fairly regimented.
Works well for me right now. If my weight loss slows, or stops, I will make changes.
Good luck to you!
Lesle
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:28

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I have stayed at just slightly higher than Induction levels for a loooooooooooong time. For me, I only continue to lose weight if I stay at around 30-35 carbs per day. I can eat a lot more than that to maintain my weight.

In DANDR, they suggest introducing more carbs while also checking your weight closely. By doing so, you can establish the ceiling for your carb intake. Stay at or below it and you continue to lose. Go above it and the losing stops.

I don't think there is harm in staying at Induction levels longer. Just keep eating your veggies and stick with real foods--not LC shakes and bars for added carbs.

Donald