Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 03:14

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Protein Power Pals - Monday - Nov 10

Welcome to the daily support thread for Protein Power.

I had a wonderful, but tiring, weekend. I have very sore arms and shoulders from having an MRI of my heart and left side (lying very still in a strange postion for two hours) Will likely not have the results for several days.

I hiked some yesterday - not exactly according to docs orders, but I had held out as long as I could. The weather has been beautiful and I miss the forest trails - walking in town just isn't the same - not even close.

As for my WOE - I have been trying to stay on plan with all the eating out and erratic schedules of late. It has been the end of the football season for middle and high school kids (several of my grandkids were in the playoffs) and my step-daughter has been in a number of musical / theatrical productions lately. I have done fairly well with the WOE - higher in calories than I like, but mostly getting close to the right amount of protein and carbs. Nutrition could be better - not enough quality veggies (lots of iceberg lettuce lately) and some trans-fats (fake butter and salad dressings at restuarants). Need to get back to posting my menus - likely in the journal area. I haven't had time to start one yet.

This week should be less hectic (at least until next weekend - more on that later) and I'm going to try to get a viable plan for my new eating in place - I have eliminated egg yolks and beef from my diet altogether now and my BP is slowly, but surely falling. I am one of the rare birds that actually experienced a significantly worsened lipid profile after being on an LC WOE. The Eades recommend these dietary changes to remedy that so I am giving it at least a 3 month trial.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 06:06

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Looks like the active Orang we know and love is back! So glad you're able to get back to your beloved hiking. City "hiking" is definitely not the same as country hiking.

In yesterday's post you mentioned surgery? Is this to remove the scar tissue causing the pressure? When do you go in?

Re: Robin and being on the "right" plan. In another post in this forum regarding differences between Atkins and PP, I said that people with a lot of weight to lose do better on Atkins, whereas if you only have a little to lose, PP seems to be better because of the lower fat recommendation. She took that to mean that if you have a lot of weight to lose, you should start with Atkins. That's why she asked if she was on the right plan. I tried to explain myself better, and assured her that she will do fine on PP.

I'm back up a couple pounds this morning, but feel thinner so I know it's just water from the wheaty carbs I've been indulging in over the past couple days. That's done now, so I should be back to 165 again in a couple days. No worries!

I'm in the office today, so I might not get another chance to post until tonight.

(You know, I kinda miss the daily inspiration quote at the beginning of each day. I'll have to make a habit of opening that post first. Or maybe I'll print it and post it on my wall at home and at work.)

See ya!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 06:22

BF:

Bawdy,

The MRI was to determine if the scar tissue is actually attached to my aorta and heart or simply lying next to it. What type of surgery will be done will be determined by this. Removing loose tissue would be a bandaid surgery - if there is a great deal of adhesion and it is more than surface adhesion, the docs will likely opt to use a by-pass procedure rather than risk damage to arterial wall / heart muscle by attempting removal. So y'all be praying I've got loose tissue - the bandaid surgery would be relatively minor out-patient surgery. The by-pass procedure would be the same one that those with more traditional types of blockages have.

Last edited by Orang : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 06:25.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 07:12

Plan: PP
Stats: 264/255.2/180 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 10%

Good morning to all our chicken drumstick people (Orang now has 2!)

Pampering a sore throat today, my sinuses are doing their autumn draining thing. Not enough to keep me home but enough to bother me.
I am on plan for the last 3 days, but not weighing myself until the end of this week. I decided that I fluctuate so much with water weight that it is pointless to measure anything. I'll know when my clothes fit me that I'm losing either pounds or inches or both.

Orang, you went hiking! It was cold here in PA this weekend, I did some 'hiking' thru Philly to get to my haircut appt, haha. It was so windy and only in the forties. It was 20 degrees when I got up this AM!!

OK, gotta go do the work thing, will check in later.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 09:33

BF:

I have two drumsticks - I have two drumsticks !!!!
Click here to see me with my new drumsticks
and I'm a senior member too - guess that would explain the senior moments I'm known to have...

Elaine - hope you get to feeling better.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:13
Registered Member

Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%
Progress: 93%

Hi all,
Renee, so great that you were able to be out hiking yesterday. It was a lovely day here, although cold. Today is sunny too, although it sounds like this will be the last day of the sunshine. And I will be praying about the loose tissue issue (sheesh, what a rhyme!)
I don't have a lot of time as it's almost time to start preparing dinner. I just wanted to report that I have now lost 50 lb. Stepped on the scale yesterday and saw the magic 136 lb. Didn't believe it. Got back off, checked that the needle was on zero and tried again. So you can bet I was doing a happy dance in the bathroom.
That brings me to my question of the day. I have decided that when I'm down to only 10 lb above goal (which is just a pound from now) I am going to increase my carbs to transition level (ie 55 gm.). Now I've gone through both PP and PPLP and cannot find where they say how to do this. I assume it should be done gradually, not in one jump. I think I'm around 40 gm./day currently although I don't really keep track, but I'd think that would be fairly close. The only thing I measure right now is fruit. So would you think increasing them 5 gm/day for a week and then increasing them another 5 gm/day like we did on Atkins to increase our carb level would be the way to go? Someone on PP on another LC board I'm on asked this same question a couple of weeks ago. Except the other board is almost entirely Atkins people so no one really had an accurate answer.
Wendy, I've found that the last couple of months on LC, I NEED less sleep. This morning I think I was wide awake an hour before the alarm went off at 5:30. Probably got to sleep around 10:30. This is weird for me as I normally need a fair bit of sleep to feel well and today I feel great.
Anyway gotta run and get some food together.
Marjorie
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 10:21

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh our Orang is back!!! You sure know how to put a smile on our faces! HA congrats on the 2 drumsticks, I better get to posting more if I am ever going to see one on mine!
It sounds like your family is keeping you pretty busy, kids do that, but what a fun distraction! Good for you on the hiking, like BW said, city hiking is not the same, the air quality along with the view sure beats it too! You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers!

Bw,Hope your day in the office goes fast!

Elaine, did you have fun with the friend that you were meeting?? Hope your sinuses gets better, I am worse when the air is dry,the headaches can sure sneak up on you, (I should buy some stock in tylonal sinus!)

Well I need to get to going to, it has warmed up here to a balmy 45* the snow is starting to go off so no more chopping the water tanks open for a little while!Our calves are getting usto us, it is so cute how they come arunning when you call!

Hello to everyone else! I will try to write more later!

Hello Marnie!! WTG!!!! YOU are now the official shrinking women!!

Your son will not belive his eyes when he sees you!!! When you see someone everyday it is not as dramatic, but WOW! WE are proud of you!!!!

Last edited by Lissette : Mon, Nov-10-03 at 10:30.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 11:23

BF:

Orang, I was eating lunch when I clicked on your chicken picture (hey -- think we can call it "Chicken ala Orang" -- get it?) and I almost choked on what was in my mouth! HILARIOUS!

And a big WHOOP-DI-DOO to Marnie!

Actually, there is some info in PP about transitioning. I don't have the book here, but I'll look it up when I get home. They go into great detail on how to do it. Don't feel bad. I read those darn books probably a dozen times each before noticing this.

Catch you all later!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 14:18

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 166.5/146.5/145 Female 67 in.
BF:23.21%

Hey, Don't have time to read everyone's posts, but a quick update. First of all, another 0.5 lb fell off in my sleep last night. I woke up at 152! This is getting ridiculous. I keep thinking I am going to wake up and it was all a dream. But I wore a new shirt today that hasn't fit all year, and I wore the smallest pair of pants I own once last week. Also, last night that guy from school came over and we watched a movie together. Today we are going rollerblading again. That's where I am off to now. That's hanging out with him 5 times in the last 8 days!
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 14:42

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

WENDY:

Need I say more????
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 16:58

BF:

Marjorie, here's what it says about transitioning to maintenance in PP (pages 183 - 187) -- highlights only. These are all quotations, or theres-abouts.

You should transition to maintenance when you are within 5% of your ideal body weight. You're probably there (but I haven't checked your stats).

The next several weeks are the most important of the entire regimen, so take great care to follow the guidelines strictly. For some time your body has been in a controlled slide, a state of corrective momentum. It's now time to gently slow and then stop the momentum of those changes and equilibrate and stabilize at your new leaner, healthier level.

You will accomplish this by gradually increasing your per-meal carb level until you reach a daily total carb gram intake roughly equal to or slightly more than your daily protein intake.

It's important that you make this transition to maintenance slowly and methodically. Moving in one big leap from the controlled carb level . . . to your maintenance level will stimulate a sudden big release of insulin with all the attendant potential for adverse consequences.

Guidelines: If weight reduction was part of your goal, slowly increase your DAILY carb intake by 10 grams. Stay at each new level for 5 to 7 days until you stop losing weight. If you start to gain, drop down again. When you have stabilized (not gaining or losing), stay at that level for 2 months to allow your fat cell activity to stabilize. Then slowly -- in 10-gram jumps followed each time by a 5 to 7 day stabilization period -- continue to increase your daily carb intake. Weight youself at the end of each stabilization period, and when you see your first gain, drop back to the last carb intake level at which your weight remained stable AND STAY THERE.

Gotta run! I'll try to stop by again tonight. If not, see you tomorrow morning!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 17:20
Registered Member

Stats: 186/129/125 Female 5'4"
BF:30.5%

Me again,
We're all excited for you Wendy. And the weight loss too!! WOW.
Thanks Kathy for the lookup. Actually I did find that part but thought it was describing the transition to maintenance. I'm looking for the change from stage 1 to stage 2. You know, up to 55 gm. of carb a day. You can move there when you're only 20% above your goal weight, but I decided to stay at the lower level. But now I think it's about time to move up. But not to maintenance yet.
And thanks everyone for cheering me on. I think I went around yesterday with this silly grin on my face. Think what it will be like when I reach goal.
Wendy, I know exactly what you mean about thinking it's all a dream. I do this all the time. I'm sure I'm really dreaming and I'm going to wake up 50 lb. heavier.
Marjorie