Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 14:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 148/134/122 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 54%
Smile My hubby

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=DarkRed]HI everyone. A few weeks ago I decided that I was going to do Atkins and I was going to be very strict. No cheats. I stopped eating potatoes but continued to cook them for hubby. I also stopped eating hashbrowns on the weekends but we still made them for hubby. A couple weeks ago he told me to stop buying potatoes and hashbrowns for him and he would eat whatever I did. Yippee! I was so happy.
Same with potato chips. He told me not to buy them for him anymore. He used to love to eat them at night in front of the TV. He hasn't had any chips and they are his favorite. He stepped on the scale last night and he has lost 14 pounds so far. I'm so proud of him. He's not totally low carb because he still has sandwiches at lunch but it's a start and it sure makes things easier for me when we can sit down and eat the same food for dinners. I'm so happy!

Laurie
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 14:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 284/227/170 Male 72 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 50%

yes it really helps to have your SO do this WOE with you. It sure does me. I started 2 weeks before my GF and it was hard to watch her eat french fries and know I couldn't have any. It also shows your hubby loves you, cause he is willing to change, even though you may not have asked him to happy for you!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 17:31

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/196/160
BF:
Progress: 45%

Thats so great Laurie!!

I bet he's thrilled too!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 18:14

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

It sounds like he's doing great too. I'm so happy for both of you.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 07:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

I did this by myself for a while. Now my wife and daughter are doing it too. It much much easier. By keeping them on track I dont even need to think about myself loosing.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:00
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

That's super Laurie! How wonderful that your hubby is LCing too!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 00:34

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

How wonderful for you. Would love to have that kind of support. I've been LC'ing pretty much for 4 years and I almost dread having to cook for family. They will not eat LC and don't want to have strictly meat & potatoes, or meat & rice etc... every day. They want the old things I used to make (like carb laden caseroles and lasagna and will not eat LC versions). You are VERY Blessed. Karen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 18:09

Stats: 320/224/175 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 66%

I am very lucky too... my daughter and our roommate are on Atkins with me, so I don't have to worry about cooking more than one meal. We're lucky to have each other for support and encouragement.

~Debbie~LoveSong~

#9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 13:38
Registered Member

Stats: 188/155/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 69%

A couple of years ago, both my DH and I were pretty big. We went on Weight Watchers on-line together, with me doing almost all the cooking. He did great, I did OK. Now I am still battling it with LC'ing, he has maintained and lost more. It's kind of unfair that a 6' man only has to cut back on beer consumption to keep weight off! But several nights a week, he and DD eat what I eat, a large salad with meat. Sometimes when I fix a protein main dish with veggies, I will fix a small side of pasta or potatoes for them. DH is now skinny, DD is a very fit dancer. I'm not sure she even notices when she gets a LC dinner, no complaints. I've got to keep going to look like I belong in this family! Diana
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 13:48

Stats: 245/234/200
BF:don't care!!
Progress: 24%

My way of it? If they won't eat LC versions of things and they simply MUST have their old versions, let 'em cook! Once I told DH to do that, he ate what I made.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 09:17

Plan: General
Stats: 185/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:you kidding me?
Progress: 60%

I wish I could do that! I have three kids who are too skinny for me to feed them what I eat. I still have make potatos, mac/cheese, lasagne and corn on the cob etc. Oh, so hard sometimes!! I try to compromise by making LC main dishes and fixing them HC side dishes. Then I fix a veggie for me to have. It works pretty good
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 10:48

Plan: low carb for life
Stats: ???/???/??? Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I guess I can't do that either. One of my responsibilities in this family is to provide the meals. We eat as a family and try to use this time as part of our family time. I guess I do not want to make it a miserable experience for all. My husband works very very hard to provide for the rest of us and I do not have to work outside the home. I consider that a tremendous blessing. The least I could do is provide meals they enjoy. So very sorry I complained earlier. I guess I just needed to vent some frustration. Bottom line I don't want to cause discontent just so my life is easier. Our relationship thrives on give and take. Guess I'll give in this area. There, now I feel better. I've chastised myself and have my priorities back where I want them. Thanks, Karen
P.S. I know this absolutely would not be my mindset if I had to work outside the home.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:21

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

nm

Last edited by serrelind : Wed, Nov-12-03 at 11:23.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 11:21

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Laurie, reading that made me smile. That's great! Congrats to you both for your weight loss!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 12:52

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

Laurie-You are truly blessed to have a supportive family, and in the long run you have done yourself and them a great favour healthwise by low carbing.

SpecialK and others who prepare special meals for each family member: Now that you are low carbing and have realized how much more healthy it is (and how bad all that other stuff is), how can you watch your loved ones eating stuff that is bad for them?

My son eats what I prepare whether he is low-carbing or not (the only concession is bread-flax or sour rye-because it will do the least harm). Otherwise if he wants anything else, he has to buy the ingredients and cook them himself. He has elected to eat what I prepare. lol