Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 19:07

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/197/140 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question Huh?????

I have been back on induction for almost two weeks now and am seeing some results, so that is not what is so confusing. In the beginning of this I was showing ketosis on stix and had the ketobreath up until a few days ago. Then nothing. Well today I ended up having a(1) piece of bread (whole grains only 11carbs)and now have the breath and purple stix again. What gives? Anyone else notice this if they up their carbs a little??
I plan on going to OWL on Tuesday of next week and wondered if this will bring back the keto results I want. The main reason I want the breath is it is a constant reminder of what I am doing and I imagine it as "smelling the weight loss."
Sound crazy to you????
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 22:39

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Maybe your body dumped the ketones since it had an alternate fuel source i.e. the carbs ??
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-08-03, 03:56

BF:

I will give it that however, how does this whole ketone versus body fat deal work??
Isn't induction supposed to change this? Or some other change to the diet other than carbs?
I would really welcome some advice here.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 04:42

BF:

anyone else get this?
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 06:21
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

There are always different factors that effect the ketones reading on the sticks. Somethings even the sticks themselves can go bad very quickly. Some other factors for different reading is the amount of water you are taking in. How long you test after you have eaten, how much exercising you are getting. As time moves on you may notice naturally that even if you keep the carbs the same, ketosis breath gets better.

Basically, the strips are not the be all end all telling point of wether you are in ketosis your not. The best factor, according to Atkins himself. "If you are losing weight, you are in ketosis."

Do I still us the strips? Yes, but only once in a while. IF I am not moving on the scale I will test. I don't seem to worry about it if the stips still read ketones. When the scale is not moving, and sadly it does stop from time to time it is reassuring to have another source.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

A low reading on the sticks is still a reading. ANd when it is low I find my breath does not smell bad.

Perhaps you were still in ketosis (if you were still losing then that is most likely true) but you just didn't smell it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 13:38

BF:

Thanks all, I know I am just nit pickin, but I do love having that alligator breath just for reasurance. Of course, I am the only one around me that enjoys it.