Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:27

Plan: Atkins and South Beach
Stats: 138/138/110 Female 5'2 1/2"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Recipe for LC Bread

Optimize, I sure hope after you taste the bread you will post the recipe? Have you tried it yet? How are the other recipes?

Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimize
Great--I will be buying some Bettys lite as wels.
Anyone who is doing CAD--I assume this means you could have a slice or two at lunch to make a sandwhich.
Would you have to be at goal before using bread at all.
I have just brought a new low carb cookbook by the Eades. They have a reciepe for almost no carb bread. I am going to try it once I purchase the ingredients. Carbs Are 2.7 per slice--just a little less than Bettys.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 13:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/148/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default NET carb count

Know what you mean Bess. Those labels can be really confusing, and since they keep changing the regulations on how to report carbs on a label, it's really annoying as well. I'd suggest you go to http://atkins.com/Archive/2002/1/5-553235.html to have a look at what Atkins has to say about carbs on labels. There's a lot on his site about it actually, at www.atkins.com. Just do a search for any questions you have.
The Pralines 'n Cream bar, for example, is made up largely of sugar alcohols (the *ols like malitol, sorbitol, etc) which supposedly do not raise blood sugar in a substantial way. However, some people are more affected by sugar alcohols just like some people's blood sugars are more affected by aspartame than others. Same goes for glycerin. Of course, as I said, the more detailed explanations of these are on the Atkins website which says "We do use fiber and other carbohydrates, such as sugar alcohols, that have a minimal impact on blood sugar and thus fit the Atkins definition of a "non-digestible" or net carb. Atkins foods are also sweetened primarily with sucralose (SplendaTM brand), the only non-caloric sweetener derived from sugar, so it tastes just like sugar." So in the bar you have you can deduct not only the dietary fiber but the sugar alcohols and glycerin as well.
The problem, for me, is that nobody lists the AMOUNT of glycerin and sugar alcohols, so that unless they do as Atkins does and put the NET carbs on the label, it's impossible to determine how much there is. I know there is SOME in there based on the fact that they are on the ingredient list, and the order they come in the list lets me know if there's a little or a lot, but again that doesn't say much. For instance, very little aspartame goes a long long way so the TINY amount in sugar-free jello is what sweetens the whole package. I wish they would break down the amounts in the way they do for fiber so we could just deduct the entire amounts fromt he total carb count. I've taken to writing down new bars when I see them, looking them up online until I find the net carb count, then going back to buy them if they are suitable.
Anyway, sure hope this helps you Bess. Remember that Atkins doesn't recommend more than one of those bars per day though. Even if you are one of the fortunate who's blood sugar isn't highly affected, they can stimulate a craving for sweet things again, something we all know is best avoided ;-). But as a treat, I love them...along with those terriffic Peanut Butter Cups..those are just TOO good lol. Take care, best of luck.