Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 07:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/180/145 Female 5' 3
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default If I switch from Atkins to PP

Will I start losing weight? I started on Atkins on September 15th and have lost a grand total of 7 pounds. I had initially lost 11.5 but have gained back a few. The last three weeks I can't move the scale and have lost no inches either.

I don't care if my weight loss is slow but I'd like to see some weight loss!! I'm frustrated. I eat between 20-30 carbs a day. Some days my calorie intake may be a bit high...but not every day. When I do a FitDay report on whether I'm burning the calories I eat there are like 4 days out of this entire time I've gone over.

HELP!

Thanks
Kris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:08

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Kris - It is difficult to say that you would lose on one program better than the other. Could you post a few typical menus? It would help to see what you're eating. For me, I lost much better on PP than Atkins but everyone is different
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:18
Registered Member

BF:

Here is my FitDay journal. I do drink alcohol. I bowl a few nights a week and probably drink more beer then I should. Also I like my wine. People say that can be a staller. But I can't believe that's the entire problem if any. But I'm still keeping my carbs around 20 - 30 per day.

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=kristines
Thanks
Kris
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:19

Plan: Low-Cal - good carbs
Stats: 235/229/150 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Kris,

As Ellie said, no one program is right for everyone. I did not lose well on Atkins, but am losing slowly,but steadily on PP. I am having trouble getting FitDay to let me look - will try again.

Last edited by Orang : Fri, Nov-07-03 at 12:27.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:51

BF:

I would suggest trying the following things based on my own experience:

Substitute a higher protein / lower fat snack for the things like Macadamia nuts, cheese cake pudding and cream cheese part of the time

Might want to consider using Ranch Dressing instead of Blue Cheese some of the time also

Try mixing sour cream or french onion dip with mayo and using that instead of mayo in noncooked dishes - it cuts the fat and calories and I can't tell much difference in taste (actually, the dip / mayo combo is better in most recipes)
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:16
Registered Member

BF:

Orang,

Thanks for your response. I'm curious why you say to use Ranch instead of Blue Cheese. The Kraft dressing I use says it only has one carb for 2 tablespoons. I put that into FitDay as a custom food but I see that it's not quite right...I know the calories are off. FitDay isn't the most friendly when it comes to custom foods.

Also what would you suggest for high protein snacks? I have heard that nuts will stall and I have been thinking about cutting down on the other type snacks wondering if that is my problem.

Kris
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:20
Registered Member

BF:

I'm reposting this. Not sure what happened but some how my colors changed so I don't know what you all saw or not. I couldn't see my writing unless I highlighted it. Wierd

Orang,

Thanks for your response. I'm curious why you say to use Ranch instead of Blue Cheese. The Kraft dressing I use says it only has one carb for 2 tablespoons. I put that into FitDay as a custom food but I see that it's not quite right...I know the calories are off. FitDay isn't the most friendly when it comes to custom foods.

Also what would you suggest for high protein snacks? I have heard that nuts will stall and I have been thinking about cutting down on the other type snacks wondering if that is my problem.

Kris

#8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:56

BF:

While the Blue Cheese is low carb, it is also the highest fat dressing. Ranch is only slightly higher carb and is much lower fat.

As for high protein snacks:
lean deli style meats (especially ham) are great wrapped around a cheese stick. I have used the low-fat motzarella / cheddar sticks, but any hard cheese will do.

Cottage cheese - full fat - is another good high protein snack. It can be flavored using sweetners and various extracts or sugar-free syrups - and when whirled in the blender becomes a creamy base for many yummy snacks.

I use whey protein shake mix for quick snacks on the go.

As for nuts - they do stall some people and not others. If they don't stall you, almonds are highest in protein for carb / fat content.

I'm sure others here would be glad to tell you about their favorite high protein snacks. Feel free to drop in on the Protein Power Pals daily thread. We welcome everyone who is using are interested in the PP WOE or has questions such as yours. There are many different eating styles in the group so you're nearly sure to find someone who's taste in food is similar to your own.

Renee
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 14:24

Plan: Protein Power maintenance
Stats: 18/12/10 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress:

Kris - I looked over a few days of your fitday journals. First off I would like to point out that one of the primary differences between Atkins and PP is the believe that too much protein converts to gluclose. This is simply not true, if it were PP would not work for anyone. Our Rob is a perfect example of this
Here are a few suggestions:

Replace your salad dressings with lighter versions even if the carbs are slightly higher. I was using Paul Newmans Ceasar dressing at a whopping 150 calories per 2 TBS and I always used way more than 2 TBS! I poured out 3/4 of the oil and started buying the Lite dressings. Another good idea is to replace some of the salads with cooked veggies. I stopped counting carbs from veggies when I switched to PP. I eat as much as I want (except for starchy ones) and I use a teaspoon or two of butter for flavor. This will save you alot of fat and calories.

Replace your high fat snacks with things like lf string cheese, HB egg, 1-2 oz meat (chicken legs, ham, turkey), small serving of fruit (berries, melon, 1/2 apple), yogurt, cottage cheese, 1/2 Carbwise bar, etc.

Cut back on red meat and replace with chicken/fish when possible.

Hope this helps
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 14:19
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks to everyone who posted. I do like the Atkins diet, I have found many very yummy recipes. But I think I need to eat more protein and less fat. I can combine Atkins and PP and hope for the best I know I need to get rid of the macadamia nuts...wow the calories/fat!

If I read things right in the PP book and Atkins the difference between the two is Atkins says more fat and PP says more protein. Is that accurate?

Thanks again
Kris
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-17-03, 07:11

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 255/230/140 Female 5'6
BF:63%
Progress: 22%

I have not read Atkins - I have skimmed through it only. PP advocates moderate fat, adequate protein. Trust me, it is not a high-protein diet. My daily protein intake is 90 grams, which is the equivalent of 3 average sized chicken breasts (4 oz each). I don't know what Atkins advocates in terms of protein consumption.

Also, PP is basically Atkins w/o induction. They don't require that you are in ketosis at all time, though it is ok if you are. For most people, they will be on the cusp of Ketosis. Of all the low-carb plans out there, PP is the most similar to Atkins. It explains the science a bit more behind LCing.

The suggestions posted are good.......keep us posted on how you are doing

Robin