Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 21:31

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 265/245/198 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:
Default Sweet taste in mouth

I have a sweet taste in my mouth. It's mostly just annoying, although having any taste in my mouth when not eating feels weird and makes me wonder if my breath is foul...or more foul than usual. I'm on day 8 of a two week induction because I had a long binge during and after the Canadian thanksgiving (tisk tisk...but I can't refuse Mom's food... I'M WEAK, so very weak). The only thing I found about a sweet taste in the mouth anywhere else on the net was in relation to uncontrolled high blood sugar associated with diabetes. But, I'm under the impression that my blood sugar should be very low while in ketosis...right? Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone else experiences this or if anyone has an explanation for me.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 22:35
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/195 Female 5' 7
BF:28.5
Progress: 0%

Have you had any other symptoms besides the sweet taste in your mouth..light headiness, dizziness, or disorientation?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 00:10

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

This may be a dumb question, but are you having any sucralose or aspartame or other artificial sweeteners? I find that any more than a tiny amount gives me a sweet taste for a lot of the next day. Bill
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 10:07

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 265/245/198 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

I'm not having light headiness, dizziness, or disorientation. I am using sucralose, and I do have a diet soda sometimes. I'll try cutting out the sweeteners for the rest of the induction and see if that stops it. I'll let you know if it makes any difference
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 12:21
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmonkey
I have a sweet taste in my mouth. It's mostly just annoying, although having any taste in my mouth when not eating feels weird and makes me wonder if my breath is foul...or more foul than usual.
Thanks very much.

Hi Badmonkey:
the sweet and fruity taste may be due to ketosis, which you supposed to be on after a week on Induction. what diabetics with high blood sugar have is ketoacedosis, which is not exactly the same. i wonder if you had problems with blood sugar before this WOE, please, don't take any chance, go ahead and get it checked. you can do it at your docs office. for some fokls (myself included) very low carbing can raise blood sugar.
regards,
dina