Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:13

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Heart burn and Gastric reflux

I take prilosec 20 mg /day. I have for over a year and it completely cured my reflux. Just recently, It is back. Up all night last night. The only thing different I have been doing is my water intake. I was wondering if by drinking lots of water, (yesterday I drank 1.5 gallons throughout the day.) I am flushing the medicine out of my system. My real question, I guess, is has anyone else had this problem ?

thanks
Nanci
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 08:45

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default LC helped

Sorry--my reflux problems pretty much went away with the LC WOE.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:07
Renovation Cub

Plan: LC
Stats: 330/286/200 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 34%

Same here, I use to get it on a regular basis, haven't since I eliminated the refined carbs/sugar.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-17-03, 11:21

BF:

After I started LC'ing, I tried not taking my medicine. Big mistake. I have hiatal hernia and Barrats esophogus. I guess that I will always have to take these meds. My GE doc says that I will always need them. Rats.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-03, 13:24

Plan: Atkins w/ Veggies
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:BMI: 34.3/29.2/24
Progress: 58%

Is it possible you have H. Pylori disease? It's a common cause of frequent heartburn. If you have any questions about it, please PM me - I have the disease and may be of some help. Feel better!!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 09:01

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I havent had a problem since going Low Carb
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:25
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 159/132/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 113%

IF I EAT A REAL HIGH FAT MEAL LIKE TODAY I HAD CHICKEN SALAD WITH FULL FAT MAYO 15-20 MINS LATER HEARTBURN CITY EVEN AFTER DRINKING 2 QUARTS OF WATER. WHAT UP? AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I CAN TAKE FOR IT.
TUMS ARE OUT OF THE QUESTION AND SO ARE ROLAIDS. SO WHATS A GIRL TO DO?

DAWNA
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 21:43

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Tried ginger?

I used to take ginger capsules a LOT--helped with heartburn some of the time. Try one first, before you try several because if it doesn't work on yours, it's not going to help much either.

Could this be more gall bladder problems than heartburn?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 06:40

BF:

My problem is definitely gastric reflux. I have had an upper GI and a gastroscopy. I have a condition called barrets esophagus due to long term exposure to stomach acid that will never go away according to my doc. he said I will always have to take medicine for it. I was wondering if drinking a lot of water would dilute the medicines effectiveness?

I had my gall bladder removed 25 years ago so thats not it.
Nanci
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 21:10

Plan: Atkins/CKD
Stats: 265/245/198 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MURPHY
IF I EAT A REAL HIGH FAT MEAL LIKE TODAY I HAD CHICKEN SALAD WITH FULL FAT MAYO 15-20 MINS LATER HEARTBURN CITY EVEN AFTER DRINKING 2 QUARTS OF WATER. WHAT UP? AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT I CAN TAKE FOR IT.
TUMS ARE OUT OF THE QUESTION AND SO ARE ROLAIDS. SO WHATS A GIRL TO DO?

DAWNA

For occasional/non-chronic heartburn or stomach acid problems I like to take 1 or 2 tablespoons of baking soda in just enough water to disolve it... gulp it down as fast as you can and have a standby glass of water to to rinse/chase this because it tastes terrible. This works instantly, and you'll probably burp a few times right after because the reaction will make a lot of air in your stomach (just like mixing vinegar and baking soda). This is probably not a good idea if you have high blood pressure problems though because of the high amount of sodium. Although I haven't had to do this while on LC because my acid reflux dissapeared the day I started.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 18:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302.2/302.2/185 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just thought I'd share a personal observation.

I only rarely got heartburn before beginning LC, and during week 2, developed a wicked daily case of heartburn that was making me crazy. The only thing that had changed was that I had switched from bottled water to tap water. Went back to bottled water, and was fine - did a test by drinking tap water for a day and back came the heartburn. It makes no real sense to me, but I've found that I need to drink some kind of filtered water. I prefer spring/bottled water, but in a pinch can drink brita filtered tap water (don't like the taste though). While guessing at a reason with my mother, the only possible cause we could think of was that the minerals in tap water here (in BC) are different to the minerals in tapwater where I grew up (in Ont) and there's something in there my body just doesn't like...

While it logically made no sense, I've decided to go with it - with not a single case of heartburn since. Since you said you've been drinking a lot more water, have you changed the "type" of water that you're drinking?

Wynter
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 09:25

BF:

It isnt the water..........Just the amount of it that has changed. Given: I have gastric reflux and barrets esophagus and must take medication for it from now on. When I drink large ammounts of water........over a gallon per day, I have reflux at night. I had a thought that since the medicine is excreted in urine through the kidneys, maybe I am getting rid of the medicine so it isnt there at night to do its thing......????????????