Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 21:10
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/195/170 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 64%
Question Dextrose,Conola Syrup.

Alright,I went shopping for more inventory at Jewel today. and I got the pre made salads (Iceberg Lettuce), and I was searching for some dressing,every dressing had sugar in it,and some had corn syrup. I did find this dressing with non of that except it had Conola Syrup...now is that bad? and what is Dextrose.can I have that also? oh and before I forget,what salad dressings do you guys recommend?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 21:24

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The lowest carb ones are the creamy ones: Ranch, Caesar. The VERY lowest salad dressing is just oil and vinegar.

Dextrose is another word for a kind of sugar. I know of "Canola oil" (formerly called rapeseed) but just discovered that it's called Conola in the US in some places. Was is a syrup or an oil?

Usually in bottled dressings, if some kind of sugar is the 4th or 5th ingredient (or later) in the list, then it's pretty safe to use.

Check the "carbs per serving" - if it's about 2-3 in 2 tablespoons, then I'd go ahead and enjoy it. You can cut the carbs by tossing the salad with some olive oil first. (This is called 'fatiguing the lettuce'). Then you add some of the bottled dressing (measure how much) and toss again.

If you're going to buy the ready made salads, how about something different than iceberg? Romaine and other dark lettuces have more nutrients than iceberg. Those 'baby greens' are good too - if more expensive.

Last edited by tofi : Thu, Nov-06-03 at 21:26.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 08:53

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

You'll want to look at "better" dressings.

In the produce section of your supermarket, there are bound to be some refrigerated dressings. Very often, these are less "artificial" than what you'd find in the salad dressing aisle.

Marie's Super Premium Bleu Cheese is my personal favorite. <1g carbs per serving, plenty of healthy fats. It's great.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 08:56
Anyone?? Bueller?

Stats: 140/135/125 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 33%

[QUOTE=tofi]You can cut the carbs by tossing the salad with some olive oil first. (This is called 'fatiguing the lettuce'). Then you add some of the bottled dressing (measure how much) and toss again.[QUOTE]

Interesting! How exactly does this work to cut the carbs?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 10:16

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I highly recommend just using salad oil....mmmm...I cant stand any of the other dressings.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:00

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

I stick with any dressing that is all natural. I use Newman's Own Olive Oil and Vinegar Dressing. It has 150 cal, 16 grams of fat, 0 protein and 1 carb per 2 Tablespoons. The best thing is this dressing doesn't have to be refrigerated so you can have it with you on the go all the time. It's also high in fat so it's a great way to up your fat % for the day! I usually have this dressing with a chicken caesar salad.

It does have under 1 gram of sugar but it's very minimal. The ingredients are all natural it doesn't contain any corn syrup or dextrose which are both considered to be sugars.

Good Luck!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 15:26
Registered Member

Stats: 240/195/170 Male 6'2
BF:
Progress: 64%
Unhappy

So Basically I should eat darker lettuces and I cant have Dextrose b/c its sugar,but I know im drinking Diet Rite and dosent that have Dextrose?....arrr....can someone give me a list of common foods you put in your fridgerator....pllleeaasse...yar

oh yea and its Conola Syrup. im sure. b/c when ever I think syrup.I think pure sugar.

wait,what the heck....the pre-made lettuce I bout have 2 grams of sugar....0 fat,and 3 grams of carbs,minus the Dietery Fiber...2g.......errr its got sugar...! is it suppose to ......gah!

Last edited by StephenS : Fri, Nov-07-03 at 15:31.