Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 07:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%
Unhappy Flax Oil capsules bad?

I'm reading Susan Weed's book on menopause and she says that people shouldn't take flax oil capsules for more than a few months because of cancer risk. However, she says it is ok to use cold pressed oil or grind your own flax seeds. Is this a recognized position?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-07-03, 01:38

Plan: adkins
Stats: 190/165/125 Female 66inches
BF:around 30%
Progress:

hi
this is reaqlly strange,because my vet is rxing this for our bullmastif,who had cancereous systs removed,along with some other vitamens to help prevent them from coming back,I have switdhed him to the golden flax seeds,because it is easier than the big jell cap to put in his food.I have been taken the capsil for many years to help with my m.s.Who really knows.No cancer here,just m.s.and diabetes
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-08-03, 11:57

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default First I've heard of it.

I take the position that my cancer risk is so dramatically reduced by living healthy, that a couple of flax capsules aren't going to be where the problem is. And I take up to 10 a day.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 08:31

Plan: south beach
Stats: 246/249/189 Male 5'6
BF:
Progress: -5%

I don't get it. What's the difference between cold-pressed flax oil that comes in a bottle versus cold-pressed flax oil that comes in softgels?
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I'm not sure either, but apparently there is a difference, since I've read that you would need to take 15 capsules a day to equal the benefit of a straight tablespoon of the oil.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 09:04

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Check the calorie count

In mine, one oil capsule has 10 or 12 calories. A spoonful of the oil has about 120 calories. Therefore, I assume the spoonful has about the same amount of oil as 10 capsules. Cheaper to buy the oil in the bottle, if you can keep it refrigerated; I'm on the road this week and capsules were the only option. I use the oil on salads when I am at home.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 12:20
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
I'm reading Susan Weed's book on menopause and she says that people shouldn't take flax oil capsules for more than a few months because of cancer risk. However, she says it is ok to use cold pressed oil or grind your own flax seeds. Is this a recognized position?

As the others have stated, there's no difference between the flax oil in capsules or the oil in a bottle .. except for the risk that capsules may not be fresh, and that you need to take a LOT of capsules to get the same dose as 1 Tbsp or more of the liquid.

As for the supposed link between flax and cancer .. this is a myth, based on a misunderstanding about phytoestrogens. Flax seed contains phytoestrogens (most plants do, to a greater or lesser degree) but that doesn't mean they act "just like estrogen" in the body. The phytoestrogens in flax are able to hook up to receptors on cells which normally hook up to estrogen. This effectively blocks the effects of excess estrogen on the cells, and is very beneficial. In fact, scientific studies have shown that flax can PREVENT cancers, such as breast, ovarian, prostate and testicular .. and recent studies suggest that daily flax consumption lessened the risk of reccurence in women who already had breast cancer The phytoestrogens are found only in the ground whole seed, not in the oil.

hth,

Doreen