Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Maintenance levels Diabetics and Hypoglycemics

This problem is a long way off for me but I was wondering what type of maintenance plan is recommended for those with blood sugar problems? Do you think when you get to your maintenance level of carbs that means that is a level that is automatically healthy for you because your weight is not changing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 18:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm a ways from maintainence yet as well, but for me the level of carbs that I can have when I reach that point will be that at which my weight is stable and my blood sugars remain in the normal range at all times.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 19:01
Registered Member

Lisa what if the place where your blood sugar is stable is much below where your maintenance level is? Is there a way to manage that (well sometimes it seems like I'm on that plan).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 19:20

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm not quite sure what you mean. My maintainence level of carbs will depend more on my blood sugars than on my weight. If you mean that your level of carbs where you can maintain your weight is higher than at which you can maintain your blood sugar at a stable point, then the blood sugars are the more important issue to focus on. If I need more calories to maintain my weight, that can easily be done by increasing my fat percentage which is blood sugar neutral so as not to upset that balance with my blood sugar readings. It's going to take quite a bit of tweaking and experimenting to find the right balance, but right now that's at least a year off for me yet.

Last edited by Lisa N : Wed, Nov-05-03 at 19:22.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 22:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Lisa, I agree. Blood sugar must be maintained primarily.I am not exactly sure when I became hypoglycemic but I do know that I noticed symptoms when I began gaining weight. I kept a low weight almost all of my life. I never weighed more than 125 lbs. but the last 13 years I have put on close to 40 lbs. I know that I must keep the glucose balanced.

Black57
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 23:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

This is a problem way in the future for me too, but I feel that I had better make sure my blood sugars are normal as a priority. I imagine I will always have to eat a lower carb diet than my husband.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 12:09
Registered Member

thanks for your replies. I guess when I started atkins I wanted my maintenance level of carbs to be as high as possible. Now I've found that having lower carbs has 'cured' my hypoglycemia and I don't know if I would feel as good if I raised my carbs. I wonder what the carb cutoff level is to be healthy?