Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 05:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/196/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Unhappy Help! I gained 6 lbs

After 6 weeks of induction I was thrilled when I finally lost 8 lbs, that was last Thursday and this morning when I weighed I was up 6lbs. I eat bacon and eggs every morning, most of the time omelette style. For lunch I either have a cheeseburger patty with spinach or a salad. For an afternoon snack I eat macadamia nuts. For dinner, I may eat tuna salad. For the last week I have been eating vienna sausages as either a snack or sometimes with a vegetable as a meal.
I drink 80-100oz of water a day, and 2 glasses of DR with heavy cream(2 T)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 05:10

Stats: 173/127.2/123 Female 5'1&1/2"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Wink Hi

Checking for salt would me the first thing I would do. Sausage, bacon, cheese, etc. are high sodium, not to say you shouldn't have them, as they are Low Carb foods, but if the sodium tally is high, maybe you could compensate in other ways, such as ..instead of salad dressing on your salads...oil and vinigar..(sodium free)...or lower salt bacon..or something like that. It's worth a look see...hope that helps...good luck...Edie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 05:57

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Try dropping the cream. Might be too early for nuts... find another snack like celery or cheese. Vienna sausages are loaded with sodium... try something lower in salt!

Those are the changes I'd try.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 06:09

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

The first thing not to do is panic! Your body naturally varies by a couple of pounds on a daily basis depending upon the extent of water retention. Unless you have been eating lots of carbs that extra weight is water weight.

Firstly, is TOM around the corner? For many this is a cause of putting on several pounds, up to 7 pounds, all water which goes within a week.

Secondly, as already mentioned, have you had extra salt lately. Salty items make you retain water.

Thirdly, quite a lot of what you are eating, is high in fat. Whilst this is not a low calorie regime, for some like myself, you do have to watch the calories. You want to be eating around 2,000 carlories a day, but not a lot more. You can work out your calorie intake, along with carb, protein, fat intake using Fitday. I find that when I eat over 1,800 calories for several days that I put on weight as my body is retaining more water.

This way of eating does work, see my photos, but it takes time and if you have a history of dieting, as I did, it takes quite a long time for it to happen.

Every success for the future.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:11

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hello, I have to agree with the others those little vienna sausages, are not a good choice, Darn eh? try have more variety in your meats, like some pork or chicken, turkey, and try stay away for the high sodium, even the bacon can be a problem if your are eating in daily and if it's not a low sodium and better yet no nitrate style. You have to be careful buying sausages/ham, many have hidden carbs, not to mention that sodium again, but, yep
Have you tried turkey bacon? It's lower in salt and fat, not to be pushing low fat, LOL, but, lets face it, can't get any fattier than bacon
Anyhow keep drinking that water, it will help get rid of the water gain you have

Cheers Kathy
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 160/143/125 Female 5-6
BF:got/luv/handles
Progress: 49%

IM going to repeat everyone else, cut all of that processed junk out! Eating processed foods is often convienent, but start planning meals ahead of time. What is your calorie intake? I dont think cream will harm you unless you go overboard, it is very high in calories. This is just water that you gained im sure. My way fluctates constantly, now Im back up to 140, was 139, went up to 142. Its pretty normal, so I would worry about the scales too much. This has been very hard for me, I still weigh myself everyday, but I really dont care what the number says.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 10:23
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi!

first of all - congratulations on your progress so far!

This 'gain' is most certainly due to water retention, you can't put on so much fat in such a short time. Fluctuations in weight are very common on this plan in the beginning. Very often sudden water retention is a sign of big weight loss coming your way!

Take care, you are doing just fine.......

Alina
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:33
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you sooooo much for the support, I refuse to go off the diet as I am diabetic, and the best news is my blood sugar has gone from 200 to 117 without pills or shots.. WOOHOOOOO! I was just thinking that if I posted what I ate yall could help me out. Now that I think about it, I was eating the Vienna sausages a few weeks back and stopped for a couple of weeks and that's when I dropped the 8 lbs. So I'm tossing the little devils!!! Do yall have any ideas what to eat besides bacon and eggs in the morning,I'm really starting to get tired of them. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:03

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

One thing I noticed is that you only have veggies at lunch? I found that the more veggies I ate, the better I lost! Fewer cravings, fewer snacks, more energy.
Try making omelettes, there are so many choices and you won't feel compelled to have bacon so often. (Been there, eaten that.) My favorite omelettes are:

Mexican: jack cheese in the middle, no-sugar salsa on top OR guacamole with sour cream on top

All American: low sugar ham with cheddar

Vegetable: broccoli with swiss, mushrooms with spinach and havarti, tomato with mozzarella

The combinations are truly endless. However, don't get stuck with "breakfast foods." If a chicken leg appeals to you, have that. I often have salads for breakfast, if I'm in the mood. Another great one is whole fat yogurt with berries, chopped pecans, and a bit of splenda as long as yogurt doesn't make you stall (it doesn't seem to affect me, but I only have it a couple times a week.)
Some people like the low carb hot cereals, like Cream of Flax. I intend to get some now that winter's coming.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:08
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

try eating 1/2 an avacado... or I eat salad sometimes in the morning... or some cucumber sourcream salad... yummy... Breakfast doesn't necessarily have to mean breakfast foods... variety is the key... so you don't get bored...
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 16:21
Registered Member

BF:

thank you so much, i was beginning to wish i could skip breakfast!!!
the one thing that i just don't get is, yesterday and today i weigh 200, whether in the morning afternoon or night, seems like the food and water would tip the scales, maybe my scales have gone nutsy!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 17:15
Registered Member

BF:

I went to Fit day and figured up what I am getting percentage wise
Total calories 1763
Fat 70%
Carbs 2% 20 grams and 10 of those are dietary
Protein 28%

Wow it was amazing looking at my calorie intake, especially the sodium and calories.. gonna drop the nuts