Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 14:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/205/145 Female 5'5 inches
BF:dont know
Progress: 28%
Default Anyone on Induction having Bowel problems?

I am on day 5 of induction and its either this diet or the stomach flu becasue i have major diarehea (spelling?) and alot of gas.
Anyone else experience this? If so when does it end???

thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:07
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/131/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%

are you eating LC candy by any chance? That always gets me.

Also, drastically changing your fiber intake can also mess you up - are you eating a lot more (or less) fiber than before?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:07
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Usuaslly the problem run in the other direction, and people get blocked up. Maybe it would be best if you tell us what you are eating, someone may be able to find a cause there. Also when I start drinking a lot of water for the first time, this can have an effect on me.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:17
Registered Member

Plan: Modified LC
Stats: 221/160/146 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 81%

I had trouble in the beginning with a strong case of the Texas Two Step (no disrespect to Texans intended!). I tried EVERYTHING and then got the bright idea to take an Imodium. That was it... no more trouble! Now if I cut back to induction levels and it upsets my system I take one pill and keep moving.

Karla
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 18:33

Im eating the Atkins Bars and i had 2 of the No carb reese peanut butter cup (not all in the same day) otherwise im just having salad and chicken etc....

Ive been drinking lots of water for a while now so its not that....?????
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 18:37

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

The Atkins bars may be the culprit. Also most people will advise you to avoid these until you are through with induction. Same for the sugar free candies of any kind.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 19:59

WHy? If i eat them after induction wont the same thing happen anyway? Im missing something here....whats the difference.
Atkins says advantage bars are ok for phase 1.

Someone please help
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:10

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 000/000/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 0%

It's the Atkins bars...
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:38

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

THe Atkins bars and the sugar free candies have sugar alcohols in them and that has a tendacy to loosen you up a bit. I had the problem the other way and the bars help me with that. BUt I usually only limit my self to one on the days I do eat them. I don't eat them every day.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 20:42

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

The sugar alcohols in the candies especially are powerful LAXATIVES! Watch the serving size and NEVER exceed it.

In my opinion and experience, it is really best to stick with real food from the Induction list. The bars and candy should be a sometime (not daily) treat. I know they say that the bars are OK for Induction but a search of this site will show dozens of threads where people stalled until they stopped the bars and candy.

Psyllium is the cure for both constipation and diarrhea. You can get capsules of psyllium husk powder in most health food stores.

For an article on Sugar Alcohols, go up to the orange strip across the top of this page & click on Low Carb Tips and scroll down.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 22:30

Plan: Atkins Diet (OWL)
Stats: 210/198/150 Female 5'5"
BF:????
Progress: 20%
Question

I had the bowel issue on day 3 or 4 myself. I have a problem with constipation normally anyways. I think alot of it has to do with the Atkins Bar (Endulge). I made the mistake of taking Phillips Chews and had the trots!!!! I also had an Endulge bar and found that it isn't wise during Induction. I know why now....

I just ordered some of that Source Naturals - Psyllium Husk Powder. I hope that will help some of my issues out.

I find that my cravings are getting better. I miss bread and pastas. Does anyone know how to make Low Carb bread without that Atkins Bake Mix? I've been doing a little research and found Almond Flour or Soy Flour lower in carbs. Has anyone used these yet???? Just want to have stuff on hand for the next phases.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 00:11

Plan: MY OWN
Stats: 192.9/187.3/100 Female 59in
BF:30%/30%/20%
Progress: 6%

Hey. It may not be the Atkins bars. I don't eat them and I have had diarrhea as well. I am on day 9 and had it from day 2 until day 7 and now am quite regular. I was doing the BFL way of eating and was constantly constipated with the occasional good one! LOL So it's great now that I had diarrhea as it was a kind o a clean out and now things are 'normal'. I think it's just the exra fats in the diet that we are not used to. Everybody is different in the way he handle food in our diets.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 00:29
Registered Member

Stats: 223/201/175 Female 63 inches
BF:Want Some of mine?
Progress: 46%

It depends on which Atkins bars we are talking about too. There is a huge difference between the Endulge candy bars and the Advantage "meal" bars. The Advantage wrapper that I am looking at now only has 3g of sugar alcohol and a ton of fiber...11g. Thats equal to 21 capsules of Metamucil!!!

On this board, people tend to just say Atkins bars, without specifing which kind.

Jaimie

Last edited by DrmCorpMom : Tue, Nov-11-03 at 00:31.