Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 00:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/204/180 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Default cheated, lost lbs, fixed constipation and fatigue

Strange thing happened. I was end of 2nd week and really wanting to go off diet because of bad constipation and not losing any more weight in 2nd week (I actually gained).

So they had cake at work and I had a big piece with milk. then a candy bar at night. Then the next day I went and had Hooters Wings! My favorite for the past 14 years. They're breaded and had diet coke (aspertame) and even a few fries and bite of candy later. Low carb pancakes for breakfast and milk.

So, am I out of ketosis? Not at all, deep purple even more than before. I went to the gym and finally had enough energy to complete my normal routine since going on the diet! I even ran further than I could in 2 weeks and lifted more with more reps. I had energy (probably from the carbs). My constipation has cleared up a bit and I lost weight for first time since my first week.

I think I actually needed to ADD carbs for the energy and to get my body going again. I was bloated, in pain, and tired before. I felt deprived and felt it was "unnatural". I'm gonna buy berries and honeydew tomorrow and not cut my carbs too low anymore. I almost went off it completely, but I still think eating meat and berries is a more natural way to eat than processed foods like pastas and snacks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 06:49

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Sounds like you're learning to 'tweak' this WOE to suit you Rob. That's exactly the thing to do, every body is different and needs different things. I always ate more carbs than Induction, couldn't survive on it, and since then, definitely add in carbs for a good workout - like you, I found I couldn 't do a good workout on very low carbs and figured the workout mattered more than added carbs - its seems to work.

Good for you, keep experimenting!
Jay
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 06:55

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Certainly if you are exercising - running AND weight lifting - I would think you'd need more carbs that Induction. You might want to check out the Exercise Forum and read about good timing for the "carb feeds" in relation to exercise.

Your gain could actually be muscle tissue being developed from the exercise during Induction. Do your clothes fit any differently? LCers tend to weigh more when they look to be at goal than low-cal or low-fat dieters because the body composition is different: more lean muscle mass.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 07:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I still think eating meat and berries is a more natural way to eat than processed foods like pastas and snacks.

I couldn't agree more! After all, the heart of low carbing is to eat more whole, natural unprocessed foods and less (or no) highly processed frankenfoods.
Ummm...you are eating your veggies, right?
I think you probably know that cake and breading aren't the best way to add carbs, so good for you on adding that fruit instead!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 09:20

Plan: carbohydrate addicts plan
Stats: 170/162/135 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 23%

I had same difficulty with constipation. added bran muffin and prunes to my reward meal and that has helped significantly.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 15:15

Plan: Atkins- OWL/Pre-M
Stats: 165/144/140 Female 70 inches (5' 10")
BF:30%/19.28%/19%?
Progress: 84%

Rob ...
I totally understand about needing more carbs and the inability to do your usual workout at very low carbs.

I found that once I raised my carbs I was losing faster and performing much better. Atkins also says that people who are more actice will have a higher tolerence for (good) carbs than those who are inactive.

Congratulations on finding your personal needs ... remember too that all carbs are not alike ... I will always need to stay away from or really moderate the carbs that put weight on me ... the "whites" .. refined sugars, white bread, pastas, potatoes, and rice ... and all processed meats.

Good luck to you!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 08:01

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

If you are burning up the carbs (as it sounds like you are doing) then it makes sense that you can tolerate more. Kudos to you for deciding to add foods with nutrients in them instead of the nasty stuff. Way to go!