Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:13
This is the year

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I started in 1997, and since doing Maintenance my good habits (followed most of the time) are:

* writing in a private journal when I feel the need to eat in response to emotion
* Meal planning, which makes a HUGE difference in avoiding temptation
* Picture myself with that carb "hangover" feeling if I am offered candy or other refined carbs
* Pack some LC bars etc if I am going to be staying with non-LCers or if I will be travelling
* And finally, Reward myself for good eating with NON-FOOD things
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 16:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Me too. Lots of veggies. I hate cooking, so it's been an education. But well worth it!!
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 17:25
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

This thread was exactly what I needed! You've all made some great points - some of which really hit home (Kristine!).

I've been on Atkins since March of this year, and have lost 45 lbs. Most of that has been pretty quick, up until now. Now, however, I'm having to readjust "things" - especially my attitude -- now that I no longer have the motivation of regular scale losses.

I've recently started an exercise program, and have become more serious about OWL and finding my CCL after a long time on basically Induction level carbs. It's a challenge! It's really sinking in that this is no quick fix - even eight months later there is still aspects of the WOE to be learned and hurdles to overcome.

I feel like I have more still to learn than to offer, but here's some things that have served me well:
  • Be prepared ALWAYS. Never let the fridge get empty of LC stuff.
  • Clean/chop veggies when you bring them home from the store to make the week easier.
  • Precook meats for weekly lunches.
  • Focus on real food. Keep the LC treats as just that -- RARE treats -- not daily staples.
  • Use the forum and whatever support you need to stay on track.
  • Don't be swayed by pressure from others -- and don't blame others if you cave. Your health and well being are no one's responsibility but your own.
  • Celebrate every accomplishment along the way, no matter how small.
  • Take lots of photos to remind you of progress when the going gets tough.
  • Trust your chosen plan. Don't tinker too much.
  • Take the best of what others have to offer, but remember that everyone is unique and you have to make this work for you.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 20:48

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I think I have a few good habits that are helping me stay on plan:

--I often eat dinner leftovers for breakfast: beef stew, roast chicken, grilled flank steak--you name it. Having protein early in the day keeps me from getting hungry too soon. (Bacon and eggs works too!)

--Whenever I see favorite meats on sale I buy extra and freeze some--the two biggies are ground beef and chicken breasts.

--If my kids don't like what's for dinner, I might take pity and make them a cheese sandwich, but for the most part I'm not worrying about their preferences.

--I know what LC foods I am likely to overeat and I exercise caution (good quality cheese, for example).

--I browse different parts of the forum as often as possible.

Diane
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

>>"Sometimes my inner child needs a good spanking!!!!"

Potatofree, I definitely see your angle on this one. There are a lot of people, especially on Atkins, who really seem shocked and almost panicky initially. It is a sudden, drastic change. The appreciation of good, whole foods comes later. So, if some of the LC replacements soften the blow, that's better than quitting altogether. I think that's the biggest "YMMV" phenomenon I see on this forum: some have to give it up 100% to remain sane, and others have to have some of it to remain sane... opposite philosophies depending on your personality and needs.

Last edited by Kristine : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 21:11.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:28

Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

It's going on 7 months for me now, I reached goal back in August (I think, can't remember exactly.) This is a good thread, it's made me think about just what my habits are. I guess to sum up how I eat now, it would be:

1. I don't let myself get too hungry. This may be unorthodox, but if there isn't anything appropriate to eat in the house, I will have a big spoonful of peanut butter. Fat is my friend, I think a high fat snack with protein (cheese, peanut butter etc) keeps the blood sugar level until a proper meal.

2. I just don't do flour, sugar, rice, pasta or potatoes. Period.

3. I like to think about food like donuts, cookies, potato chips. I don't know why, I just like thinking about them. I also like watching people eat them. Crazy, huh?

4. If I do start to think about eating something I shouldn't, I ask myself, would I rather eat that stuff or be fat again? Then I realize I like the weight I'm at.

Hmmmm. Interesting to think about.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 22:13

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I began Atkins, I always chose real, wholesome foods. I continue to do that but I always have access to a low carb snack. I experiemnted with foods that were once alien to this family, such as fried chicken with soy flour breading ( I didn't know soy flour even existed ). I began eating veggies that I once could only bare to look at such as bell peppers. I began eating vegetables that I left behind with my childhood, such as turnip greens and asparagus. I began eating avocadoes which I had never tasted before in my life. Finally, I can eat meat that once was tabooed by other "real diets". Finally, if it tastes good then it must be good for you!

Healthy, low carb meals are the center of my dietary life. Three meals a day, no less than 3 hours apart. When I am hungry and between meals FIRST: I look at what I had for my previous meal because I shouldn't be hungry ( What did I eat wrong? ). SECOND: I will have a low carb, high protein/fat snack such as cheese or pork rinds ( but only if that it what I feel like eating ). THIRD: I may just be craving something stupid so I will counter that craving with a lc cookie or a piece of lc candy. I never deny myself of eating if I am hungry...hey this is America!

I don't drink plain water. I will drink sparkling flavored waters ( unsweetened ), Ice Water ( flavored, unsweetened ) or good plain old bottled water. I am not a fan of water, therefore, I keep it varied so that I will drink it with enthusiasm.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, don't allow weightloss to be your only gauge of success for this woe.

Black57
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 22:22

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by good2beme
1. I don't let myself get too hungry. This may be unorthodox, but if there isn't anything appropriate to eat in the house, I will have a big spoonful of peanut butter. Fat is my friend, I think a high fat snack with protein (cheese, peanut butter etc) keeps the blood sugar level until a proper meal.

I do this too!!! I don't think that it is unorthodox, it is just different and it is an appetite saver. We always have peanut butter and cheese in the house.

I'd like to add another thing. I do not expect my family to eat like I do. My husband does most of the cooking and he includes a potato or rice with the meals but he makes me plenty of meat and veggies so that I don't have to dip into the illegal stuff. When I makes pasta, he makes the Keto pasta for me. There is chips and doughnuts in the house but I do not touch them, honestly. I think that it is good to be able to live among temptation and resist it.

Black57
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 05:25

Stats: 165/157/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 40%

good to be me:

I like what you said. "I just don't eat ......PERIOD." That helped me.

And I do something similar. I try to think of the HELL of cravings my life will be if I eat that piece of cake or whatever, and think, "Would I rather eat that, or put myself back on the road to 30 pounds overweight and right back into those size 14 jeans?"

Oh, and one more thing. I wanted to explain to everyone that the reason I started this thread is that I seem to be having problems with maintenance. I keep going up and down 5 pounds; up to 3 pounds over. Upon reflection, I see that I have let MANY of my long time good habits slip considerably. Therefore, my life has gone back to being "roller-coasterish". Up down, up down. It's humbling to learn that even when I am 2 pounds UNDER goal, I cannot even have a life saver. My GOD, I'm like a "sugar-head"!!! I had some chocolates at a party one night, and it put me on a 4 day bend. One weekend, during travel, I ate at MdDonalds 4 times. Up 3 pounds. Uh oh. Anyway, maintenance is a learning thing for me. THIS is where I'm going to make it or break it. And it's ALL ABOUT THE HABITS.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 11:17

Stats: 175/129.5/130 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 101%

Word Lady - You brought up a point I'd forgotten, about the fluctuating weight. For myself, I've found I need to weigh myself daily. If I see the scale start to creep up one or two pounds, I will do an induction type WOE for a couple of days. So far, it's worked great for me, although I find I have to eat induction style at least a couple of days a week.

It's definitely a change in lifestyle, to stop looking for weight loss, and just trying to maintain status quo. I think it takes awhile for the new WOE to become a habit.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:11

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Great ideas on this thread! Thanks to everyone. I started this WOE 8/02 and reached goal 5/03. Been able to maintain since then. I've done many of the things others have listed but I want to add one: I am in my car a lot due to my work. Most of the food that is available in rural KS at road-side places is definitely not low carb. Even if there is a restaurant that offers low-carb options, I usually don't want to spend the time or $$ to stop and eat. So, my cooler has become my constant companion, filled with water bottles, raw veggies, cheese, boiled eggs, cooked chicken, nuts, etc. It works for me -- just have to plan ahead.

Cindy
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:27

Plan: Aktins
Stats: 225/185/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I've been LC for 6 months. Planning ahead is definitely a big key to success. As long as eating the sweet substitute foods don't cause a binge, I don't see a problem with them. I use almond and soy flour for breadings. I have become very creative when combining foods so I don't get bored.

I make sure I keep most of the temptations out of the house ( but my DH is not LC and he has crackers, potato chips, and the like around. Halloween candy is still there but strangley enough, I haven't been at all tempted to eat it, because I have some SF Russell Stover to get me through. I even fix potatoes and pasta for my DH and have managed to avoid eating them in large portions. I've had a tablespoon of mashed spuds occasionally, with no terrible repercussions. But I still count every carb I eat! And that helps me maintain a good level week in and week out.

Water is still a high priority. 100 oz a day and I rarely drink anything else.

I have my list of reasons I am on Atkins in my car, office, purse, and on the pantry door and refridgerator at home. That way they are never far from my thoughts. They are the 'good angel' on my shoulder!

I re-read a portion of DANDR every week. This WOE has begun to become second nature.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:48

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Though I've only been at it since July '03, I am thrilled at how much a part of my life this WOE now is.
I remind myself that the high carb does not taste as good as I'm thinking. A few minutes later, I'll realize I was right.
I go look at my now favorite pair of jeans, and imagine having to lie down on the bed to get them on. This one is a real charm!
I always have something portable, like nuts or an Atkins bar, around in my desk or my purse, anytime I'm away from home. I got that tip on this board, and it has been a real lifesaver.

Last edited by adkpam : Mon, Nov-03-03 at 12:50.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 15:45

Plan: ALOT of salads,veggies ec
Stats: 180/160/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 50%

Wow, these are GREAT Posts! This should be a stickey, esp. when we are need ing a reminder or some ideas to boost us up!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 16:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Here's another tip that I thought of:
Don't let yourself get bored with your meals. Boredom is one kiss of death to any WOE because if you are bored, you are way more tempted to eat more "exciting" or "interesting" foods which often are not a part of your WOE.
Try a new recipe at least every week, whether it's a new main dish or a new way of preparing vegetables or even just a plain old new vegetable that you've never tried before. Keep a file of your favorites, whether it's on your computer or a 3 ring binder dedicated to low carb recipes.
Think about it...if you do this, by the end of a year, you'll have 52 new recipes; two years and it will be 104! Some of them you probably won't make again; pitch those. But you'll likely at least find a couple dozen that become a regular part of your meal plan.
Don't be afraid to experiment with new things. Variety is the spice of life!

Here's another challenge for some of you more experienced cooks: take some of your old high carb favorite recipes and see if you can make them low carb or take some of the low carb recipes that you find and find a way to make them even better!

Last edited by Lisa N : Mon, Nov-03-03 at 16:31.