Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:13

Plan: Atkins then CAD
Stats: 130/120/110 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Finished week one and still feel tired...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this message board and so releived that there are people to get advise from! I did Atkins for almost 2 months and lost 10 pounds of the 20 I need to lose. As soon as I added carbs back in I felt tortured and deprived all of the time. I found CAD by mistake but realized it was how I had eaten for most of my life until I quit smoking last year. Quitting seemed to trigger an obsession with sweets and non stop munching that had me completely out of control.

My lack of energy had disapeared while on Atkins induction and has come back full force since switching to CAD. I thought it would taper off but it hasn't gotten any better. I avoid all AS and try to adhere to the CAD rules as strictly as I can. I don't over indulge during RM (using the CALP 1/3 rule) and even forgot to have my dessert last night. I'm very happy with this WOE so far but really have a hard time dealing with the major afternoon slump. Any advice for a newbie? Thanks!

Joanne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 20:09

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 233/192/145 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 47%

Hi Joanne.

Welcome to CAD. You didn't mention how long you have been on CAD. If you just started it might be your body needs to adjust to the carb intake again. It just might take a little getting use to.

If you are finding you are in a slump in the afternoon, you might try a couple of things. Eat more for your lunch CM. I am assuming the slump comes between lunch and dinner, right? Another thing you might try is to have a snack. Make it protein mixed with CM veggies. This might help you a lot. I know the CAD book says not to snack, but sometimes you can't help but not do that..

Another thing you might try, is to read the CALP book. It is CAD that has been refined. You are allowed to eat more during the day and also snacks are legal, so you would not be off of plan. You are already doing the 1/3 balancing for your RM, so that would not change.

I did CAD for over 2 years and ate 2 very small CM's and by my RM, I was so hungry, that I would overeat. I am so glad that I finely switched to CALP. I think this is going to be so much better.

Good luck. Once you find what works for you, I think you will get your energy back. If you have anymore questions please ask. I will try to answer them, or someone else on here will.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 14:57

Plan: Atkins then CAD
Stats: 130/120/110 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks Diane

Thanks for your reply Diane. I have only been doing CAD for one week so far. I'm going to try eating a morning CM and see if it makes a difference. I'm trying to get away from all of the snacking I did with Atkins and want to avoid that for now. Thanks again!

Joanne
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 20:38

BF:

Hi Joanne,

That is probably a good idea to include a morning CM. You probably are not eating enough and that is why you felt so tired all the time. Remember you should not feel hungry on this diet.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 22:05

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Why do the hellers say you can skip breakfast if you want to? That just doesn't seem healthy to me? Other than that, the more I read about CALP, the more I think it is for me! I am making my way through atkins but I will admit, there have been a lot of cheats. I am not proud of myself but it happened and I cannot change that. I feel tired and I have cravings that I never had before I started this WOE. I never liked chocolate before and now I find myself wanting it, it may all be psychological for all I know.

I haven't lost anything in awhile, a month or so. Not because of a stall but because I am not following the Atkins Plan the way it should be. It is hard, in my opinion, to at supper with my boyfriend and not want what he is having. And I am NOT creative in the kitchen, and have no money to be experimenting all the time so my suppers are usually meat and veggies...not too appetizing everyday! I need to do something about it!! Enter CALP.

Since I have rambled long enough, I will ask my questions now, if I can even remember them
1) Would I be able to eat smaller, more frequent meals througout the day (I only read half the CALP book so far)

2) I have dinner later, say about 8 but I work at 12am so I tend to get hungry after supper. Can I have low carb snacks at ALL after my RM or is that the last time to eat for the evening?

Thanks for all of your help!

Last edited by ozziesgirl : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 22:06.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/195 Female 5' 7
BF:28.5
Progress: 0%

Hi all! Smokefree, you might also try to add a Vitamin B-Complex supplement to your daily routine. I have lots more energy, and my mood is better since I've been taking it everyday. Just a suggestion. The best of luck to you, and God Bless.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 07:19

BF:

Hi Steph

I think you might do real well with CALP. You will be able to sit down and have a normal dinner with your boyfriend and you won't feel deprived. In my opinion, CAD/CALP are excellent programs when followed as they should be. If there is something you are craving, all you need to do is wait until your RM to eat it. It is such a livable program.

On the CAD program they don't really allow any snacks.. On CALP it is a little more liberal as far the snacks. You should be able to able to have one, if you feel you need to, after your super. One of the rules of snacking is, no eating for at least 90 minutes between meals, and make sure that it is balanced with protein and CM veggies.

I think as you get into CALP your body will become balanced and you won't have the need to snack. You will be amazed at how well it works. I was on CAD for over 2 years and I never had an urge to snack, ever. When I switched for 3 months on the Insulin Resistance diet, I had to snack 3 times a day. I felt like I was always hungry. I started CALP last Monday, and I have not had to snack at all. I am not hungry. The first 2 days were rough, but now I am fine.

Hope this helps and ifyou have any more questions just ask them.

Good Luck.

Diane
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 14:59

Plan: CAD + South Beach Diet
Stats: 230/177/160
BF:
Progress: 76%

hi steph,

90 minutes between snacks and meals. also, EAT NO MORE THAN 4 TIMES A DAY.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 11:54

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

I had the same problem with being tired... I went off caffeine except for RM, but my mornings and afternoons were horrible. My DH is fighting terminal cancer and is weak, so it has been a tiring year anyway. I now drink black coffee a couple of times a day... not even a full cup, but just a few swallows... it hasn't bothered my weight loss and I feel much more alert than I did before.