Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 23:03
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Question Stuff that interferes with meds

I take armour thyroid in the morning. I like to have a protein shake for breakfast and I usually wait a half hour after I take my pill. The shake is vitamin fortified but does not have iron. Do you think this interferes with the medication. Also I take my potassium and a supplement with chromium, vanadium, vitC and E right after breakfast is this ok?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 09:46
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

I am not sure-but I have heard that vitamins do interfere with thyroid medication-you should take them 4 hours apart. I usually take mine in the morning on an empty stomache and wait for at least 1-2 hours before I eat. My doctor said that it doesn't matter about food, though.

Anyone know for sure?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 10:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 158/142/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 42%

I was told, on Synthroid to wait an hour before eating and 4 hours before calcium. No others were mentioned so I take my multi after my meal....
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 11:02

Stats: 158/142/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 42%

http://synthroid.com/ This site lists lots of the things that interfere with synthroid. I didn't realize about dietary fiber, and Armour will probably have different reactions.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 13:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:

From Mary Shomon's Thyroid Information website ..
Quote:
Many doctors recommend that for best absorption of your thyroid hormone, take it first thing the morning, on an empty stomach, and wait one hour before eating, and at least two hours before taking any vitamin with iron.
However, it's more important to be consistent. If you've been taking your thyroid hormone with breakfast all along, then your bloodtests and dosage are based on taking it that way, and probably best to continue. If you change the way you take your thyroid meds, then you should get your blood levels checked again in 6 - 8 weeks.

More information:
hth,

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 15:07
Registered Member

thanks for the info. The websites were really great. I've only been doing the shake thing about 5 weeks and I guess I really shouldn't add pysllium to it!

This is probably TMI but I usually wake up at 2-3 am so I think I will take it then. Then by 6am I can have anything I want.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 21:29

Plan: Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/140.6/129 Female 5,1
BF:
Progress: 68%

That is what I love from this forum, you always learn!
I had been taking my thyroid medication with my breakfast AND with my multivitamin (Dual Tabs, Twin Lab) which contains 5 mg of iron.
Do you think that would be a good idea to leave the multivitamin for later?
I have had problems with my TSH lately, 2 months ago it was at 18...so IŽm worried for the consistency. For that reason I guess the better would be to take the thyroid pill with breakfast as I have been doing...but how about the multivitamin?
IŽll re-check next week.
Thanks in advance,
Isiar
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 21:32

BF:

I have been taking my thyroid medication with my breakfast AND with my multivitamin (Dual Tabs, Twin Lab) which contains 5 mg of iron.
I have had problems with my TSH lately, 2 months ago it was at 18...so IŽm worried for the consistency. For that reason I guess the better would be to take the thyroid pill with breakfast as I have been doing...but how about the multivitamin?
IŽll re-check my TSH next week.
Thanks,
Isiar
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 21:49
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%

I'm ready to throw my hands up on my thyroid and other meds.... the ONLY way I remember to take them is to take them when I go to bed. I stopped taking my vitamin then because of the conflict... and try to remember to take it durring the day, but I just wind up missing it most of the time. I know I would feel better if I could get my schedule for meds/sups in line.

I HAVE a schedule I wrote out, but rarely stick to it.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 22:38
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isiar
I have been taking my thyroid medication with my breakfast AND with my multivitamin (Dual Tabs, Twin Lab) which contains 5 mg of iron.
IŽll re-check my TSH next week.
Thanks,
Isiar

hi there,

If you change the way you take your thyroid hormone, you need to wait 6 to 8 weeks to get your blood checked again. One week is too soon.

However, if you start having obvious symptoms of too much thyroid hormone, such as racing heartbeat, restlessness, insomnia .. then you'd want to get it checked out right away.

Doreen
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 22:44
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishamoon
I'm ready to throw my hands up on my thyroid and other meds.... the ONLY way I remember to take them is to take them when I go to bed. I stopped taking my vitamin then because of the conflict... and try to remember to take it durring the day, but I just wind up missing it most of the time. I know I would feel better if I could get my schedule for meds/sups in line.

I know what you mean I swear I need a secretary.

I take my thyroid hormone on rising .. and wait about half an hour before I start making breakfast. That's how I've always done it, so I'll keep on with that.

And all those supplements that have to be on empty stomach vs. with food etc etc ... as long as they're not incompatible with one another, I take 'em after meals. I figure that's still better than forgetting to take them at all.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 07:34

BF:

Thank you for the quick response.
I guess I would not do any change for now so I can have some consistency and see my blood results next week.
It was a time that I have been a mess with the medication...I guess I have learn the hard way to give it all the importance that it has. I even count the pills of the week so I make sure that I am taking them. Yes, some days in the past I couldnŽt remember if I took them or not.
Anyway, I hope this time my TSH will be again in normal levels...
Isiar
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 13:54
Registered Member

I used to be absent minded also. Now I put a water bottle and my pill bottle right next to the alarm clock. Hard to miss.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

I have a hard time remembering to take my pill...I have been taking mine at night before bed for about 6 months now because it seems to be the only way I can remember....I tried taking it in the morning but I would forget if I got up at a different time or if I was running late...so I figured I go to bed around the same time every night and I don't eat a couple of hours before bed so I would say this has been the best way for me.