Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 147/135/125 Female 5' 2
BF:
Progress: 55%
Question From Blimpie to Subway...

I posted earlier regarding the Blimpie low-carb menu and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts are regarding Subway salads. I've been getting the tuna (they say there's only mayo in it) with some bacon, cucumbers, olives, pickles, lettuce and oil and vinegar dressing. I'm thinking this is pretty safe to have as I am no longer in Induction. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:58
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

I wouldn't see why it wouldn't be... although they do use low-fat mayo... i think it has a few carbs... so just keep that in mind....

I love Subway...
Eat FRESH!!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 15:34

Plan: Modified Atkin's
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 72%

I ordered a chicken breast salad about a month ago and they asked if I wanted French, Italian, or Ranch (only 3 choices?). So I chose the ranch dressing. I proceeded to cut up my own cheese and my own chicken before drizzling on dressing. This was the WORST salad I have ever had. Nasty, nasty. I looked at the packet of dressing (after I'd eaten a few bites), and it was low fat. I felt horrible...as if they had tricked me into eating it. The "sandwich artist" never said it was low fat. Anyway, blech. I will never eat Subway salads again. A bunch of iceberg lettuce and no choices in dressing. Thanks for letting me vent about Subway. hahah!

~Kelly Deneen
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:00

Stats: 141.5/119/105 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I don't like Subway's salads because they use shredded iceberg and it has no taste, I think they soak it in cold water or something
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

About the only thing that Iceburg lettuce is good for is fiber...otherwise no nutritional value whatsoever. If you're going to have salad, make it the darker greens (the darker the better) such as spinach and romaine.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 00:10

Stats: 155/103/110 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 116%

ditto on the subway salad. I hated it and when I went they ONLY had ranch.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 02:33

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

I never much cared for iceberg lettuce, and eating it in fast food joints over the past month has made me absolutely abhor it! It's just nasty stuff!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 04:45

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

I am sure they have regular ranch. You just have to check the packet before you put it on. It was probably just an honest mistake.

Last edited by cincin11 : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 04:46.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 10:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 193/155/145 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 79%

The subway salad dressings come with nutritional info on the package. I just ask for the packages and choose the lowest carb dressing and base the amount I use on the portion size.
It's been awhile since I've had one, so I don't remember which one was lowest carb, but caesar or oil and vinegar dressings are usually the lowest at restaurants...
They should be patient with you. I usually fib and say I'm diabetic and need to look. They are more than happy to accomodate my time consuming request.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 12:15

Plan: syndromeX
Stats: 231/220/150 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 14%

The subways we go to don't have any other dressings but low fat, which equals higher carb. I have them put on the banana peppers with a little of the juice which I think is mostly vinegar on top. I think it's pretty good with the roast beef and cheese salad.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-02-03, 22:05
Registered Member

Stats: 145/135/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 67%

When I'm "dying" for fast food, or in a hurry, I have a tuna salad from Subway. The tuna is moist enough that I don't have a desire to put dressing on it - I just mix it all up with the cheese, tomato, olives and tomatoes I have them put on.

I haven't tried the other meats or anything on the salad - tuna works for me.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 17:31
Registered Member

Stats: 350/331/200 Female 68 Inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

In March or April Subway will be out with gourmet low-carb salads, using romaine lettuce. Also in about 40 days they will be introducing the low carb wraps (about 5-7 carbs I can't quite remember). I think this is really exciting.

Michelle
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 17:50

Plan: General Low carb
Stats: 302/295/185 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 6%

Psttt.. you don't have to have the salad dressings on the salads. You can also ask them to put on any of the sub sauces (I think theres 7) but tell them how much you want because they have to pour it on. (No individual packages)
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 21:27
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I like Subway's salads. They'll make any sub into a salad for you.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 23:26
Registered Member

Stats: 203/180.5/140 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Several weeks ago I was in the mall before it opened but the food court was open. I stepped up to Subway to order a drink and there was a girl behind me who ordered two of their made fresh salads. When the boy took the lids off the containers the lettuce was brown so it obviously was not fresh.

The girl asked if she could have a salad with fresh lettuce and she was told that was fresh lettuce but he could add some of the shredded lettuce from the bins that hold the sandwich makings. It about turned my stomach just looking at that lettuce but that is the reason I have my salads at home. I realize not all Subway stores are like that and the girl should have just passed but I blame the store because I have never seen a manager in there so a manager can't see what kind of food those kids are selling. I was really amazed that the girl actually bought the two salads looking like that.