Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 10:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%
Default Who's taking CLA?

I've been reading up on it a bit and wondered if it's worth the investment. For those who are taking it.....

Are you working out consistently? Have you noticed a change in your lean muscle mass? Have you noticed a change in your body fat composition? Any side effects? Do you recommend it?

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:25

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I've been taking 3000-4000 g a day since July. I work out inconsistently, but usually for a minimum of 3x a week. While my weight hasn't changed much I have dropped a few inches. And my partner swears that I'm the leanest he's ever seen me (known him for 3+ years). I've weighed as little as 127 lbs during that 3 years, but he says I'm leaner looking now.

So, I guess they're working. I'm going to continue with them if for no other reason than their antioxidant value.

Joan
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:50

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

What is CLA?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:57

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

I have been taking CLA for close to 1 year now. I also take a few other supplements (including but not limited to: chromium, L-Carnitine) so I cannot say that the results are all due to CLA but my results are there.

I work out for 1 to 1.5 hours 5x per week. I have gained a lot of muscle mass which has hurt my weight loss, but in a good way!

I have stopped taking CLA a couple times but I end up adding it back in. I can't say I notice a difference when I stopped versus when I was taking it. I have just heard too many good things about CLA to not take it.

I take three per day (1000mg each I believe).

OG
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 12:05
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I take it as well. Though I'm only doing 2 per day, I may increase it to see if that helps.

It's one of those things that I'm not sure if it helps, but I'm to paraniod to stop in the fear of gaining Not like I'm losing a bleepin thing these days anyway :P
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 12:32

Stats: 238/234/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 6%

What is CLA and what does it do?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 12:34

Stats: 260/211/180 Male 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

#8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 13:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Zone
Stats: 220/176/165 Male 5' 8"
BF:38%/28%/18%
Progress: 80%

The following is taken from www.drsears.com...

"CLA"

Dear Dr. Sears,

I absolutely LOVE the Zone Diet and have been on it six weeks. I am also taking your fish oil capsules and have lost 10 pounds. I read a lot about other nutritional supplements and am currently taking 1400 mg of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA)daily. I understand it reduces body fat and also prevents certain kinds of cancer. This sounds like a WONDERFUL supplement. I would like to have your opinion of CLA. Thanks.

Sue

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Sue,
I was initially very enthusiastic about CLA and weight loss. However, that enthusiasm has been strongly curbed by recent studies demonstrating that CLA induces insulin resistance in humans and causes fatty livers in animals. Based on this new data, I would not recommend CLA at this time.

Dr. Barry Sears
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 14:01

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Well, I have taken CLA for over a year, and it reduced my insulin resistance...or something, because I lost 15 pounds by taking it and making no other lifestyle changes at all (before Atkins.)
My mother says it kills her middle of the night fridge raids.
A friend says she hasn't had to take her allergy medication since she started taking CLA.
Another friend swears she gets more from her workouts now that she is taking it.
And I got more muscle definition without working out!

I haven't seen any studies that show anything bad about CLA. Please post them, anyone, if you can find it.

CLA used to be in our food, for as long as we ate and milked grass eating animals. It's a natural substance, for what that's worth.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 14:55

Stats: 160/143/130 Female 5'6"
BF:32/*?!*!!/20
Progress: 57%

Here's a link to some info about that insulin resistance study.
I'm interested in people's experience with CLA - I'm trying to shift my last 8 pounds and wondering if this would help. On the other hand, I seem to take so many supplements I rattle right now and my bank balance is suffering!

Anyway, here's the link
http://www.raysahelian.com/cla.html
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 15:35

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

Somewhat easier to read info on CLA....

http://www.supplementwatch.com/supa...supplementId=88

Last edited by scorpio381 : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 15:38.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 21:11

Stats: 297.5/272.5/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

So where do you guys get this? Is the cheapest place to get it GNC or somewhere online?
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 21:13
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
On the other hand, I seem to take so many supplements I rattle right now and my bank balance is suffering!

Gah I know what you mean. I've been trying to find the cheapest sources available, but I still spend way way way to much on suppliments. Plus takin ga handful of pills after every meal gets really old, really fast. I just am not sure which I really need to help with the weight loss, so make sure to have them all :P
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 21:37

Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%

I take CLA and did notice a difference when I started taking it - boosted weight loss a bit and now I feel it does help in inches lost.

I understand that 3000 mg is a "maintenance" level once you have achieved your weight loss goal, and for weight loss effect you need at least 4-6000 mg daily (and as mentioned this supplement is not cheap, esp if you get the Tonalin kind which is best absorbed).

I currently take 4000 mg per day!

Froufie
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 03:18

Plan: Charles Clark/Atkins
Stats: 164/161/124 Female 5' 4"
BF:28%/28%/21%
Progress: 8%

I took CLA for a month or so and it sent my blood pressure sky high (and up until then my blood pressure has always been perfect!) Also the place I get mine says that you shouldn't take it for periods (sorry will try and look up the link but its at home and I am at work right now)