Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/180/145 Female 5' 3
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Atkins for life?

I was just reading a thread that stated that Atkins for life is different then Atkins? I didn't realize there were two methods to this Atkins diet. I just got the Atkins for life book from the library thinking it was just a newer version of the old book...just started reading it. What's the scoop?

Kris
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:52
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I have not read Atkins For Life, but it's my understanding that it is a book for those who are on maintenance, to help them make this a permenant part of their life to maintain weight. I can't imagine it's a "different diet," just more detailed about the maintenance phase of the Atkins nutritional approach.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:13

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Atkins for life

It is a guideline for maintaining this way of eating for life, for those on or approaching maintenance.

When I started Atkins in April, I bought it along with Dana Carpender's "500 Low Carb Recipes" cookbook.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 08:22

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

The two books are about the same diet. I have both books. I think the focus of the books is different. In Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution, there is a wealth of information of the sceince behind the diet. I think this book is geared toward those embarking on the program. I think there is a lot more info in this book on how to do the initial phases of the diet. I recommend that you get this book from your library too. If you are just getting started, I think this would be the more helpful of the two books.

I agree with the comment above, that the focus of Atkins for Life is controlled carb eating for the rest of your life. There are lots of practical tips and many menu plans and recipes. The meal plans are for those who are ready for higher carb counts -- 45, 60, 80, and 100 net carbs per day.

Just my two cents.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 09:45

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Atkins for Life is designed for maintenance, it doesn't really tell you anything new, but it is packed with great recipes. I started copying some from my MIL's copy, but there were so many I decided I'll just have to buy the book!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 10:16
Gold Member

Plan: Atkins -Maintenance
Stats: 250/132/150 Female 5'6
BF:y, are you hungry?
Progress: 118%

Great Question. I was wondering this myself. Hopefuly it will be on my summer reading list because I will be nearing maintance.

Gabrielle
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 10:57

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I have Atkins for Life. It's about a healthy approach to eating that you "maintain" for "life." He recommends starting out at 60g carbs per day. Some people will lose very nicely on that. Others may not and he suggests that they might want to go lower. It's kind of backwards---starting out at what could be maintenance levels and then backing off the carbs to get to a losing level.

I thought it was very interesting because the vast majority of people, imho, would be at the 60g level on the Schwarzbein Principle, and they tend to lose, although slowly.

I think it is a great book, especially for people who think Atkins is such a nut. This book is for the all the people looking for something doable but not as strict as induction.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 11:57
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The 60g a day starting level is for those who only have a few pounds to lose, he does suggest for those who have more to go through induction.

It is more for maintanance, having easy to reference tables on what you should eat often, in moderation, and rarely.

I got the impression from the book though that it was written to please critics and those who aren't doing the diet as written or having trouble with it. He focuses alot more on the extras you can have on maintanace, and healthy fats instead of saturated.

He also states that in OWL and premaintanance you will reduce protien and fats as you raise carbs. In DANDR he specificaly states you should only be having adiquet protien and high fat, so when you raise carbs, you lower fat while keeping protien the same. I think the first statement was written into Atkins for life, for those who were having massive amounts of protien instead of following the high fat plan.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 12:38
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

Atkins for Life is great for those transitioning to Maintenance. DANDR doesn't really detail too well how to adapt to it but Atkins for LIfe gives lots of sample menus for different levels of maintenance carbs. I really liked the layout compared to DANDR too.