Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 15:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 290/247/165 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 34%
Smile Looking for moms with young kids to gossip and lose together !

Hi there !

My name is Ana, I work from home and have three girls: Twin four year olds and one 7 month old. I have lost a lot already (60 lbs) but still have a long way to go. I've just achieved my goal of breaking the 220 lbs barrier, which for us using the metric system means that I went from the horrible 3 digit 100 kg to a less-horrible 2 digit 97 kg.
I would like to find other moms with young kids who struggle to keep everyone happy (DH is not l-carbing, even though he should...) and lose weight at the same time. I've been l-carbing for over 4 months now and, even though the results have been terrific, I feel that I'm at a point when I need all the encouragement I can get....
Any one interested in comparing notes ?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:33

BF:

Guess I'm the only mom here who likes to chat about her kids and l-carbing...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Was Atkins Now SBD
Stats: 163/142.5/125 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 54%

Hi anacecilia

I have 2 children...a daughter 17 and a son that is 2. I would love to chat and compare notes with you. I have lost about 40 pounds since April of this year.(28 of them low carbing since end of August). My hubby is also NOT doing Atkins with me (he really should be.....but..lol). This is also a huge challenge as he is not very supportive of the "Atkins way".

I hopr to hear from you soon. If you wish you can PM me.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 13:03

BF:

Hi newmee !
Glad you showed up, I was beginning to feel very very lonely here
So you have a 17 year old girl and a 2 year old boy, that's quite a gap between the two. You must have felt like a first time mom all over again! I often think that when my kids are older I won't resist having another one. What can I do, I just love babies!
You said you hubby is not l-carbing. Did he ever try it? Mine did but he never lost an ounce on it. It was really strange, we begun together, ate the same things and I started losing like crazy and his weight wouldn't bulge... He was really disappointed and decided that this 'was just not for him'. I'm convinced that he should have tried harder (I guess it took him 5 weeks to give up) or maybe do something radical like a fat fast to get things moving, but he won't do it. Which is a shame bc cooking two types of food everyday is not fun....
How about you daughter? I hope she does not have a weight problem but would you consider having her on a l-carb plan? At 17 I guess it would be OK, but what do you think of those people who advocate raising you kids on a l-carb WOE? I just don't feel confortable with that...I know this is supposed to be very healthy and everything and I have no problem doing it myseld, but when it comes to kids... My girls are still very young and so far they are not overweight at all, but with the genetics of their parents and a dad that not always set a good example, I fear that this is an issue I'll have to face at some point down the road...On the other hand, I don't want to raise them to be paranoids about their weight.... Anyway, let me get back to work!
Talk to you soon !
Ana
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:28
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi Guys! I'd like to join in your group... Still open for more enrollment?

I have four daughters, 9, 7, 6, and 3. They keep me on my toes. My husband is also not LCing (what's up with these guys?) But is, overall, very supportive.

I started this WOL in September and have lost about 20 lbs. I seem to go in spurts. My step-daughter (9) also has a bit of a weight problem and has been very observant to my new eating patterns. Although, I don't think it is a good idea for her, she has (willingly) reduced a lot of the highcarb treats she used to eat.

I also noticed we are from Brazil, Canada, and USA. Interesting...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 14:47

BF:

Hi Kim, welcome !
Yes, we are an international bunch !
So, I finally found someone with more girls than I have! Isn't it great to have a house full of girls? Of course boys must be great too, but I always wanted to have only girls and that's what I got!
Hummm, you said you step-daughter is 9 and has been cutting on highcarb treats. No matter how you see it, that can only be good for her!
So, tell us how you do it: Do you cook different meals for yourself and for the rest of your family, or do you adapt something and try to please everyone? I tend to go with the second option but it is so hard !
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:38
Registered Member

Stats: 196/166/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hi!

Can I jump in? I have 2 children: 10 year old girl and a 5 year old boy and I work outside of the home.

My husband did not join me on LCing until he tasted one of the LC peanut butter cups. He ate all of my Peanut Butter cups and decided he could do this if he could still satisfy his sweet tooth. So far, he has lost about 15 pounds in 4 weeks and keeps cheating!!! Frankly, it's a little annoying. I never cheat and have lost about 24 pounds in 9 weeks and I work out like crazy. NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR, NOT FAIR. It does make it easy to plan meals and decide on restuarants.

Oh well, we both feel better. It's hard to decide what to feed the kids but we manage. They are so active it doesn't matter, both are skinny.

I'd be interested in what kind of quick meals/snacks you make. For example, in the mornings, I usually eat a Wasa crisp bread with whipped cream cheese and a slice of turkey. It keeps me full for hours and is fast and easy. A couple times a week, I will add cottage cheese with some berries.

For sack lunches, I will make chicken salad on Sunday to take to work during the week. I use: diced red peppers, green onions, slivered almonds, waterchestnuts, sour cream, mayo and some pepper. It's really good and crunchy.

Anacecilia, what's Brazil like? Would love to hear more about it! Newmee, where in Canada do you live? I am going to Banff in March. It is one of my favorite places.

Kate
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 17:40
Registered Member

Stats: 196/166/145 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 59%

BTW, I'm a chicago girl

kate
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 19:08

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/197/140 Female 67in
BF:
Progress: 28%

PICK ME...PICK ME

Stay at home Mom here (ALASKA) with a 16mo. old and a 10 yr old. Both girls!
Only one in my house LC'ing too, but the 10 yr old tried it this summer and lost 10lbs. in one month. I wouldn't let her go under 40 carbs and she did great. Had way more energy than any kid ought to and we had fun planning meals together. She is heavy but not by any means obese. She would still be watching those carbs had I not encouraged her to just enjoy her summer and not worry everytime she went to a sleepover etc.... Needless to say those lbs came back and she is now wanting to start again. After the holidays perhaps.
The man doesn't need it, but is extrememly supportive, says he will love me anyway he can have me. Awwww!
Thanks for letting me share and hope to spill some more later.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 12:15
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Hello All!
Fortunately, my step-daughter's mom and I get along really well and she is actually going to try Atkins based on my (so-far) success. We are hoping that with both of us doing it, she will stick with lower-carb foods both at our house and at her mom's. She tried it with me in the beginning, but didn't buy the book and kinda made her own rules. Then, she couldn't understand why it wasn't working for her.

At home, I don't really alter our meals too much. I usually just cook the Pre-atkins types of meals my family has always ate and then I cook something separate for myself. I haven't really gotten too creative yet although I did make a pizza quishe one night and it was wonderful. Most of the time, I eat the meats and then just skip the potato or the high-carb vegetable and substitute a salad, etc. This week, I found a recipe for a Breakfast Casserole. I made up a big thing of it on Monday and the whole family ate it for breakfast for a couple of days. It worked great because you can just pop it in the microwave for about 40 seconds and Voila! Breakfast is served.

It's funny having all girls. My mom and dad had four girls and drove a mini-van. Now, I am all grown up, have 4 girls and a minivan (However, I kept my smaller sportier car to keep up the youthful feeling every once in a while). "I'm turning into my mother!"

Hope to hear from everyone soon!!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 15:58

BF:

Kim, You are so lucky to get along well with you step-d's mom... I can barely stand my in-laws as it is... Why do people insist on trying to tell you what to do with your life? We have sunday dinner at my in-laws' every week and every week my mother-in-law tries to pick a fight with me over my diet. She simply can't understand that this is something scientifically proven, not something I made up myself.... She'll cook pasta dishes every Sunday, just to provoke me. Of course I know better than to enter into a discussion I know I can't win. You see, I've lost 60 lbs. That's something hard to miss... Did she ever, ever, ever say something about it ? Never. All I hear is that I'm killing myself and that I'm clogging my artheries ans so forth... Argh !!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 16:23

BF:

Hi Kate and smidgie ! Welcome ! I'm sorry I missed your postings - never got an e-mail on them....
Kate, Where I live in Brazil is not that exotic... I live in Rio which is a huge city, not unlike every other huge city in the world (never been to Chicago, so I couldn't make a comparison...). We do have more vegetation than most American cities I've been to, but nothing like the jungle most people tend to imagine when they think of Brazil. The jungle is way up north and frankly I've never been near it and don't plan to. As you know, we are a 'third world country' and this basically means that the poor are really poor and that a large portion of the population in the poorer areas have no access to basic things like good education and health care. That's not the case of Rio, though. Here we live a very good life, with access to everything you could possibly want, just like in the US or in Europe (I've lived in Miami and London, so I can make a good comparison here...). The difference is that labor here is really cheap so most middle class people can afford to have cooks, nannies, drivers... Anyway, I don't think that's a good description of my country, but again it's a huge country and it would be very hard to describe it in a few words...
You are right about men losing weight easier than women. When my DH decides to go on a diet (other than Atkins) he loses weight so fast, it's not fair at all !
Now, smidgie how is it to live in Alaska ? Is it really that cold all the time or is this something we are led to believe (like that Brazil is in the middle of the jungle)? It's great to know that you had a good experience with you daughter l-carbing! This is something I'm very curious about - l-carbing and kids... And you are so right in encouraging her to enjoy the summer. I'm really afraid of having my girls thinking about their weight all the time. They are so young and sometimes I hear them talking to each other (they are twins) and one will say something like "I'm thinner than you". They are already assimilating that thinner = better....
Well, let me get some work done.
Talk to you all later !
Take care.
Ana
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 16:44
Under Construction

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 245/148/140 Female 5'4"
BF:less/than/B4
Progress: 92%

Hi everyone. I have a 9 year old son and work full time outside the home. My DH does not LC either, but he's not too overweight. He is very supportive though. He eats whatever is in front of him, no complaints.....but mostly he cooks for me and he does a good job of keeping LC meals. He gets his carbage in at lunchtime and when we eat seperate meals.
We work together in our own business. He is actually my secretary( very backwards couple). He gets fast food for lunch and I eat either just the meat or make my own lunch plans. We eat seperately a few times a week because of all the activities after school/work. My DS has karate and football practices that total over 11 hours after school and weekends. DH also does karate and is gone until late 2 nights a week. We usually are busy doing something.
I just finished cutting the grass after work and now have to get something cooking for dinner. Tonight is a football/karate night for DH so I'm on my own until it's time to feed DS after 8. Then we need to get out the books and get some studying and a school project started.....

I can't wait for trick or treat...except for the chocolate temptations!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 17:00

Plan: PP
Stats: 183/165/145 Female 5'6
BF:41/39/20's
Progress: 47%

Hi what a great thread, I am the SAH mother of two Ds, 4.5y and Dd 6m. I too have a Dh not officially on the diet but usually don't make carbs at dinner time which both boys don't seem to miss. I have to run off to pick up Ds from preschool but I will definatly pop back in here.

Popping back...So I have been LCing for almost 3m and altho' I am focusing on nursing my baby and my other health issues I have still managed to lose 10 lbs. I am on around 60g carb a day due to the nursing. I love this WOL.
It is strange but my Ds, I think sometimes, would gladly live w/o bread or starch, tho' he does love his sweet snacks. Well I can't think of antything else to add right now.

Last edited by p_rosie : Thu, Oct-30-03 at 18:24.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 07:56
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Anacelia. I am very lucky to get along so well with my step-d's mom. Everyone around us thinks it's great, but strange. I don't have anything against her and I don't see why I should hold the fact that she is the "ex" as a reason for Hatred, besides, she is really a nice person and we actually have a lot in common. Because of the "ex" factor, we have become quite good friends... Wierd! I'm sorry to hear about the problems you are forced to go through with the in-laws. Some people just don't understand. 60 lbs? Wow! That is great. Who cares what they say or do? They are probably either jealouse or have never had to deal with a weight problem. Watch, once you show them that it can safely be done, they will probably jump on the band wagon with the rest of us.

KMcCabe: "They are already assimilating that thinner " I've noticed my girls doing that as well. When they are fighting or something, they will say stuff to my oldest because she is a little overweight. I hope my interest in loosing weight doesn't make the problems worse. I don't want them to think that they have to be skinny to be happy, Ya Know?

I have beein LCing for about 1 1/2 months and also love it. I havent missed bread at all. Last night, I was at the grocery and noticed the Atkins Bread was on sale 3/$5. I bought some and it was really good. I left out a loaf and put the rest in the freezer. I don't think I will eat it too much, but I had a turkey sandwhich last night and... It was really good. I hear the stuff is pretty expensive, so had it not been on sale, I probably would have just stuck without bread.

It has been so nice to meet all of you... I hope we continue to stay in touch.