Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 09:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/209/170 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 30%
Talking This does not feel like a diet to me

[SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]This is great, every other plan I have tried --I failed.
This plan is awesome, cause we have flavour in our plan....while WW- or Food for life are horrible foods....with no flavour...ever try low fat miracle whip....ewe ewe ewwies! Like water...weight watchers bread........as thin as a cracker.

I found myself hungry all the time with these plans, on LC I am full and satisfied and still losing weight and inches.....it's wonderful.
The only thing I won't give up is my coffee....I made cabbage rolls today using cauliflour as my rice substitute....they are very yummy!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

That's because this isn't really a 'diet'! Or more specifically it is, but it is a GOOD diet that we are hopefully sticking with for as long as we live. No more of those nasty 'crash-diets' with yo-yo weight gains and losses! People who turn only go without certain foods for short periods of time cannot truly call this behavior a 'being on a diet' because they go right back to their old eating patterns as soon as they've reduced. It's really the control-factor that makes a WOE a success or failure.

Glad to see you are sticking this one out, and also that you have lost 12 lbs so far! Congratulations!

Last edited by watersidhe : Mon, Oct-27-03 at 14:27.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 15:48
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It doesn't feel like a diet to me either, and I love that. It's the reason I refuse to use fitday.com, which so many people love. I'm glad it helps a lot of people on this site, but I refuse to spend part of my day keeping track of everything that goes into my mouth and balancing out ratios. I do it mentally as I go along during the day, and I keep my carbs under control by making smart choices.

This is so natural for me, just making good food choices and eating whole, unprocessed stuff. And I agree about low-fat Miracle Whip and mayonnaise. It's an abomination.

Edited to add: This is in no way a slam against fitday or those who use it. It is a wonderful program that helps many, many people stay on track. It just doesn't fit for me, and it's not how I want to live my life. This is a life-long series of choices for me, not a "diet" where I track my every calorie.

Last edited by Hilary M : Mon, Oct-27-03 at 15:51.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 16:26

Plan: aitkens
Stats: 216/177/150 Female 5feet5inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Hilary I agree,It is a great way to keep track but it is not what i want to do.Like you I just keep track by watching my choices and even on vacations i did not gain weight and I ate at restaurants all the time.It is the easiest weight loss plan ever and I never feel hungry and I have been on it 5 and half months and lost 27 pounds.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 17:18

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

It isn't a "diet". Diets encourage you to feel hunger. If you are hungry that means that you are losing weight. However, if I am hungry, I want to eat. This way of eating addresses the hunger by not allowing me to go hungry. It teaches one to eat the correct foods that delays hunger BUT if you feel hungry you are supposed to eat. There is so much food to choose from that helps to keep insulin balanced. Insulin, that's it . If we are aware of the game insulin plays with our appetite, we can have control over our appetite. Amazing!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:16
Registered Member

Stats: 130/126/~115 Female 63 & 1/4 inches
BF:22%/20%
Progress:

[QUOTE=black57]It isn't a "diet". Diets encourage you to feel hunger. If you are hungry that means that you are losing weight. QUOTE]

I gotta disagree with this one. There are people out there consuming 150-300 calories a day, exercising whenever their energy allows them to do so, and still managing to gain a couple pounds of fat/water over the course of two weeks. Starvation slows down your metabolism, and it can make a lot of uninformed or desperate people miserable.

That said, I could practically strangle the person who first used the word 'diet' to mean 'change in your eating habits'. When a doctor asks you what your diet is like, he/she doesn't mean just this month's.

I am on a 'diet' for the first time in my life... after years of yo-yo 'eating' and 'starving'. Most of us here are a lot healthier now...It is a great feeling.

Last edited by watersidhe : Mon, Oct-27-03 at 18:21.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 18:41

Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

I think fitday is good for beginners because it really helps you see where you carbs come from (rather than looking up every carb). Because everybody probably has their favorite things to eat and fitday becomes easier after you have posted a couple weeks in there. You can go back and just click "recent foods" and add them. It helps me see if im eating too many carbs. I like it, but its a lot of work. But it keeps my mind on NOT CHEATING or going overboard and realizing what i put in my body. So if im sitting here for hours entering stuff.. well then, i've probably eaten too much. I know you dont have to count on this diet, but I am glad now i dont feel hungry all the time and food doesnt control my life. :-) Cheerz with no booz! :-)
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 19:03
Registered Member

Stats: 199/189/145 Male 5'3
BF:not sure
Progress: 19%

One quick advantage on Atkins is that the cravings for carbs go away after about 3 days of induction. I didn't understand this at first. It's sort of a "withdrawl" of sorts. It's like getting off the carbohydrate roller-coaster of ups and downs. I thought-how can anyone do this for a long length of time? Now I know that it gets much easier the longer you go.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 12:21

Stats: 226/209/170 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 30%

I just wish that WOOSHIE FAIRY would come more for me, such a slow ordeal for me........my clothes are getting baggy but the pounds are staying on............help...
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 12:22

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Hey, sexee_babe,
So what?
Would you rather be losing weight and the clothes fit the same?
You are more than a number...
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:35
Registered Member

Stats: 253/195/175 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The word "diet" has a very negative connotation about it. You can just say that you are on the atkins program or doing the atkins nutritional approach.

TC
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 18:53

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Quote:
I just wish that WOOSHIE FAIRY would come more for me, such a slow ordeal for me........my clothes are getting baggy but the pounds are staying on............help...

You shouldn't feel badly at all! You've lost 12 pounds in two weeks? At least that's how long your profile says you've been at this.

I've been doing Atkins for just under a month and have lost 9 pounds. I am not complaining at all--just glad to have lost it, but if you've only been on Atkins since the middle of October, you have nothing to complain about!

Just remember. Diet has more than one meaning. It originally meant 'the usual food and drink of a human or animal'. I do think of the Atkins nutritional approach as a diet, but I like to think of it as the definition above. As far as 'diets' go, yeah, that old 'die' with a 't' on it--well, those are in my past. My 'diet' is what I eat every day, and it's based on the Atkins plan.