Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 00:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 340/287/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default 6 months LCing and still SO TIRED

Where's all that energy?? I'm still waiting for it to happen. I am still so extremely tired and exhausted all of the time. Someday's it's all I can do just to get out of bed! I watch my carb intake very strictly and average 30 carbs a day. More than that and I start gaining. I take a daily vitamin along with Magnesium, Calcium, Zinc, L-Carnatine, Fish Oil, Potassium and GlucoBalance. I belong to a fitness center and exercise 3 times a week which is really hard to do when I feel so tired, but I make myself go and feel worse afterwards. I had tons more energy before LC, now I feel like a limp dishrag. Anyone else out there having the same problem? Anyone with suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 04:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins /my own
Stats: 164/164.0/120 Female 62.5
BF:
Progress: 0%

Call your doctor and get some bloodwork done. You could still be anemic (despite taking your vitamins and supplements) or have a low thyroid. My dad was anemic this spring, it was from a slowly bleeding stomach ulcer, despite taking a multivitamin and iron pills. Good luck- Michelle
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 07:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

You could also have mono - it's a Spring and Fall disease, typically. Definitely have a complete workup done with your doctor.

You're keeping track of your carbs - do you know how much you're eating, as well? Too few calories (energy) coming in will make you tired - especially if you're working out. Also, approaching TOM you typically find you need more calories.

You're taking the right supplements - are you taken them in the right amounts? Potassium, typically comes in 99mg doses, but you require roughly 400mg a day when actively losing to feel 'OK' - this supplement is chiefly responsible for feeling 'blah', tired and dizzy.

HTH
Nat
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-03, 09:30

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

Well, not everyone can tolerate such few carbs. I personally do not feel right until I eat about 40-50g of carbs a day. Any lower and I'm exhausted, lethargic, and just plain ill feeling.

You may want to up your carbs a little bit and see if that helps.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 22:23
Registered Member

Stats: 340/287/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 28%
Default Thanks

Thanks everyone! I checked the potassium and my daily vitamin is 80 mgs and I take an additional potassium 3 tablets daily which totals 297 mgs, so I guess I'm just shy of the 400 mgs.

Also, the tiredness I described in my earlier post is every day. TOM makes it even worse for about 2 days, but it's always been like that so I didn't even think to mention it.

I did up my carbs as some of you suggested and this week I have been feeling better, not exactly energetic yet, but not falling asleep while walking So I guess I was a little too strict about eating foods containing carbs.

Thanks again for your help.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 10:51

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default B Vitamins?

I get a VERY wiped-out feeling if I'm too low on B vitamins. You might, if you can afford it, try taking more. Just because the bottle says it's "enough" doesn't necessarily mean it's enough for you.

Also, might look at how well you are absorbing the vitamins? Taking with food? For too long, I was taking mine at the same time as my fiber, and I lost a LOT of the vitamins. Now I take them 2 hours apart and I'm getting a bigger bang for the vitamin buck.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 11:00

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I really do feel a difference when I don't take my vitamins. I was just reading that L- Carnitine is known to help with energy as well. I take it twice a day. It's in the Atkins Dieter's Advantage.