Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 11:13

Plan: BFL
Stats: 151/142/? Female 5'9
BF:35%/23%/15%
Progress: 5%
Question help! dumb dumbbell questions

Ok, I seem to be the only person doesn't know this. In the BFL book, when Bill posts his sample charts and he says he used 40 lbs (or 35, or 80) on differnet exercises using dumbbells, does that mean he used 2 20 lb weights or 2 40 lb weights? I' assuming it means 2 20 lb weights.
He recommends getting a set of dumbbells that goes up to 50 lbs. Is that 50 for each dumbbell or 25 each, totaling 50 lbs?

What have you found is a good adjustable poundage to buy (say like a 50 lb set) to start out with? and when I buy this, is there going to be enough to make 2 50 lb dumbbells or only 2 25lb dumbbells?
I am a moderately experienced exerciser and work out 4-5 mornings a week for 30-45 mins doing mostly weights with cardio (as in "the Firm" videos, if anybody is familiar) and can comfortably do long sets of dumbbell extensions (triceps) with 20 lbs if thats any indication, about 10 real push ups (maybe at a level 8 or 9) and one arm dumbbell rows with 20 lbs (I have to use two bulky 10 lb weights in one hand and that's the hardest part. I think if I had a heavier weight I'd be able to do more.)

I'm so excited to start but am still foggy about some details. I want to get it cleared up before I make any purchases.

thanks!
Sheri
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 11:50
Mad Scientist

Plan: Healthy eating/lifestyle
Stats: 156/115/115 Female 5'4 - small frame
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi ya Sheri:

I assume he meant 2, 40 lb dumbbells (= 80 lbs). I guess the weights would be dependent on the exercises you plan on doing with them. I find myself using 3 lb to 20 lb dumbbells right now, mostly b/c I generally find it easier to use dumbbells for upper body and barbells for lower body. Plus I have machines. Someone else might be better able to answer your question.

That's great you're taking the BFL plunge!

Wanda
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 14:20

Hi Wanda!
you are always here to save me when I have a dumb question..

Luckily my birthday is coming right up so I asked my husband to get me adjustable weights and possibly a weight bench. Do you recommend an adjustable bench? Our apartment is VERY small and I only want to get one if it's really necessary. If so, do you know of a good one, or which features I should look for? (I'm hopeless, I know!)

Also I was wondering about the diet part of BFL. I intend to follow the eating plan outlined in the book, with the excpetion of severely limiting or eliminating artificial sweeteners and other harmful things (that's Schwarzbein embedded in my brain!) Do you follow the eating plan?
He recommends drinking a shake post resistance. Should I go for a low carb shake (designer whey or carbsense) or one of the others? He really isn't specific enough for me in his book. I wish he went into more detail.
and if I use Designer whey or another protein powder, what can I use to add carbs? I think it was Nat that said fruit doesn't effect your insulin like you want it to post workout so use different carbs. But then they say no fiber so what kind of carbs can I have? Tha really cuts them all out except for sugar!

ugh. I am so confused
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 16:18
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Sheri:

Two things caught my eye: 1) upcoming birthday and 2) apartment. I've seen these stackable dumbbells at my fitness store and often thought they would be perfect for an apartment. They are a bit pricey, though, which is where the birthday part comes in. Oh, I just realized you wrote "adjustable weights". Are you referring to the stackable weights too?

Here's their link if interested: http://www.probell.com/

As for an adjustable bench, yes definately, it's worth it if you can afford the money and the space. I'm probably not the best person to ask about equipment. I just have a cheap Weider bench which is good enough for my needs. It has the adjustable bench (decline, incline and flat) as well as an adjustable barbell rest for doing a chest press and squats. The only problem is that I find the incline isn't high enough for my liking.

Quote:
Also I was wondering about the diet part of BFL. I intend to follow the eating plan outlined in the book, with the excpetion of severely limiting or eliminating artificial sweeteners and other harmful things (that's Schwarzbein embedded in my brain!) Do you follow the eating plan?

That's pretty much what I've done, except I take in more healthy oils than Bill Phillips recommends. The only processed foods I make an exception for is my post lifting workout shake b/c it serves a purpose. I also use a FF yogurt from my HFS that doesn't have any additives in it. I've been posting my menus in my journal if you need some help.

To be honest, eating this way (equal protein:carbs) is the first time in a long time that I'm not hungry (or maybe it's the weight lifting). I don't enjoy the food as much, but I really like being in control of my food. That's kinda the point for a binger like me.

Quote:
if I use Designer whey or another protein powder, what can I use to add carbs? I think it was Nat that said fruit doesn't effect your insulin like you want it to post workout so use different carbs. But then they say no fiber so what kind of carbs can I have? Tha really cuts them all out except for sugar!

Nat posted a link awhile back about the fastest absorbing protein powders. I'll have to find the link. Here it is: Protein Powders. I use a protein powder that's sweetened with stevia and uses natural flavors. I was under the impression that FF yogurt is a good carb to have post lifting. I've been using powdered dextrose in my post workout shakes for the insulin spike with a bit of banana for flavor. The fruit's not the best option, but it's my treat for a hard workout. LOL, sometimes I sound a bit schizophrenic making both plans work. I mean, I buy protein powder without artificial flavors and sweeteners, then I throw in dextrose. But as I said, I make the exception b/c it serves a purpose.

Don't worry, we all started out confused (and I've prolly confused you further ). It'll come.

Wanda

Last edited by wcollier : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 20:38.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 11:34
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 186/160/160 Male 68 inches
BF:?%/15%/10%

Hi Sheri,

I just want to share my experience with weights at home. I almost always workout at a gym now, but I started by working out at home. I have a cheap bench, the back raises on it so you can do incline exercises. It served its purpose.

I started with adjustable weights and they drove me nuts. I spent more time taking weight off and adding weight on then I did working out. I broke down and bought a set of the solid cast iron dumbbells and like them a lot better. If space is an issue, maybe you could make a rack for them, so they won't take up too much floor space.

I've never tried the weights that Wanda provided the link for. They look interesting though, has anyone else tried them?

Arnie
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 19:37

Hi Wanda & Arnie,
Wow! Those are some dumbbells! Unfortunately those are a little out of our budget.
Right after I wrote this, we went out and got adjustable dumbbells, the kind with the "nut" on the end. It was in the back of my mind that they would take too long to adjust but Bill recommends them and I decided I'd rather buy those than a million "free" dumbbells. (Although I already have a few, but only up to 10 lbs)
I see your point, Arnie. It was stressful trying to get them all changed out during my 1 minute and even more so during my 0 min phases! But they seem to do the job just fine. When we have more space maybe I'll invest in those fancy probell ones or just free weights.
We also got a barbell and adjustable weight bench (everything at Target, real professional grade! ) And like yours, Wanda, mine doesn't incline very high.

I'm about to go check out that link and also your journal for ideas. Thank for all the help!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:10
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Arnie:

Quote:
I've never tried the weights that Wanda provided the link for. They look interesting though, has anyone else tried them?

We have the stackable "Power Block" weights, which were kinda the first generation stackable weights. Mine uses a large pin that you insert into the weight stack that you want. I always had a fear that pin might come out in the middle of a set.

When I was looking at the Probar, it uses a dial instead of a pin which seems to be a really nice feature. Plus the shape is better than mine, a true dumbbell shape instead of rectangular, which I find a bit clunky. But then again, my set was a first generation and there may have been design improvements.

It would be interesting to hear comments from someone who's used them. When I'm in my fitness store next, I'll try the Probells out.

Wanda
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 06:31
Get’n Skinny

Stats: 255/211/190 Male 73  (6'1")
BF:40%/30%/lower
Progress: 68%

Sheri you’ve got the key point. Resting intervals between sets (1 min.). I too use solid cast iron dumbbells and find them very convenient. I don’t think I would be able to finish my workout in time if I had to continually change plates. If you do go for an adjustable set, get the kind that have a spring clip, so you can quickly remove the weight, and put your plates on a tree for easy access.

-Dave
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 19:29

Dave, I already bought the "collar" kind and they drive me CRAZY!! I can never get them changed fast enough in my 1 min interval (especially in the 0 min interval!)
I'm pretty sure I'm going to take them back and get a different kind.

Wanda, did you ever get a chance to try out the Probell weights? I'm considering begging my dh for them.
What about the Powerblock set (aren't those the ones you have?) I can't seem to find a price or order form for them on that page. Do you remember how much they were and are you happy with them?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Oct-29-03, 20:34

The probell set only goes up to 30 lbs. I wonder if that will be enough as my strength increases? I wish they made a heavier set.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 07:10
Mad Scientist

BF:

Hi Sheri:

I find anything over 20 lb dumbbells, I have to switch to the barbell b/c my arms feeling like they are pulling out of my sockets. I haven't tried the Probells yet. I'll be in the store probably next week.

The powerblocks have suggested retail prices listed on each of their products (just click on the "products" link). A couple of posts up, I wrote about my experiences with them, but it might be an unfair assessment for the later generation sets. We bought the first generation set back about 7 years ago.

Yeah, those collar kind are a real pain in the arse.

HTH,
Wanda
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 20:31

Hi Wanda,
I like the idea of the powerblock set and how you can make it into a barbell if you buy the special bar. I did some research and found some places in Seattle that sell them so I might go take a looksee.

thanks for the info!

Sheri