Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 21:35

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268.4/207.9/154 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 53%
Exclamation just read.... no words to descibe it

So I have been on atkins for 4 months,,lost just over 20 kilo (43 pound) ,,, but,,, my skin is hanging off me,,, I have seen the diet books and photos in WW and the people they look trim and taut after loosing a heap of weight,,,, have they had the skin cut off??? is it tucked into their underpants??? is it sitting round their ankles on the floor where we can not see???

I walk and walk,,,, anyone got some exercises for reducing the tummy and tightening the skin (all over),,,

if it keeps up at this rate soon I will look like an old pair of socks on the floor,,,,, a bag of bones,,,,,,,, or worse still ................................

......like a turkeys neck!! ( but all over)

Atleast when I was `larger` I was tight...

Anyone else got this problem or do I have a rare disease called ``floppy skin syndrome`` and if so is there a page in this forum for other sufferers?

Rachael
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 21:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 232/230/175 Female 5-7
BF:unsure
Progress: 4%

Cheerio Rachael! First of all Congrats on the weightloss. Just FYI in your profile it says you have been low carb since december 06, 2003. Didnt know if you wanted to fix that :-) But I see four months now in your post.

Anyhoo, im replying because I notice the same thing happening to me. I think we need to perhaps do something besides walking, like toning and building up... I dont know. Maybe someone will reply with something a slap more enlightening hehe. I have only lost a couple lbs but I can feel it sagging in places.. uuuk gross. Its freaking me out ~~~~ :-O

Last edited by stella j : Sat, Oct-25-03 at 21:51.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 22:28

BF:

Hi stella
the reason my start date said 12/6/2003,,,is cause we do out date backwards to you here,,,we do day/month/year...... in usa you do month/day/year.......... lol,,, I know how confusing,,lol,,, lucky i did not start on the 20th July (20/6/03) then you would have been more confused,,,LOL,,,,, what month is the 20th month??,,lol
sorry bout that I changed it to 12th july 2003,,,,
thanks
Rachael
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 22:32

Aww. yur too sweet! thanx for clarifying that for me. You didnt have to change it honey bunch!!! I am sorry for being ditzy. ehehehe. Should have put 2/2 together.

So about the saggin skinny. :-) where do you notice it most? I notice it on my sides. gag me!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 22:35

BF:

I sent you a PM,,,did you get it? yeah on the sides but especially on the tummy..... when I bend over it looks does look like a turkeys neck,,,,,LOL
Rach
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%

I have read various places that people who have rapid weight loss (woo hoo!) get saggy skin sometimes ( ) but that eventually it will 'catch up' to your new body size. I have seen documentaries of really morbidly obese people who have stomach surgery, their skin goes all turkey-esque but it eventually shrinks down.

I think zinc might help, it's a mineral that helps skin elasticity, growth & healing so it may not turn your skin into a rubber band immediately, but it can't hurt. It also prevents mouth ulcers

Katt
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:38

BF:

I shall get some zinc and let you know how it goes,,,, thanks for that...
Rachael
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 22:33

Get some Zinky Winky hopefully along with a drinky winky this weekend.. :-) LOL. Or maybe not.. i'll have to decide if i've been a good enough candidate to deserve it!! I am even more proud of me not drinking any booz (even ultra lights) in more than a week! WOW. YeeehaW!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 17:59

BF:

HI MY NAME IS STELLA AND I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH BOOZE,,, ITS BEEN 7 DAYS NOW....................................................
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 19:38

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

I am no expert, but this is what I have gathered from reading Health Magazines...

Walking is an aerobic exercise and will do nothing for skin. You need a muscle exercise program.

To help reduce excess skin you need to do muscle exercises, that will 'tone' you by tightening the skin.

You can do these at home.

http://www.weightlossforgood.co.uk/exercise_at_home.htm
has some good stomach exercises if you can't do a crunch (without cheating and using your neck - BAD!).

I find these really help.

Apparently, for excess skin the best is to use heavier weights with fewer reps. Build up to this.

If you don't have free weights and want to do the arm exercises for a temporary move I use 3L milk bottles that I gradually fill up with more water. Just find somebody who still drinks Milk though I guess!!

From what I have read, it seems to be very important to do these NOW. It is easier to lose the skin as you lose the weight then to lose it afterwards.

The website I have linked to isn't the best in the world... but on google all I can get is advertsing!! I know there is a really good website I looked at a few months ago that had PICTURES and more safety information... but I can't find it!!!
Anyway, if you are going to go this track there has to be something more on google!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 20:28

BF:

thank you mb for the information,,, I had guessed that i need to start doing these exercises now,,,, call me lazy,,,,,lol,,, my hubby said I need to do sit ups or crunches,,but I thought maybe it had all changed since the last time i attempted sit ups (1972! LOL) I thought maybe it was ``out`` and something else better was ``in``................
Damn shame that,,,,, now I have to tell hubby he was `right`...............or maybe I do them with out him knowing and tell him nothing....... yep
plan B ....I hate the ``i told you so`` routine with the dance he does to match the song.......

MEN!!!

LOL

I will look into it more and will start............MONDAY! LOL
I mean will start this afternoon with 1,000 sit ups and 999 crunches,,,,,,

now where is that new gossip magazine
i bought?????

Rachael............
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 21:02

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

some great sites for you

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/exercises.htm
http://www.helenhall.com/programs/bline.html

i highly recommend pilates for abs.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 21:49

Plan: ex-atkins
Stats: 175/105/115 Female 5 ft 0
BF:
Progress: 117%

Sambalam, thanks so much for linking to those websites.

I had been looking for some more stomach exercises I could do given my inability to do situp's without using my neck/back muslces instead! That Helenhall site has helped me greatly.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 22:30

Plan: paleo
Stats: 145/145/114 Female 161
BF:
Progress: 0%

no worries, i found it to be a great site, i am the same as you with sit ups!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Oct-28-03, 22:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 0/0/0
BF:
Progress: 26%

Hi Jordy

I was in the same boat as you, I have lost 30kgs with more still to go. I noticed my tummy starting to get a little saggy and started doing a lot of reading on the web about what I can do to fix it. I found that skin brushing is very good for tightening the skin. I have been doing it for about 2 months now and have noticed some great improvements especially on the tummy and inner thigh which are the bad areas. Do some searches on the web re: dry skin brushing and you will get a fair idea. If you want to know my technique just send me a PM and I will give you the details. All you need to do it is about 10 minutes a day and a natural bristle brush which you can get from The Body Shop or a good Chemist for about $15.

Wooby

Last edited by wooby : Tue, Oct-28-03 at 22:56.