Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:50

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%
Default Article says Atkins MAY be right

Here is the link to the article. Thought you all might enjoy reading an article that is positive about Atkins. Sorry if it was posted before I did not see it. You know the evidence is there they did the study, yet Dr. Klein still won't believe the results lol. What more do these skeptics want? THE STUDIES ARE OUT(have been out for a while) ATKINS IS GOOD.

Will they ever get over it. The people who ate more lost because they burned the calories digesting it? What kind of crap is that.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet...y.ap/index.html

Last edited by LovableLC : Fri, Oct-24-03 at 10:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 14:46

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
"Dr. Samuel Klein of Washington University, the obesity organization's president, called the results "hard to believe" and said perhaps the people eating more calories also got more exercise or they were less apt to cheat because they were less hungry."

Admitting you are wrong takes a lot of courage...Dr. Klein isn't there yet.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 15:22
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Or perhaps the low-carb dieters lost six pounds of water as well as fat. Does anyone know if this study controlled for water weight loss or actually measured body composition at the beginning and end of the study? This article doesn't say, and neither do most of the other news articles.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The phrase "Calorie is a calorie" does not mean what they think it does. It means that each calorie we get must be accounted for. It could not vanish.

Any machine which uses some type of energy to run (input) and produces some type of energy (output) must satisfy this equation:

Input energy = Output energy + Lost Energy

When we apply this to the human body, it should mean that:

Total energy in the food we eat = Energy we spend on all body activities and energy we store as body fat + Energy we lose with breath, sweat, urine and feces.

We can agree that the equation above must apply to all humen no matter which diet they are on.

Now, why do people on low carb diet lose more weight than others when they receive the same amount of calories? The answer is simple, there is more energy lost in their breath, sweat, urine and feces.

Last edited by Samuel : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 02:36.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 22:34

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

True enough, Samuel, each calorie must be accounted for, as you say. However, hormones, especially insulin, have a huge role in what is used or stored as fat. This is what irks us Atkins believers, that the "calorie is a calorie" people seem to ignore this. 1500 calories from bagels will not be dealt with the same way as 1500 calories from olive oil. I personally think they're dodging this fact, because it would mean the beginning of the end for their beloved pyramid. Like Gary Taubes said in "what if its been a big fat lie,' "endocrinology 101." Cheers, Bill
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 22:45

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

This is my favorite part!

Quote:
In the end, everyone lost weight. Those on the lower-cal, low-carb regimen took off 23 pounds, while people who got the same calories on the lowfat approach lost 17 pounds. The big surprise, though, was that volunteers getting the extra 300 calories a day of low-carb food lost 20 pounds.

So the ones on low-fat lost less than all of them! LOL
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 00:44
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel
Now, why do people on low carb diet lose more weight than others when they receive the same amount of calories? The answer is simple, there is more energy lost in their breath, sweat, urine and feces.

OR, the people on the low-carb, low-calorie diets lost the same amount of fat as the low-fat, low-calorie dieters PLUS the low-carb dieters lost six additional pounds of water weight, due to depletion of glycogen. However, any weight lost due to glycogen depletion will come back if/when one increases one's carb intake to what Dr. Atkins called the CCLM. The only way to know is to control for water balance, and I've checked multiple versions of this study on several news Web sites without finding out whether the study did in fact control for water weight loss.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 01:13
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman
1500 calories from bagels will not be dealt with the same way as 1500 calories from olive oil. I personally think they're dodging this fact,

It's not a fact, it's a theory. Studies like this one of Greene's may help move it from a theory to something that could be called a fact (i.e., a theory backed with lots of studies). However, if Greene's study didn't control for fluid balance in some way, it's essentially worthless with regards to determining the existence or non-existence of a "metabolic advantage." We might as well just smile and attribute our weight loss success to the Low-Carb Fairy.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 01:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
This is my favorite part!

In the end, everyone lost weight. Those on the lower-cal, low-carb regimen took off 23 pounds, while people who got the same calories on the lowfat approach lost 17 pounds.

So the ones on low-fat lost less than all of them! LOL

Or, the ones on the lower-cal, low-carb regimen lost the same amount of fat as the low-fat losers, AND also lost six pounds of water -- which six pounds will only stay off as long as the low-carb dieters stay very low carb.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 03:10
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
OR, the people on the low-carb, low-calorie diets lost the same amount of fat as the low-fat, low-calorie dieters PLUS the low-carb dieters lost six additional pounds of water weight, due to depletion of glycogen.
In order to assume that they lost the same amount of fat, we must assume that the total amount of energy lost in their breath, sweat, urine and feces have been identical. We know they are not. We know for fact that the low carber's urine contains ketones and other dieters urine does not.

Last edited by Samuel : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 03:11.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 03:42
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
In order to assume that they lost the same amount of fat, we must assume that the total amount of energy lost in their breath, sweat, urine and feces have been identical. We know they are not. We know for fact that the low carber's urine contains ketones and other dieters urine does not.

How do you know?

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 03:45.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 08:30
Registered Member

BF:

Because we measure the amount of ketones in our urine every day. Whenever we exceed our allowed carboyhdrate amount for a day, our measurment indicates "no ketones".

I think you need to read "Dr. Atkins new diet revolution" book to learn more about this diet. It is nice and interesting to read and should be available at most book stores.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 09:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaman
True enough, Samuel, each calorie must be accounted for, as you say. However, hormones, especially insulin, have a huge role in what is used or stored as fat. This is what irks us Atkins believers, that the "calorie is a calorie" people seem to ignore this. 1500 calories from bagels will not be dealt with the same way as 1500 calories from olive oil. I personally think they're dodging this fact, because it would mean the beginning of the end for their beloved pyramid. Like Gary Taubes said in "what if its been a big fat lie,' "endocrinology 101." Cheers, Bill
Thanks but one thing which is interesting to know is that the energy equation must balance up regardless to any of these factors.

So burning fuel by simple combustion or by using enzymes and hormones should not change anything as long as we put into consideration the energy used to produce the enzymes and hormones. Hormones can be a factor but whatever they do could not violate the energy equation.

Also, whether we eat bagels or olive oil the energy equation must be satisfied. Now, why do we lose more weight when we eat olive oil? it is because more ketones and other energy loaded materials are lost in this case.

Last edited by Samuel : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 10:19.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 14:28
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Because we measure the amount of ketones in our urine every day. Whenever we exceed our allowed carboyhdrate amount for a day, our measurment indicates "no ketones".

That's fine, but I repeat, how do you know other dieters aren't dumping ketones in their urine, too? Is this something you've read somewhere, or are you just pulling that data out of your ass, along with excess ketones? Other diets cause weight loss, too, and that fat has to go somewhere. Unless it's removed by liposuction, it has to be turned into ketone bodies and turned into energy, just like in Atkins dieters.

Quote:
I think you need to read "Dr. Atkins new diet revolution" book to learn more about this diet. It is nice and interesting to read and should be available at most book stores.

It's also available on my bookshelf -- two copies, in fact (I loaned one copy to a friend and needed to refer to the book before she was ready to give it back). If you had checked my profile, you could have seen that I HAVE read DANDR. Unlike you, however, I regard it as a useful tool and not as the "revealed truth" of the One True Orthodox Diet Religion. I think you maybe need to read less and think more.

By the way, in DANDR Dr. Atkins notes that some people on the diet lose weight without having the keto strips change, which contradicts your first pronunciamento.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 14:44
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
Is this something you've read somewhere, or are you just pulling that data out of your ass, along with excess ketones?

Watch the profanity and borderline flaming, please.

If I understand it correctly, higher carb dieters still produce ketones, but they are used as energy by the body. There's not enough to spill over and be excreted to the degree that this occurs in a low carb dieter. This is why health care providers will be alarmed if ketones appear in someone's urine - it takes extreme dieting for a non-LCer to have ketones present.

Lower calorie/higher carb dieters lose their excess glycogen, too. If you're not getting enough calories, I don't see how you could be storing much glycogen. I assume this based on what I've read of the biochemistry as well as my personal experience in low fat/low cal dieting.

Last edited by Kristine : Sun, Oct-26-03 at 14:46.