Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 351/341/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Incident at Work

Today, when I was on the escalator at my place of employment, I had this patron, who I know from coming in at regular interval, come up right behind me on the escalator and told me that she knew that I had a problem and she knew what the solution was. I asked, "what is the problem". Answer: weight. Like I didn't know already. Well, I told her that I didn't think that was anyone's business but my own. Well, she proceeded to tell me about "Atkins" and how it helped her. I told her that I was on "Atkins". I guess it is good to know that there are people like her talking about it but I just don't think it was very nice to point this out to me and that she had the solution. I admit I am a little bit sensitive about my weight and I am doing something about it. When people do things like this it makes me feel even worse and I feel that I am not doing enough to change my weight. I get to thinking that maybe I should lower the amount of food I eat each day. I work in the library so that is why I referred to her as a patron. I know from experience that she is not mentally stable but it still bothers me. Am I being too sensitive?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:45

Stats: 225/192.5/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hi Kathy. I definately don't think you were being overly sensitive. Sometimes people just have to say what's on their mind and don't think about how it's going to sound. You are doing great. We've all had our share of rude comments. Next time (and we all know there's going to be a next time), just ignore it, and consider the source.

Have a great day and keep your head up!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:46

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbluvscats
When people do things like this it makes me feel even worse and I feel that I am not doing enough to change my weight. I get to thinking that maybe I should lower the amount of food I eat each day. I work in the library so that is why I referred to her as a patron. I know from experience that she is not mentally stable but it still bothers me. Am I being too sensitive?

Hi kbluvscats! You're not being too sensitive at all. These kinds of things push my buttons too and, in the past, would trigger me to eat bad stuff because somehow that would temporarily make me feel better, but in the long run add to my problem. You should definitely not lower the amount of food you're eating each day so long as you're on Atikins and following the program. One of the reasons the cravings and urges to cheat are gone are because of the adequate amounts of protein and fat that you are eating in place of the carbs. If you lower the amounts you are eating too much and start becoming hungry between meals, it is more likely you will wind up cheating while at work or elsewhere when you cannot readily find some Atkins friendly food to eat. Just remind yourself that you are doing Atkins for yourself and not for some insensitive patron who is not mentally stable. Once I decided I was not doing Atkins for anyone but me, it put me in a better place where I did not feel like I would have the added stress of trying to please someone else. You're off to a good start, take one day at a time and don't look back on this small speck of unpleasantness from yesterday's journey. Best wishes, Julie.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 08:47

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 302/292/200 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

I don't think you are being too sensitive. I bet she thought she was helping, but there are certain things that you should not remark on unless asked. You should be proud of yourself for starting to work on your weight. It is not her business. Your life is your own personal journey, and you need to take it at your speed.

I would remember that she is not using the same logic and I doubt she was taking your feelings into concideration. You are in the right place to learn about Atkins and controlling weight. Stick with it, and ignore the peanut gallery.

-Jess
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:02

Plan: Atkins & BFL combined
Stats: 239/197.1/140 Female 66 inches.
BF:HIGH/uhh.../18-20%
Progress: 42%

You aren't too sensitive at all! My first thought was to go up to her and tell her you knew she had a little problem and you had the solution. When she asked what the problem was - you kindly respond, "Lack of tact." Your solution, "Zipper for her lip?"

Keep going, you are doing great!!

--Michele
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:04
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks everyone. In the past, something like this would make me go out and eat to comfort myself but since being on Atkins I feel more in control of my eating.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:07
Registered Member

BF:

ESPNLady,

That's too funny! I don't think I need to do that, though, she might report me to administration, if she hadn't already. I used to work at another branch of the library and she came in all the time and we always had problems with her. I wish I could say that to her but I don't think I want to know the consequences of my doing so.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 09:31

Plan: was Atkins now SB
Stats: 200/197.5/175 Female 5' 10"
BF:42/42/23
Progress: 10%

OMG Some people are too stupid to live! You are not too sensitive. I think in some people that little part of your brain that controls what you say, is missing!!
Anyways There used to be a man that worked here (he's retired now) he had no idea how stupid & insulting his remarks were, he thought he was funny! Once He asked me if When I was due knowing that I wasn't pregnant. Another time he made a stupid comment about an outfit I was wearing. He'd do that with everybody, just no brains.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:51
~version 2.0~

Stats: 186/173/145 Female 62 inches
BF:YES.
Progress: 32%

how unthoughtfull and hurtfull... I am sorry you had to go thru that... I think you have the right to feel the way you do... although you are making steps in the right direction... whether the lady knew that or not.
I guess this just goes to show that sometimes when we think we would be helping people (unwarrented help)
Because we are sooo excited about our WOL... we never know if someone has already learned about Atkin's on their own....

It sounds like she could have used alittle bit more tact ...

I guess i, if put in that possition would try my best to imagine that I was so excited about my lifestyle with Atkins... I just wanted to share it with someone...
And would try not to take offense to it...

I know, I know

Easier said than done...
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 10:59

Plan: Atkins/low carb mix
Stats: 206/184/130 Female 5'5"
BF:Size 12
Progress: 29%

No you are not sensitive, that is the rudest thing I have ever heard. It was in NO way her business to comment on your weight. I cannot believe how some people are just complete idiots. She should mind her own business! I'm sorry you had to go through that, you handled it very well. I think I would have flipped my lid.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:00

Stats: 167/132/132 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just consider the source - if she is unstable, no telling what she might say next time. I'm glad to see that you are feeling in control of your eating and the incident didn't make you go eat to comfort yourself. That's what is important about the whole thing!
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 11:57
Registered Member

Stats: 207/177/150 Female 62.75''
BF:Shudder/Awful/Good
Progress: 53%

No, I don't think you were being too sensitive. It was rude of her to tell you that she "knew you had a problem" and that she "had the solution". Also, it doesn't necessarily mean you're not doing enough, it just means you haven't quite gotten there yet. Keep on LCing, and good luck!